• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

We're going to get Killed on the Boards.

Diesel

• Premium Member

If this is it for our 4 and 5 position... we're going to be murdered on the boards.  Our Post defense is going to be kinda soft too. 

Many people believed that Sap had a bad year defensively last year.  The truth is that Sap didn't have an awesome year defensively last year, but he was still very good.   We're looking to go into this season with young players and soft guys and we're going to get KILLED.  I'm not complaining, because I believe it's part of the strategy... Lose  competitively.  However, I take issues with teams that can't rebound because Rebounding is an effort and skill thing.  I think Rebounding is one of the beauties of the game that goes so unnoticed too often. 

Hold on... it's going to be a long ride.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, gurpilo said:

If Collins, Dedmon and Bembry start I would say that we could be close to last season.

Image result for Slow laugh gif

Let's clear something up...  Collins was a bad defender at WFU playing in the ACC.  What makes you think that coming to the pros is going to help his defense?  Please don't say Summer League.  The game is more phyiscal and faster.  As Prince said.. he's going to have to play under the bright lights. 

Dedmon and Bembry are SL heroes but I doubt either of them starts.   There's a lot of hope on Dedmon to wit I say.. being a BU on an established team is much different than being a starter for a rebuilding team.   Also, as it pertains to Bembry... Dude will be lucky to come off the bench.  Offensively he's a walking turnover.  He has to prove that he has the smarts to play at this level. 

The original post was way more about rebounding than defense. You know the "rebounding is a beautiful part of the game". Dedmon and Collins will indeed rebound, Collins more on offensive glass but he will collect rebounds just the same. By mid season thinking we'll be measuring up pretty well on the glass.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Thomas said:

The original post was way more about rebounding than defense. You know the "rebounding is a beautiful part of the game". Dedmon and Collins will indeed rebound, Collins more on offensive glass but he will collect rebounds just the same. By mid season thinking we'll have synced in pretty well on the glass.

Of the crew that's listed, I think Dedmon can be good at rebounding, but part of rebounding is position, the skill, but also team rebounding.  My problem with Bud is I don't think he knows how to use Bigs... Not defensive bigs.   I think he's better with a 2 PF system where he could put a center on the perimeter to guard little guys.   He was spoiled by having Duncan in SA.   Duncan was the ulitmate big who just knew how to do everything.   In his tenure here in Atlanta, he has had Horford, Sap, D8, Moose, Splitter, and others.. He'd rather his bigs let the offensive reb go to focus on defense.   That's not going to lend well to a guy who is a horse down low. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Of the crew that's listed, I think Dedmon can be good at rebounding, but part of rebounding is position, the skill, but also team rebounding.  My problem with Bud is I don't think he knows how to use Bigs... Not defensive bigs.   I think he's better with a 2 PF system where he could put a center on the perimeter to guard little guys.   He was spoiled by having Duncan in SA.   Duncan was the ulitmate big who just knew how to do everything.   In his tenure here in Atlanta, he has had Horford, Sap, D8, Moose, Splitter, and others.. He'd rather his bigs let the offensive reb go to focus on defense.   That's not going to lend well to a guy who is a horse down low. 

So you are admitting that it isn't a player issue because certain lineups gives us a rebounding advantage like the Dedman, Collins, Prince, Bembry, line up right.  All of those players are good rebounders for their respective positions don't you agree?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Actually do agree about that on Bud because getting back on D has always been his mantra, not crashing the offensive glass. Think Dedmon can give us a lot because he does rebound but we have seen him run very well too so am hoping for a good bit of both from him, we're going to need it.

4 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

So you are admitting that it isn't a player issue because certain lineups gives us a rebounding advantage like the Dedman, Collins, Prince, Bembry, line up right.  All of those players are good rebounders for their respective positions don't you agree?

Think all those cats can rebound and will have to emphasize that part of the game this year. By midseason thinking Collins is getting more minutes than Ersan and we will be on the glass a lot by then. Dedmon and Collins combo looks favorable on the glass to me in many games coming up this year. 

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Thomas said:

Think all those cats can rebound and will have to emphasize that part of the game this year. By midseason thinking Collins is getting more minutes than Ersan and we will be on the glass a lot by then. Dedmon and Collins combo looks favorable on the glass to me in many games coming up this year. 

So I don't know what Diesel is talking about..The Hawks have the potential to be an exceptional rebounding team with those kinds of players together.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
Just now, Peoriabird said:

I think this:

Dedmon is young and coming from a system that coached bigs well.  Period.  He fit in that system and knew his role because he had mentors.  Here he will play hard, but it's not going to help that he doesn't have the experience surrounding him or enough of the knowledge to be that guy who can mentor others.   Because Bud doesn't coach Bigs to be defensive rebounding machines, I think that Dedmon will spend a lot of his time trying to find out how he fits. 

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I think this:

Dedmon is young and coming from a system that coached bigs well.  Period.  He fit in that system and knew his role because he had mentors.  Here he will play hard, but it's not going to help that he doesn't have the experience surrounding him or enough of the knowledge to be that guy who can mentor others.   Because Bud doesn't coach Bigs to be defensive rebounding machines, I think that Dedmon will spend a lot of his time trying to find out how he fits. 

Dedmon is 27..how is that young? Plus a rebounder is a rebounder and his numbers tell us that he is a rebounder.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

So I don't know what Diesel is talking about..The Hawks have the potential to be an exceptional rebounding team with those kinds of players together.

I love how people actually believe that Potential means it will happen.   These guys haven't shown that they can do it on this level.  Experience shows that young guys don't immediately live up to the potential and we have a team packed with Young guys.   Let's just wait and see. 

1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

Dedmon is 27..how is that young? Plus a rebounder is a rebounder and his numbers tell us that he is a rebounder.

Has he ever been a full time starter in this league?

what.. 1/4 year experience with that??  OK>. that's young. 

• Premium Member
Just now, Diesel said:

I love how people actually believe that Potential means it will happen.   These guys haven't shown that they can do it on this level.  Experience shows that young guys don't immediately live up to the potential and we have a team packed with Young guys.   Let's just wait and see. 

What are you talking about???? Dedman is a 5 year vet who has started for the Spurs and collected 15 and 15 on one occasion in fewer than 25 minutes of play.  Look up his rebounding rate in the NBA before you spew this nonsense

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

What are you talking about???? Dedman is a 5 year vet (total of 78 starts)  who has started for the Spurs and collected 15 and 15 on one occasion in fewer than 25 minutes of play.  Look up his rebounding rate in the NBA before you spew this nonsense

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Lurker said:

When are you going to quit crying about your precious golden boy being gone?

You mean Sap.. because if you had read what I said, it's basically that we're going to miss what Sap brought defensively and rebounding-wise....  But of course.. you didn't read.. you just continued with your agenda..

As far as Sap.. I'm happy for him.  Actually, I wish that he would have gone to Minny instead of Denver because I would like to see him compete for a ring.   Do I think that we should have kept him....  Lord No.  He doesn't fit our model.  Rather, I wish we could have gotten something for him.