• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Kent Bazemore on the new offense

GrimeyKidd

Bazemore used the word “new” however I saw a live interview with Tony Parker maybe just 2 years ago where he said “the spurs offense isn’t as structured as one may think....it’s mostly read and react”

i believe that is the best offensive style to do for such a young team. It allows them to go out there and just play all while trying to make high bbiq plays in the moment rather than thinking too much which is what we saw last year.

these young guys are pretty smart so I like the “just do what feels right” type of offense for them. Gives them a chance to gel and understand what each player likes to do.

of course they still have to use their smarts while doing this and make the right pass, right cut, Space the floor the right way, etc but the pressure isn’t so high on them to execute some set play bud draws up that’s what I like.

defensively bud will be a lot more strict on where and what each player need to be doing in specific and rightfully so.

Edited by JTB
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, JTB said:

Bazemore used the word “new” however I saw a live interview with Tony Parker maybe just 2 years ago where he said “the spurs offense isn’t as structured as one may think....it’s mostly read and react”

i believe that is the best offensive style to do for such a young team. It allows them to go out there and just play all while trying to make high bbiq plays in the moment rather than thinking too much which is what we saw last year.

these young guys are pretty smart so I like the “just do what feels right” type of offense for them. Gives them a chance to gel and understand what each player likes to do.

of course they still have to use their smarts while doing this and make the right pass, right cut, Space the floor the right way, etc but the pressure isn’t so high on them to execute some set play bud draws up that’s what I like.

defensively bud will be a lot more strict on where and what each player need to be doing in specific and rightfully so.

I agree. I expect to see the return of pace and a space, but that only works if you're taking care of the ball and getting stops. I think we can be pretty good defensively, but I'm not so sure about the turnovers. We have some good shooters, but they tend to be sub par defenders. Bud will have to be careful with how many sub par defenders he has on the floor at a time. Ideally you would only have one, but for spacing purposes we may have to have two for periods of time.

• Like 2

The fist 25-35 games are going to be tough. I expect some good games, and some absolute nightmare ones. Too many new guys for the offense to run the way Bud envisions it. But as long as they keep trying and communicate they can have a 'better' last 50ish games. 

We'll just have to take our lumps and hope the guys learn quickly from them - or maybe not so we get a higher draft pick. Chose your particular poison here. 

• Like 1

There are 13 players on the current roster who’s games I don’t know enough about to put and realistic expectation on.  Can’t wait for Sunday for the first glimpse.  

And I’m pretty sure Bud has run his fair share of the “read and react” style.  The main players called upon to hit threes (Babbit, Bellinelli, Ersan, Moose, and I’m guessing Dorsey and Brussino) just have to be respectable to create the floor space that makes everything easier.  Hopefully they show a marked improvement in three point shooting (.341 was abysmal) after bringing in Jent.

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 3:14 PM, frosgrim said:

The fist 25-35 games are going to be tough. I expect some good games, and some absolute nightmare ones. Too many new guys for the offense to run the way Bud envisions it. But as long as they keep trying and communicate they can have a 'better' last 50ish games. 

We'll just have to take our lumps and hope the guys learn quickly from them - or maybe not so we get a higher draft pick. Chose your particular poison here. 

Eh, the last 50ish games will probably bring even more losing, because that's when Travis will trade any vet that might help the team win some games.