• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I like what I see

Alex

Notable critic, pessimistic, and not a big Hawks fan.

I liked what they did in the draft last season save for Young.  I liked Huerter a lot and he surprised me the little bit I saw last season.  He’s ahead of where I thought he would be.  Spellman was another good pick who applauded as well.  

I like Hunter’s size and ability to be a plus on the defensive end from day one.  I think he is a Jimmy Butler -esque type of player.  Hunter is better offensively now than second year Jimmy Butler on the Bulls.  I would say their defensive levels are similar as well.  Does he move the needle for me?  He does over what would have been there if they selected at 8, 10, and 17.  Reddish to me is more raw, but has star potential along with measurables which you can’t teach.   I think he will need some more refining and needs to benefit from more floor spacing.  I don’t know if the Hawks are loaded with shooters, but Young at least makes the defense consider guarding him and Huerter can stroke it.  Obviously surrounding this team with more floor spacers will help open things up for a guy like Cam.  

To me there were three realistic guys I wanted for the Hawks.  The one they didn’t draft was Culver.  There was no way they were getting all three.  There was no way they were getting Hunter and Cam as the picks stacked up before the trade.  I am glad they traded up and got these 2 kids versus 1 of them and then 2 others.  Good draft.

30 minutes ago, Alex said:

I liked what they did in the draft last season save for Young.  I liked Huerter a lot and he surprised me the little bit I saw last season.  He’s ahead of where I thought he would be.  Spellman was another good pick who applauded as well.  

I like Hunter’s size and ability to be a plus on the defensive end from day one.  I think he is a Jimmy Butler -esque type of player.  Hunter is better offensively now than second year Jimmy Butler on the Bulls.  I would say their defensive levels are similar as well.  Does he move the needle for me?  He does over what would have been there if they selected at 8, 10, and 17.  Reddish to me is more raw, but has star potential along with measurables which you can’t teach.   I think he will need some more refining and needs to benefit from more floor spacing.  I don’t know if the Hawks are loaded with shooters, but Young at least makes the defense consider guarding him and Huerter can stroke it.  Obviously surrounding this team with more floor spacers will help open things up for a guy like Cam.  

To me there were three realistic guys I wanted for the Hawks.  The one they didn’t draft was Culver.  There was no way they were getting all three.  There was no way they were getting Hunter and Cam as the picks stacked up before the trade.  I am glad they traded up and got these 2 kids versus 1 of them and then 2 others.  Good draft.

I question if you have watched Young play at all. You liked the 18 draft except Young? Is that a typo?

• Moderators
2 hours ago, IheartVolt said:

I question if you have watched Young play at all. You liked the 18 draft except Young? Is that a typo?

I read it as talking about his feeling as I’d the day of the draft.

On 6/22/2019 at 1:56 PM, AHF said:

I read it as talking about his feeling as I’d the day of the draft.

That's how I read it too. I was very disappointed Draft night last year. I never believed Trae's game would translate. I just listened to too many of the nay sayers. It took me till early January to realize Trae was legit and a game changer on offense. By the All-Star break I was on the Trae-train and I have only become more convinced we got the best man for ATL! He is as qualified to be ROY as Luka.

This draft I was nervous, but definitely wanted Hunter (his skills translate into our weaknesses so obviously). Not sold on Cam yet, but my history is not good on first impressions (see my Trae reaction from last year). I am excited to watch Cam play in Summer league and then see what he brings mentally to the game each night. I sincerely WANT him to be as great as I think he can be. His work ethic and mental toughness will be the key to unlocking all the physical tools he has.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2019 at 12:18 PM, Alex said:

Food for thought....Hunter held Culver to 5 of 22 shooting....

2 hours ago, enrique said:

That's how I read it too. I was very disappointed Draft night last year. I never believed Trae's game would translate. I just listened to too many of the nay sayers. It took me till early January to realize Trae was legit and a game changer on offense. By the All-Star break I was on the Trae-train and I have only become more convinced we got the best man for ATL! He is as qualified to be ROY as Luka.

