• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Media Day/Training Camp/Preseason 2018

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

:approved:

As I watched some of the interviews, one thing was said that really impressed me and I haven't noticed it being mentioned.  I believe it was Vince that said, "Our GM has made it a point to draft and trade for players with  high idealism."

Contrast this with players mentioned in other posts here.

Good point GM. I totally missed it.

• Premium Member

More Vince:

Even in the informal pre-camp workouts over the past few weeks, it’s clear that Carter’s role this year is almost that of the hybrid player-coach of a bygone era – he’ll provide far more value to the organization off the court than he will with his play on it. That’s not to say he won’t get out there and give the team quality minutes when they need him, but from his comments at Media Day to the words we’ve heard from general manager Travis Schlenk and head coach Lloyd Pierce all summer, it’s clear there’s a larger purpose to Carter’s presence on the roster than his ability to space the floor and wow the crowd with 360s and windmills (both of which he says he’ll try to do in a game this season).

Leadership was the word du jour at Media Day as it related to Carter, who didn’t mince words when asked to explain his job with the Hawks: “I’ve taken it as my responsibility. I know who I am, I know what I bring to the table, I know why teams are bringing me on outside of basketball, as far as sharing my knowledge and helping these guys grow and succeed in their new positions as professional players. As long as the guys are open and willing to allow me to get in their ear and get on their nerves, it’s gonna happen.”

A handful of other players were also asked about what Carter brings to the table, though perhaps the strongest endorsement came from rookie big man Omari Spellman. When asked about what it will be like to grow together with a young roster, Spellman brought up Carter’s name unprompted.

“It’s almost more helpful to have a guy like Vince here that I can go talk to and pick his brain whenever there’s something I don’t understand or I’m struggling with,” Spellman said. That’s what I’m most appreciative of.”

• Like 1

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

More Vince:

In signing with Atlanta, Carter knew his primary goal would not be winning the championship that has always eluded him but rather mentoring a team being built around rookie point guard Trae Young (age 20), second-year forward John Collins (21) and emerging wing Taurean Prince (24). Carter is there to make sure all of them understand how to be a professional, what it takes to grind through 82-game seasons and the importance of developing good habits on and off the court. 

That’s especially valuable for Young, who hadn’t been born when Carter was drafted No. 5 overall (the same as Young) in 1998. Though vastly different kinds of players, Carter is as well-positioned as anyone to understand what it’s going to be like for him. As the face of a developing franchise and a player who will produce plenty of highlights and put fans in the seats, Young also will be a lightning rod for critics who don’t think his style is built to win in the playoffs. 

“I just want to give him some things to think about,” said Carter, whose locker is next to Young’s at the team’s practice facility in north Atlanta. “But the common denominator is, do you want to be a superstar? Well let’s go about it the superstar way. Let’s walk the straight line and figure it out and put that with your talents you already have and see what we come up with. These guys have created something, now we’re just trying to mold it to be something great.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2018/09/24/young-hawks-looking-vince-carter-help-shape-championship-future/1415084002

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

In signing with Atlanta, Carter knew his primary goal would not be winning the championship that has always eluded him but rather mentoring a team being built around rookie point guard Trae Young (age 20), second-year forward John Collins (21) and emerging wing Taurean Prince (24). Carter is there to make sure all of them understand how to be a professional, what it takes to grind through 82-game seasons and the importance of developing good habits on and off the court. 

That’s especially valuable for Young, who hadn’t been born when Carter was drafted No. 5 overall (the same as Young) in 1998. Though vastly different kinds of players, Carter is as well-positioned as anyone to understand what it’s going to be like for him. As the face of a developing franchise and a player who will produce plenty of highlights and put fans in the seats, Young also will be a lightning rod for critics who don’t think his style is built to win in the playoffs. 

“I just want to give him some things to think about,” said Carter, whose locker is next to Young’s at the team’s practice facility in north Atlanta. “But the common denominator is, do you want to be a superstar? Well let’s go about it the superstar way. Let’s walk the straight line and figure it out and put that with your talents you already have and see what we come up with. These guys have created something, now we’re just trying to mold it to be something great.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2018/09/24/young-hawks-looking-vince-carter-help-shape-championship-future/1415084002

Love that his locker is next to Trae and he’s coaching up Huerter and Bembry and all the young guns.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

It's so they can hide the fact that they aren't very good this year.   No one knows that.   :ermm:

If no one knows, how come we're rated #30 in a 30 team NBA?  You can't get lower than the bottom!

(Maybe we're better than #30 and we want to keep it a secret!  Maybe #28?)

:approved: