• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Now about that 2019 draft....(ESPN article)

johnnyde

1 hour ago, h4wkfan said:

I will forever be mad at Little for what he did to me by not going to Tech (thank$ duke). However, I'd take him all day in the draft next year. 

Heh, were you on the GT board his father was posting on?  Basically leading us on for months as if GT had a $hot.

Regardless of that, I still think he'll be a really good player.  Similar to Jaylen Brown.

And I'm buying everything you're sellin @Roundfield32

34 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Heh, were you on the GT board his father was posting on?  Basically leading us on for months as if GT had a $hot.

Regardless of that, I still think he'll be a really good player.  Similar to Jaylen Brown.

Is it worse to be a GT fan or Hawks? I only know the Hawks side really.

36 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Unfortunately I fell for it

1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

Is it worse to be a GT fan or Hawks? I only know the Hawks side really.

Hawks fan, by far.  Hawks are on an equal playing field.  GT is not.  Understanding that makes being a fan more palatable.

1 hour ago, h4wkfan said:

Unfortunately I fell for it

We all did for a while.

• Like 2

There is one PG, Garland,  in the top ten and you can say that about the top twenty. It is a good thing we only need a 3rd as a backup right now. I think they have Dallas pegged to high. If Cuban can spend his 20 or so million in a useful manner, they could be chasing but failing to reach an 8th seed.

If they are in the hunt for a playoff spot in December, I expect Cuban will have them keep trying. The man looks absolutely miserable behind their bench when they are losing home games.

• Moderators
14 hours ago, kg01 said:

Hawks fan, by far.  Hawks are on an equal playing field.  GT is not.  

It is crazy to me that in a state with good basketball talent and as the only competitive basketball school in the city of Atlanta that Tech can't recruit better.  I know they have academic standards but so do Duke, Stanford, etc.  If Tech isn't lowering it for the great players like Duke does then that is a deliberate choice they are making (let's not pretend Starbury or Kenny Anderson were Rhodes Scholars). 

They have landed some great recruits (especially during the Bobby Cremins era) so I have to think that if they got a stud recruiter as coach that Tech could resurrect that program in a big way.  That LW3 team was so much fun to watch.  They need to get back there again.

• Like 3

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, kg01 said:

It's been a confluence of a lot of factors since Hewitt.  Hiring Brian Gregory was program suicide.  We're digging out from under a decade plus of crap at this point.

On academics, GT and Duke/Stanford are not in the same argument due to them being liberal arts schools.  We have places to hide guys but everybody's gotta take a certain amount of calc and lab science regardless of major.  Places like Duke/Stan/Wake/Vandy etc. all have dumb-arse classes and degree tracks that we don't have.  They also have sports-friendly admins/professors who pass guys through.  Our professors and admins take pride in failing athletes cause they don't think they should be there.

You guys have your majors where a lot of athletes get funneled specifically because they are massively easier.  Not requiring the calc and lab science for those few majors is easily done.  It is a deliberate choice not to which I don't understand.  No use pretending 95% of the guys on the football and basketball teams are there for the academics.  That is a useless fiction that hurts the school's athletics program.  Just be real and let them do their sports management or basket weaving or whatever without the calc and lab science.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, AHF said:

You guys have your majors where a lot of athletes get funneled specifically because they are massively easier.  Not requiring the calc and lab science for those few majors is easily done.  It is a deliberate choice not to which I don't understand.  No use pretending 95% of the guys on the football and basketball teams are there for the academics.  That is a useless fiction that hurts the school's athletics program.  Just be real and let them do their sports management or basket weaving or whatever without the calc and lab science.

Our Administration doesn't care about any of that thus, as you mention, it is a conscious decision.  As a fan, as long as you understand that, you don't/can't get too up in arms when we fail.  We go into gun fights with a bow and arrow.  Sometimes we turn into freaking Hawkeye and walk outta that b*tch with our life.  Mostly we last about 3 minutes then catch one in the temple.

On top of that, as a state school, the Board of Regents will not allow us to expand our course offerings to include dumb-arse classes like they have at places like UGA (which is where most of them went).  IIUC the reasoning is that other schools in the state offer the courses so there's no reason to dilute academia by allowing GT to have, for example, a sociology degree offering.  Meanwhile, UGA gets approved to add an engineering school.  Interesting dichotomy, huh?

• Like 2

Paul Hewitt pulled in 5 5 stars from 06-09. He just couldn’t coach at all and had an awful contract.(still paying him after he was fired in 2010) Then we had Gregory who couldn’t coach or recruit...he really made Tech irrelevant.

Now we lost Okogie so look for Tech to suck again this year. If Pastner can land his top targets in the 19 and 20 classes then I can see Tech in the tournament soon but it’s a big if. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GThawks3 said:

Paul Hewitt pulled in 5 5 stars from 06-09. He just couldn’t coach at all and had an awful contract.(still paying him after he was fired in 2010) Then we had Gregory who couldn’t coach or recruit...he really made Tech irrelevant.

Now we lost Okogie so look for Tech to suck again this year. If Pastner can land his top targets in the 19 and 20 classes then I can see Tech in the tournament soon but it’s a big if. 

Shii, give me Hewitt over what we dealt with in Gregory.  At the very least, we wouldn't have the consistent talent discrepancy that we face now.  Let's be honest, it doesn't take a brilliant tactician to win at the ncaa level.  Miller at AZ is a horrible coach but he always wins the talent edge.

I'm hoping Pastner can marry the two, coach/recruit.  He's done ok so far but I expect to see a jump starting this season.  And, yes, I need to see improvement despite losing Okogie.  If we're gonna be a 'greater than sum of the parts' team like Pastner claims we will be, we should see better play overall this season.

I feel satisfied that this thread has been properly hijacked, btw.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Shii, give me Hewitt over what we dealt with in Gregory.  At the very least, we wouldn't have the consistent talent discrepancy that we face now.  Let's be honest, it doesn't take a brilliant tactician to win at the ncaa level.  Miller at AZ is a horrible coach but he always wins the talent edge.

I'm hoping Pastner can marry the two, coach/recruit.  He's done ok so far but I expect to see a jump starting this season.  And, yes, I need to see improvement despite losing Okogie.  If we're gonna be a 'greater than sum of the parts' team like Pastner claims we will be, we should see better play overall this season.

I feel satisfied that this thread has been properly hijacked, btw.

Michael Devoe is going to be a player to look forward to.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

How many coaches are GT still paying not to coach @kg01

I think it's just 2 now, Hewitt and Gregory.  I don't think there was an offset in Gregs' deal so our payments aren't offset by what USF pays him.  Thank the former AD for that.

Agreed on Devoe @KB21.  Funny, I lamented during the draft that the list of guys set for GT before they got paid included Sexton, Carter and now Little (future top3 pick) who would've fit nicely with Devoe.

We gotta start paying dudes (again)  Oh no you di'n't :ohmy::happy:.

1 hour ago, AHF said:

When I was looking at getting a Masters in Psychology. I looked into Tech because that would be a like a childhood dream,  even in my early forties, to go there. For that liberal arts degree they required six courses of advanced math; and I am not talking just stats which I can handle.

Needless to say, I did not even apply :deke:

• Like 1

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

When I was looking at getting a Masters in Psychology. I looked into Tech because that would be a like a childhood dream,  even in my early forties, to go there. For that liberal arts degree they required six courses of advanced math; and I am not talking just stats which I can handle.

Needless to say, I did not even apply :deke:

It is kind of crazy to even offer the liberal arts degrees while simultaneously requiring those types of courses.  I haven't been involved with Tech for the last 15 or so years so if they have tried to remove those requirements and offer more courses and been denied by the Board of Regents than that is harsh for them.  Probably the only psych degree in the country (maybe the world?) requiring that kind of math.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, AHF said:

It is kind of crazy to even offer the liberal arts degrees while simultaneously requiring those types of courses.  I haven't been involved with Tech for the last 15 or so years so if they have tried to remove those requirements and offer more courses and been denied by the Board of Regents than that is harsh for them.  Probably the only psych degree in the country (maybe the world?) requiring that kind of math.

Exactly. This was in 2001 or 2002.