• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Will you sign this guy already?

Peoriabird

• Premium Member

Yeah, posted earlier in the "Give the Colonel your wisdom here" thread...

=========

[same tweet]

Kinda thought they might hold on to him, and just wait to see if Jackson (1st rd pick) developed to be someone they could depend on.

I don't think he makes it through waivers to our slot, but if he does, I for one would have to feel good to see Schlenk pick him up.

2017-07-25_1153.png

• Premium Member

My guess:

CLE and NOP were win-now places. In CLE, their lust for an experienced name, Deron Williams, trumped their willingness to give their D-league phenom a shot. In NOP, it's a similar situation with Rondo going there, and them having just drafted a PG in the 1st round.

In DAL, they were dealing with a revolving door of PGs due to short-term injuries to their established ones, so there never really was a solid opportunity there, even with them in tank mode.

Look like C-VIV would have some type of information on what PF's we are looking at.  To me if we don't sign him it looks weak on Schlenk's part.  Can't even sign a young vet to a reasonable deal ( vet minimum to 2m) for a year.

PointGuard not Po

14 minutes ago, Blunt91 said:

Look like C-VIV would have some type of information on what PF's we are looking at.  To me if we don't sign him it looks weak on Schlenk's part.  Can't even sign a young vet to a reasonable deal ( vet minimum to 2m) for a year.

PointGuards not PF.

• Premium Member

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but just as Brussino was let go on Thu, and we only learned on Sat that he'd been claimed, pretty sure this is the same kind of thing--we won't know until Thu if we or some other team claimed him on waivers.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Some would argue, I'm sure, that Shabazz would be worth an extra win or two potentially. Not that I would agree.

If we pick up a vet, the only rationale would be under the heading of "leadership"--I believe Bud remarked at least once that he really liked how having Calderon seemed to help his other PGs. Unless I missed it, Deron Williams is still out there, along with maybe 3 or 4 other 33-ish guys.

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, Blunt91 said:

I bet he gets claimed by the Phoenix Suns with Brandon Knight being out for the season.

Plausible, but Cook is more of a fit as a 3rd PG for a team than someone you sign and automatically assume will be part of your rotation. There's still no shortage of other PGs on the market if you're not purposely looking for a younger (under 25) player to develop.