• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

10 Years In...

benhillboy

2 minutes ago, AHF said:

Did I just see a bunch of highlights of studs we drafted during our last failed tear down (Al, Josh, etc) and a young vet we were able to get during the early years of that tank (JJ) and a FA we signed during the same period (Zaza) held up as an argument for why we can't have good things if we tear down and rebuild through the draft?

Isn’t it ironic? Don’tcha think?

• Like 1

All you had to do, was accept the Qualifying Offer.  With Chill as our super 6th man, there's no telling how that would've affected our trajectory as a team in 2009 - 2011.  But he got in his feelings, and ruined his NBA career, and future earning potential.  He only made 40 million in his NBA career.  That number could've easily been 80 - 100 million, had he stayed in the league.

• Like 2

• Moderators
12 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

All you had to do, was accept the Qualifying Offer.  With Chill as our super 6th man, there's no telling how that would've affected our trajectory as a team in 2009 - 2011.  But he got in his feelings, and ruined his NBA career, and future earning potential.  He only made 40 million in his NBA career.  That number could've easily been 80 - 100 million, had he stayed in the league.

He definitely washed himself up playing in Greece.  He wasn't really rosterable when he returned.

On 3/12/2018 at 8:44 PM, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Yep . . . the last 10 years were soooooo horrible . . . 

I will NEVER forget this! Man was I hyped that year! To take on the first big 3 in a long time and push them to 7 games was amazing !

if we had bud & ferry  during that time I believe we would have had better playoff series during the 10 year span.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, asdogg said:

We had the talent that last Bk early Sund years but we had bad coaching. Imagine Josh Smith, Joe Johnson, Al Horford, Jeff Teague ,  Zaza  and Jamal Crawford with Bud as the head coach.

Absolutely agree!!!

thats the whole f***ed up thing about the hawks Johnson era...I think those teams with Johnson, smith, horford, Teague, etc didn’t live up to what they could have lived up to under Woody.

had bud had that team I believe there would have been more seasons similar to the “60 win” season prior to that.

23 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Yeah I was so pissed he didn’t stay at that time! You’re right...no telling what the hawks would have looked like had he stayed!

• Moderators

Speaking of ten years in... the Downtown Atlanta Tornado, ten years ago tonight!

5540b0e2e67edc3dd106eb922db176eb_l.jpg

fulton-cotton-mill-lofts-by-savoryexposu

atlanta-tornado.jpg

2362016875_d339873665.jpg

cnn_tornado.jpg

21109-3.jpg

I remember being stuck at a MARTA station for an hour, with no word as to what was going on downtown. And no Twitter yet.

Was anybody at the Hawks game that ended shortly before the tornado touched down around the corner? Dan Dickau was still playing back then... for the Clippers!

https://www.ajc.com/news/local-govt--politics/look-back-the-atlanta-tornado-2008/s2gWIkY2LOoShXeRmHBVGI/

https://ams.confex.com/ams/pdfpapers/147007.pdf

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/news/story?id=3294382

~lw3

On 3/12/2018 at 9:06 PM, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Dynamic Duo

Only thing that got on my nerves during that series besides losing was that damn headband Johnson was wearing! Lol

i kept thinking “who is that guy”....originally Johnson never really wore a head band during his time with the hawks so I just wasn’t use to seeing him like that 

• Moderators

Here was @Brotha2ThaNite's recollection of him and his then 5-year-old kid getting out of Dodge (incl. a funny reference to "Luckie Street")

I go to start to drive down the street. This is when I see the little swirl of wind. I think to myself, "ok, this is not a tornado it nothing but a little wind." That's when large parts of whatever started falling out of the sky. I thought it was (pieces) of the roof falling. This large (piece) hit the car ahead in front of me. One of the horse that pulls the carriage ram the carriage into another car to break free. The horse takes off down the street.

Another Squawker noted damage from the Philips roof above Section 307. So there were signs of trouble even while the Hawks-Clippers game was ongoing.

The Clippers announcers made a joke about how this might be the first outdoor regular season game in a LONG time.

~lw3

• Premium Member
On 3/12/2018 at 10:56 PM, AHF said:

Did I just see a bunch of highlights of studs we drafted during our last failed tear down (Al, Josh, etc) and a young vet we were able to get during the early years of that tank (JJ) and a FA we signed during the same period (Zaza) held up as an argument for why we can't have good things if we tear down and rebuild through the draft?

And it only took TEN FREAKING YEARS OF HELLISH, SUCKTACULAR, GAWDAWFUL BASKETBALL from 2004 to... 

Oh wait.  It didn't take a decade did it? :rolleyes:

On a side note, I often wonder how we would have looked with a better GM,Coach, and normal(?) ownership...and if we had moved one spot up in 2007.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Wretch said:

And it only took TEN FREAKING YEARS OF HELLISH, SUCKTACULAR, GAWDAWFUL BASKETBALL from 2004 to... 

On a side note, I often wonder how we would have looked with a better GM,Coach, and normal(?) ownership...and if we had moved one spot up in 2007.

We did it wrong and still ended up with a tribute page to the results.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Wretch said:

Convenient to ignore 1999-2003.  

• Like 3

On 3/12/2018 at 9:56 PM, AHF said:

We were in an 8 year playoff drought though.  Up until that 2008 playoff series, the last playoff we were in took place in 2000.  We did a failed mini-reset of trying to flip our aging stars, for supposedly younger up and coming stars.  When that didn't work, we ended up having to trade Mutombo . . for precious cap space . . in which we used on Big Dog Robinson.   And don't forget how we flipped our #3 pick for Shareef.

Also . . . the move that most of the fan base supposedly hated, was the move that accelerated our move back to the playoffs.  And that was giving up 2 1st rounders plus paying JJ a boatload of money upfront, to bring him to Atlanta.  And we were fortunate to get him because he wanted to play closer to home, and be "the guy" on his own team.

What the Hawks did, was literally the modern day equivalent of giving up 2 first round picks + Tyler Dorsey . . for the Celtics Jaylen Brown. 

Knight assessed JJ's talent, and guessed right.  Would the fan base approve of Schlenk making such a bold move to acquire Jaylen?

• Moderators
8 hours ago, KB21 said:

Convenient to ignore 1999-2003.  

After getting swept in the playoffs badly with an older roster (age weight at 30 years old) in 1999, the Hawks management team did not tear down and rebuild through the draft.  They tried to hold onto their biggest aging star, trading aging semi-stars (failed)  and tried to keep winning by trading away top draft picks for vets (#3 pick traded for Shareef and #8 pick traded for Big Dog -- Pau Gasol and TJ Ford we hardly knew ye).

1999-2003 is what happens when you try to keep winning with a decaying core and you screw up your trades.  It was in no way an intentional tear down to build in the draft.  It would be the equivalent of us keeping Sap this season and trading away our lottery pick this year for a solid but not great vet.

The team freaking guaranteed it would make the playoffs.  That is not tanking.

• Like 3