• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Travis Schlenk declared NBA Draft plan to take the best guy available

NBASupes

4 hours ago, Watchman said:

My point was, Marvin was supposedly "the best player available" so we passed on Chris Paul or Deron Williams who we really needed.  

There were quite a few who thought Paul or Deron were BPA. That draft does remind me of this one in that there is no clear cut #1.

If Ayton would have propelled Arizona deeper into the NCAA Tourney, things would have been a lot clearer IMO.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Kevin O’Connor from The Ringer, so I am not the only one that sees it. 

He's an idiot. He must not watch Al Horford. Al defends space as well as any big I've seen. Al breaks plays constantly for the best read like a defensive back in football. It is foolish when dumbasses talk Basketball.

Every year people compare someone who got some skill and talent but not super athlete to Horford. Towns, Robinson from Sacramento, and a number of other prospects. No one will ever be Horford. He is as polished and skilled a college prospect can be if he doesn't have elite tools or abilities. 

The closest prospect to Al in this draft is Mikal Bridges. They have a different game. Position and skill set but they are very polished and skilled. Limited ceiling, system players, need touches, need to play with a great coach or they will be overly misused. 

Just now, Buzzard said:

There were quite a few who thought Paul or Deron were BPA. That draft does remind me of this one in that there is no clear cut #1.

If Ayton would have propelled Arizona deeper into the NCAA Tourney, things would have been a lot clearer IMO.

All of these prospects are flawed. All of them. Bridges both Mikal and Miles are straight.

Just now, KB21 said:

I think if Ayton had shown two way ability at all, he would be the number one pick.  

He is such a Shaq Sophomore like prospect. Where he is flawed but goodness, hes talented and his size. Even has offensive day 1 impact but that defense and off the ball offense. I like hes become a better screener but he needs to do more of the ball.

Well this is what I was afraid of....I said this before and after picks 1 & 2 there is no clear cut “best available pick “ throughout the rest of the lottery.

ive seen JJJ, Bagley, Porter jr all mocked at number 3.

i would say Mikal would be the best pick after Ayton and Doncic but that just my opinion 

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, NBASupes said:

When we drafted Marvin. We make a great mistake in not drafting one of the best players in college basketball but drafting someone who had a great looking body and was productive in limited minutes who couldn't start over Jawad Williams and wasn't critical to UNC for wins or losses which was Sean May and Raymond Felton. 

This year, we got four guys who are productive, play the major minutes, are critical to their team as there best player and an offense beast like Kyrie in MPJ. We don't need to mess this one up. You got Bamba, Ayton, Porter, Doncic, and Bagley. Choose one

So these last 2 wins could put us in the position where neither of those players may be available.  

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

All of these prospects are flawed. All of them. Bridges both Mikal and Miles are straight.

Well if we win tonight, thats probably who'll be available when we pick. Along with the 2 pg's..Unfortunately..Im still excited nontheless.....At least 10 players in the draft that have a chance to be something special imo..(Ayton,Bagley,Doncic,MPJ,Bamba,JJJ,Bridges,Bridges, YOung, SExton) Then there's Carter, Shai Gilgeous, etc........Hell, the top 3 guys could bust just as easily as the others ...Just another crapshoot.....

Edited by buckyboy2

• Moderators
55 minutes ago, JTB said:

Well this is what I was afraid of....I said this before and after picks 1 & 2 there is no clear cut “best available pick “ throughout the rest of the lottery.

ive seen JJJ, Bagley, Porter jr all mocked at number 3.

i would say Mikal would be the best pick after Ayton and Doncic but that just my opinion 

The good news is that there are a bunch of prospects who would have been no brainer top picks in some prior draft classes.  I am guessing that whoever goes #8 in this draft would have been top 5 in a lot of years including last year.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, AHF said:

The good news is that there are a bunch of prospects who would have been no brainer top picks in some prior draft classes.  I am guessing that whoever goes #8 in this draft would have been top 5 in a lot of years including last year.

EXactly. A good friend of mine is in love with Miles Bridges' game. SAys he just has a knack for the ball. Im watching some of his highlights/games now. lol. Because we all know whats going to happen on draft lottery night. (we'll fall out of the top 6)THis is Atlanta afterall...:cry:

5 hours ago, buckyboy2 said:

EXactly. A good friend of mine is in love with Miles Bridges' game. SAys he just has a knack for the ball. Im watching some of his highlights/games now. lol. Because we all know whats going to happen on draft lottery night. (we'll fall out of the top 6)THis is Atlanta afterall...:cry:

Lol let’s hope not.

hoping for a good shocker to come to this city.

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

He will be nothing in Atlanta.

He will be something regardless of where he goes.  There isn't a team where his skillset wouldn't fit.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Twinblade said:

He will be nothing in Atlanta.

The self-loathing of some Hawks fans crack me up.

• Like 4

Look at Ekpe he was projected the #6 best player in the 2010 draft, an elite shot blocker with potential on offense. Can't see Schlenk going with Jaren Jackson at all.

Draft10_Udoh_Stern_0.jpg

Strengths: Skilled power forward with a long, lean frame. Has a 7'4 1/2 wingspan ... Nicknamed "The Nightmare" for his demonic shot blocking prowess (3.7 per game as junior) ... Views swatting shots as an art form - always taking proper angles, never leaving his feet until his opponent does, can block shots with either hand and keeps balls in play ... Tremendous offensive rebounder as a result of his length and quickness off the floor (3.6 off, 9.8 total) ... Exhibits solid agility on the perimeter, able to stay in front of quicker guards on pick and roll switches ... Moves his feet well and lateral quickness is much improved ... Has made dramatic developments in his offensive repertoire since his sophomore season at Michigan ... Much more aggressive looking to score (14 ppg) ... Shows the ability to face up opponents with his quick first step and new and improved ball handling skills ... His passing ability and court vision have been a revelation, often acting as a facilitator in Baylor's offense (2.7 ast) ... Reads double teams well and finds the open man. His post skills are on the incline exhibiting solid foot work and a series of quick moves ... Prefers a one power dribble jump hook. Has nice touch on his short range and mid-range jumper ... Has shown flashes of range this season knocking down 7 three pointers. Shooting form is near textbook ... Runs the floor very well for a big. His work ethic can be easily detected in his development as a player in a short period of time ... Has developed some face the basket skills, but will never be confused for being a small forward ...

Weaknesses: Despite improvements, still has a very raw offensive game ... Has the skills, but many subtleties are not yet second nature. Not smooth in the post, often looking uncomfortable and indecisive on what move to attempt ... What is his offensive game? Can do a variety of things, but has no real go to move ... Has struggled with turnovers problems, attempting low percentage passes and overdribbling (2.4 to) ... Needs to add weight and get stronger, especially in his lower body ... Has difficulty holding his ground on defense and maintaining interior position on offense ... Does not finish plays through contact ... Only attempted 4.5 free throws per game last season ... A solid run/jump athlete but lacks explosiveness. Effort on the defensive backboard can be questioned- lackadaisical on box out assignments quite frequently ... Does not play with a killer instinct and needs to get tougher ... Will turn 23 in May making his upside somewhat limited. Ability to add significant strength at this stage of his development is doubtful.