• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Help me understand how this new coach's calling card was DEFENSE

sturt

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, kg01 said:

You're leaving no room for sophomoric laughs though.  Is this a subtle message that I'm not welcome (again)?

Answering your question, not at all.

Answering your statement, that's only if one believes there's no such thing as intelligent sophomoric laughs. I'm not one of those. :)

6 minutes ago, sturt said:

Jent was an NBA head coach... is 18 games not enough? :)

I dunno... I think the fact there isn't anyone with any significant NBA head coach experience just speaks to the player development commitment. You hire a former HC mainly, imo, to be there as bench support and advice during games, but that they didn't is just more affirmation that winning isn't the #1 objective.

You realize who you sound like ..:ohmy: #ShotsFired

I don't think the composition of the staff was an indication they want to lose.  It's simply a poorly-built staff.  I'm predicting now that we'll see this rectified at the end of the season.

4 minutes ago, sturt said:

Answering your question, not at all.

Answering your statement, that's only if one believes there's no such thing as intelligent sophomoric laughs. I'm not one of those. :)

Trust me, if you're doing 'sophomoric' right, there ain't nuthin' intelligent about it.

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I don't think the composition of the staff was an indication they want to lose. 

Didn't say they "want to lose." Said the #1 priority is player development... which means winning isn't the #1 priority. I'm not sure one has to go to any extremes to believe that, when the opening presser of training camp consisted of the media asking questions that assumed that premise, and Schlenk and Pierce sitting up there for all intents and purposes agreeing with that premise.

The composition of the staff, then, was an indication that they wanted coaches with a reputation for being really good with teaching young players. No strategery experts necessary.

The question at-hand, though, wonders if these teachers are any good at teaching defense, or if the perceived problem isn't really so much a problem, but more just a symptom of how fast Pierce wants to play.

29 minutes ago, sturt said:

Jent was an NBA head coach... is 18 games not enough? :)

I dunno... I think the fact there isn't anyone with any significant NBA head coach experience just speaks to the player development commitment. You hire a former HC mainly, imo, to be there as bench support and advice during games, but that they didn't is just more affirmation that winning isn't the #1 objective.

giphy.gif

16 minutes ago, sturt said:

Didn't say they "want to lose." Said the #1 priority is player development... which means winning isn't the #1 priority. I'm not sure one has to go to any extremes to believe that, when the opening presser of training camp consisted of the media asking questions that assumed that premise, and Schlenk and Pierce sitting up there for all intents and purposes agreeing with that premise.

The composition of the staff, then, was an indication that they wanted coaches with a reputation for being really good with teaching young players. No strategery experts necessary.

The question at-hand, though, wonders if these teachers are any good at teaching defense, or if the perceived problem isn't really so much a problem, but more just a symptom of how fast Pierce wants to play.

Fast paced offense and lots of rookies who aren't conditioned for nba games is going to result in bad defense. And the vets like Carter and Len aren't very good defensively either. And our best player is out.

Obviously whatever our strategy is, every team has figured it out during half time adjustments. We've blown 3 straight 3rd quarters, so whatever the strategy is....its simple enough to where teams can figure it out. That or you have to draw the conclusion that we are so non-nba ready that we can only play one half of nba basketball. 

10 hours ago, kg01 said:

We should be better.  Early, young, whatever .. it all comes down to effort and, many times, we simply show none.  There were several times I saw guys simply give up on a play.  All-NBA defense level or scrub level, that's not acceptable. 

I saw Vince do it.  I saw Young do it.  I saw Prince do it all night. All of them, except Bembry.  Unacceptable. Somebody's gotta take ownership.  This is where CLP's craptastic staff hires come into play.  There's no one there with the chops to help him fix this imho.

Better see if he can beg Bzdelik to consult with them.

Ding ding ding, winner ?

New rules, young winded players with fastest pace in NBA, horrid staff, best player out. Replace entire staff except Jent, spend half practice running suicides, and slide J-Bap whatever LaBrawna’s been taking for the past 5 years. Still on pace for 28 ??

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, sturt said:

that's only if one believes there's no such thing as intelligent sophomoric laughs

(Jaybird bumrushes in with her “sensible chuckle” gif)..

? 

I told y’all this is an epidemic in the league. Adam Silver ruined the NBA.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KB21 said:

source.gif

What is “That look you have when you realize how painfully wrong you were predicting 1st win wouldn’t come until game 13”, Alex.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sturt said:

Better check that math, old friend.... 25% of 82 is 20.5 ;)

Close enough, I was told there’d be no math ?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

(Jaybird bumrushes in with her “sensible chuckle” gif)..

? 

I told y’all this is an epidemic in the league. Adam Silver ruined the NBA.

Yup.  In a few years, they'll be making rules to undo pretty much everything Sliver has done other than getting the Clippers owner self-fired.

4 minutes ago, hazer said:

What is “That look you have when you realize how painfully wrong you were predicting 1st win wouldn’t come until game 13”, Alex.

OohBurn.gif

Well, maybe he .... misspoke?

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, kg01 said:

I'm predicting now that we'll see this rectified at the end of the season.

I'm with you on that one.

What will be interesting to see is if the former HC added to the bench is someone who has worked with Pierce in the past, or has worked with Schlenk in the past, or both. Or, for that matter, neither, but that would be totally unexpected.

LOL at those of you who want to hang on my over/under setting of 12 for the Hawks first win when the team has played the easiest schedule in the NBA to this point and is by far the worst team based on SRS.  The team has routinely been completely noncompetitive on the floor.  Cling to it, because you guys need to find something I'm wrong about to cling to as I am certainly not wrong about what this team is at this point.

28 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Yup.  In a few years, they'll be making rules to undo pretty much everything Sliver has done other than getting the Clippers owner self-fired.

OohBurn.gif

Well, maybe he .... misspoke?

Sadly the Clippers fiasco seemed to be the start date of “turning the league into wwf”. Like WTF! Does everything have to be for the “average fan”...I say F that! Let’s get all the basketball ? people and have them enjoy where the game is going, who cares about the average fan. I feel this way in other spectrums of issues as well..

Like for example, they don’t need to turn wine into something different just to lure me into wine. I don’t like wine and that’s ok...u don’t see the commissioner of wine wanting to put kool aid in it to lure me in.

Ok that was a weird example but Comon Silver, can’t you make the NBA a global game without actually making in globally followed by the random d*ck, Mo or Harry. Geez. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sturt said:

Yes, I know, it's early. Yes, I know, this is a young team figuring things out.

Is that pretty much the whole explanation for why we seem to be quite THIS bad on the defensive side of the floor?

The only thing that explains the performance away thus far is if he has indeed been ordered to tank. Or maybe he to is having a difficult time to adjusting to the new rules put in place to help offence