This draft I was nervous, but definitely wanted Hunter (his skills translate into our weaknesses so obviously). Not sold on Cam yet, but my history is not good on first impressions (see my Trae reaction from last year). I am excited to watch Cam play in Summer league and then see what he brings mentally to the game each night. I sincerely WANT him to be as great as I think he can be. His work ethic and mental toughness will be the key to unlocking all the physical tools he has.

I couldn't have typed this better on my cellphone. I was pissed at the trade last year but came around once I started seeing Young adjust to the league and get some confidence. I never thought in my wildest dreams that I would be watching a team with no shot at the playoffs with such baited breath until Trae got cooking in January. IMHO, he's already the best point guard they've had since Mookie was here two decades ago. He's our Neo, the one.

As for whom I wanted in the draft this year, I was pining for Hunter as well. He can defend and isn't as much a stiff on the offensive end as say, a Ty Corbin or Alan Henderson was. He'll put up some numbers given the chance.

I also wasn't sold on Reddish as well, especially after looking at those shooting numbers. You really can't teach want-to so I'm hoping that this was just a result of having Zion and a human black hole (see Barrett, R.J.) riding shotgun with him than anything else. At the very least, he looks far more fluid on the court than Marvin or Dion Glover ever did...

Edited by Dejay
  • Like 1

🙄...Yeah I just want to put this here cause it’s fascinating to me when fans or general fans take a shot at Trae’s shooting performance !

let me remind those who forgot! Even when Trae was shooting horrible..... 

“I mean, it’s crazy. It’s crazy. My shooting percentage is so bad right now and teams are still pressing up on me just like I was shooting 80 percent,” Young said with a hint of a smile.

“It just shows a sign of respect for the level of shooting ability and what I can do outside the arc,” Young continued. “That means teams still believe I can do what I was capable of doing, what I’ve been doing my whole life.”

Let me also acknowledge that Trae also made a statement that despite his poor shooting he was still getting pressed 80 feet away from the basket.....soooo hell yeah Trae “atleast makes the defense consider guarding him” ....consider my ass! bad shooting numbers or not teams didn’t give a damn.

and that was my biggest argument to mav fans this season. Trae was being guarded very differently compared to Luka and in my opinion opponents took more  pride  to make a statement and put effort towards shutting down the nations most exciting player coming out of college in Trae young. 

They knew who he was before he hit the nba and knew what he was about in terms of the excitement he could bring to spark a run or get his teammates pumped just based on a few 3s deep.

”consider guarding him”.....da f**k! 😒

On 6/22/2019 at 12:34 PM, Peoriabird said:

You were doing well until this statement!

Bingo!

3 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Cam isn't playing in summer league

Cam apparently was playing the entire season with some injuries and still has 6 weeks of rehab.  We've been told by those who know that this is the reason he didn't go before the Hawks had the opportunity to draft him.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
Just now, enrique said:

That is a downer! I knew he didn't work out for us due to core stuff. Didn't read he would miss Summer League! Thanks for letting me know:(

He really needs to get stronger to have an impact...hope he works hard over the next 2 summers

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JTB said:

🙄...Yeah I just want to put this here cause it’s fascinating to me when fans or general fans take a shot at Trae’s shooting performance !

let me remind those who forgot! Even when Trae was shooting horrible..... 

“I mean, it’s crazy. It’s crazy. My shooting percentage is so bad right now and teams are still pressing up on me just like I was shooting 80 percent,” Young said with a hint of a smile.

“It just shows a sign of respect for the level of shooting ability and what I can do outside the arc,” Young continued. “That means teams still believe I can do what I was capable of doing, what I’ve been doing my whole life.”

Let me also acknowledge that Trae also made a statement that despite his poor shooting he was still getting pressed 80 feet away from the basket.....soooo hell yeah Trae “atleast makes the defense consider guarding him” ....consider my ass! bad shooting numbers or not teams didn’t give a damn.

and that was my biggest argument to mav fans this season. Trae was being guarded very differently compared to Luka and in my opinion opponents took more  pride  to make a statement and put effort towards shutting down the nations most exciting player coming out of college in Trae young. 

They knew who he was before he hit the nba and knew what he was about in terms of the excitement he could bring to spark a run or get his teammates pumped just based on a few 3s deep.

”consider guarding him”.....da f**k! 😒

Bingo!

lol so your out is out teams player tougher defense on Young than Luca?