• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I know but....

Buzzard

I swear I don't think we are going to push for the playoffs or a big free agent this year but....

PG Dennis, Trae

SG Bazemore, Huerter, Bembry, Dorsey

SF Prince, Bazemore, Bembry

PF Collins, Spellman, Moose

C Boogie, Dedmon

If Boogie gets to 90% of what he was, that lineup is a playoff team in the East. I know why Cuban valued his 2019/20 cap over a potential top ten pick that year. Even if he strikes out on Boogie this year, the free agents available in 2019/20 is one of the most talented groups in NBA history.

I imagine the Pelicans are willing to give Boogie at least something in the 30 million a year range for two or three years guaranteed. So if a team does not come hard at him, they should not come at all.

I like how are young team is shaping up; and having the flexibility to hit a free agent home run in the coming years is icing on the cake.

26 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I swear I don't think we are going to push for the playoffs or a big free agent this year but....

PG Dennis, Trae

SG Bazemore, Huerter, Bembry, Dorsey

SF Prince, Bazemore, Bembry

PF Collins, Spellman, Moose

C Boogie, Dedmon

If Boogie gets to 90% of what he was, that lineup is a playoff team in the East. I know why Cuban valued his 2019/20 cap over a potential top ten pick that year. Even if he strikes out on Boogie this year, the free agents available in 2019/20 is one of the most talented groups in NBA history.

I imagine the Pelicans are willing to give Boogie at least something in the 30 million a year range for two or three years guaranteed. So if a team does not come hard at him, they should not come at all.

I like how are young team is shaping up; and having the flexibility to hit a free agent home run in the coming years is icing on the cake.

The Pelicans have 11 players under contract (4 are not guaranteed). If you include their cap holds (including Rondo and Cousins) they are $36 million over the cap and $19 million over the expected LT.  Giving Cousins $30 million would inflate that number further. They are also expected to give a reasonable ($5 million or more) contract to Rondo.  Can they? Yes!....Will they?...I don't know man. They just barely hung under the LT last year so there is not repeater penalty but New Orleans is not a rich franchise. They can't commit to living in the LT.

• Like 1

Just now, thecampster said:

The Pelicans have 11 players under contract (4 are not guaranteed). If you include their cap holds (including Rondo and Cousins) they are $36 million over the cap and $19 million over the expected LT.  Giving Cousins $30 million would inflate that number further. They are also expected to give a reasonable ($5 million or more) contract to Rondo.  Can they? Yes!....Will they?...I don't know man. They just barely hung under the LT last year so there is not repeater penalty but New Orleans is not a rich franchise. They can't commit to living in the LT.

I read all that also about their bad cap space. The perceived worry is if let let Cousins walk, how pissed off does that make AD?

1 minute ago, EazyRoc said:

He will, somehow, some way, find his way to LA or Boston.

LA could easily sign him. Boston would have to send a lot back in a SNT. That trade would cost them a lot more than just Marcus Smart.

8 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

He will, somehow, some way, find his way to LA or Boston.

The next time Boogie Cousins is playing on a team that makes the playoffs will be the first time.  The Pelicans were just as good without him as they were with him.  He's a great, great individual talent, but he does not help a team win games.  He's the Carmelo Anthony of the center position in the NBA.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Also, they cannot keep Cousins if they want to hold on to any aspirations of resigning Anthony Davis in two years.  Remember that he has a player option for 2020-2021, and he's scheduled to make "only" 28.7 million that season.  

The other side of this is that in his 6 years in New Orleans, they have only been to the playoffs twice, so they are in a catch 22.  They have to make a push to keep making the playoffs because they have lost so much during his first six years.  If they fall out of the playoff picture, then it's a guarantee that he's gone after 8 years.  If they resign Cousins, they probably max out the current roster and do not get much better than the 48 wins they saw this past season, and he leaves after 8 years.

2 hours ago, GThawks3 said:

Yeah will never happend and makes us a treadmill team again.

That really depends on what Trae, Huerter, Prince, Spellman, and Collins do in the next two years. Then add in possibly three 1st round picks next season.

I don't expect it us to chase a big FA this year as I already said. If all you are doing is counting on Cousins to be an all star, then you are right. one all star is not enough.

• Moderators

Given his injury, there is a very strong chance that Cousins will have a down year -- both with some time missed and worse performance -- before rebounding in the 2019-20 season.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AHF said:

Given his injury, there is a very strong chance that Cousins will have a down year -- both with some time missed and worse performance -- before rebounding in the 2019-20 season.  

I also think Cousins injury could take time to recover from. The Pelicans have a serious decision to make on him; one that will determine their long term future. I think we will be chasing a big free agent soon. Ainge chased Horford early in their rebuild and I expect us to chase one in the next two years.

Cousins is interesting.  Given when the injury happened, and the length of recovery, the Hawks could sign him this year, and only have him play the last 20ish games, and even then limit his minutes. I don't think this would affect our win total, but sets us up for a much better 19-20 season.  I wouldn't be against this signing at all.

Cousins is interesting.  Given when the injury happened, and the length of recovery, the Hawks could sign him this year, and only have him play the last 20ish games, and even then limit his minutes. I don't think this would affect our win total, but sets us up for a much better 19-20 season.  I wouldn't be against this signing at all.

If that would be the plan there better be a team option for the 3rd and 4th season. We need this lottery pick more than we need another 1st round exit.

No thanks. Boogie is a frustrating player to watch. It would be a slight upgrade from Dwight. Impressive numbers, but a lot of low effort plays. Saw enough of him in Sac....and NOP were better without him when Davis was able to be the big man. 

10 hours ago, KB21 said:

The next time Boogie Cousins is playing on a team that makes the playoffs will be the first time.  The Pelicans were just as good without him as they were with him.  He's a great, great individual talent, but he does not help a team win games.  He's the Carmelo Anthony of the center position in the NBA.

I do agree. I think he won’t be great until he plays with a real winner with enough clout to make him listen ie LeBron.

11 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

I do agree. I think he won’t be great until he plays with a real winner with enough clout to make him listen ie LeBron.

And there is this. Last season was the first time he tasted success and he was getting good print. He will be 28 in August; just maybe he is ready to be a better team mate and a good leader.

There is no doubt in my mind Boogie was enjoying last season. He is a big man coming off a severe injury. He is high risk and it will be interesting to see who is willing to take the biggest risk on him.

Just now, Buzzard said:

And there is this. Last season was the first time he tasted success and he was getting good print. He will be 28 in August; just maybe he is ready to be a better team mate and a good leader.

There is no doubt in my mind Boogie was enjoying last season. He is a big man coming off a severe injury. He is high risk and it will be interesting to see who is willing to take the biggest risk on him.

This is what I’m thinking. Once he fully embraces the idea of being a much better teammate, he will be great. That’s something Carmelo never got.

5 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

This is what I’m thinking. Once he fully embraces the idea of being a much better teammate, he will be great. That’s something Carmelo never got.

Bron's decision is just run of the mill soap opera drama for me. Boogie and CP3 ( Houston rumored to be balking at a a full max. ) are the most interesting free agent stories that are developing.

1 hour ago, frosgrim said:

I agree with you on this. It is huge risk due to the injury. But how many top tier free agents have we ever signed? My point, it is hard to get max contract free agents to come here. Taking a risk on Cousins may be a way.