• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why are we saving up capspace for 2020?

GameTime

The only FA “splashes” I expect this year are possibly Dedmon and VC. Sign a FA all star next year. Sign a FA superstar in ‘21.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, hazer said:

The only FA “splashes” I expect this year are possibly Dedmon and VC. Sign a FA all star next year. Sign a FA superstar in ‘21.

What position will we target? I'm assuming point guard and power forward will be off the table but even our wing positions might become a log jam since there is some expectation that they will develop.  Someone out that 3 some between Hunter, Cam and Huerter will be an All star in 2 years.  I'm picking Hunter for now.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
22 minutes ago, hazer said:

Correct. And completely intentional and by design. My contention has always been back to the playoffs (7th/8th) in year 3 (‘19-‘20) and Star FAcy/contending in ECFs starting in year 5 (‘21-‘22). But I’ve also expressed belief we’ll actually spend SOME money adding near All-Star level FA in ‘20-‘21, just not the killer whale we’re looking for until ‘21-‘22.

We're mind melded.... as long as there are two max slots ready for 2021, we have whatever other excess room that there is to work with.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

What position will we target? I'm assuming point guard and power forward will be off the table but even our wing positions might become a log jam since there is some expectation that they will develop.  Someone out that 3 some between Hunter, Cam and Huerter will be an All star in 2 years.  I'm picking Hunter for now.

Great question, and a VERY nice problem to have. C makes most sense, but all depends on trajectory of Huerter/Reddish/Hunter at SG and SF. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hazer said:

Great question, and a VERY nice problem to have. C makes most sense, but all depends on trajectory of Huerter/Reddish/Hunter at SG and SF. 

Maybe ur Bruno will be our Manu big man version 😝 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, hazer said:

Personally I for-see a Cam/Hunter Combo if @NBASupes is even half way right about Cam's potential with Huerter as the 6th man off the bench

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Maybe ur Bruno will be our Manu big man version 😝 

I almost went there. But not out of the question Bruno only rises to stud backup C behind a Star FA. My hope of course is he becomes that star though. We got a steal snagging him where we did, as much as I wanted him to be the pick for months (as you heard), there’s a chance he becomes the energy and D center off the bench behind a star max FA. Nice problem to have 💪🏽

Edited by hazer
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, hazer said:

I almost went there. But not out of the question Bruno only rises to stud backup C behind a Star FA. My hope of course is he becomes that star though. We got a steal snagging him where we did, as much as I wanted him to be the pick for months (as you heard), there’s a chance he becomes the energy and D center off the bench behind a star max FA. Nice problem to have 💪🏽

Other than Jokic and Embiid, what center would you want?

14 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Personally I for-see a Cam/Hunter Combo if @NBASupes is even half way right about Cam's potential with Huerter as the 6th man off the bench

People seem to be ignoring this but this is what I believe is going to happen as well (down the stretch)....I don’t believe the plan was to intentionally place Huerter as 6th man but once schlenk and staff saw Reddish was a real possibility to get this draft I think plans changed and because Reddish has a higher ceiling than Huerter as we know....if Reddish does reaches his full potential combined with LP saying Collins is a definite 4 (PF) recently and because we moved up to #4 to take Hunter who almost every national media sees as this drafts best 3&D player ......ALL of that points to Huerter becoming our 6th man once Reddish really gets it going .

24 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Yup I said this in another thread. I think Huerter would welcome the idea to lead his own 2nd unit. His passing is too good to not use him as our 6th man and primary BU point. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, JTB said:

People seem to be ignoring this but this is what I believe is going to happen as well (down the stretch)....I don’t believe the plan was to intentionally place Huerter as 6th man but once schlenk and staff saw Reddish was a real possibility to get this draft I think plans changed and because Reddish has a higher ceiling than Huerter as we know....if Reddish does reaches his full potential combined with LP saying Collins is a definite 4 (PF) recently and because we moved up to #4 to take Hunter who almost every national media sees as this drafts best 3&D player ......ALL of that points to Huerter becoming our 6th man once Reddish really gets it going .

Agreed because when I watch Reddish play, He plays like a guard...Not a small forward.  And he has a guard build too.  Now will have to work on his skill level like his passing and shooting but I think that would be a hell of a combination...Especially defensively!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Agreed because when I watch Reddish play, He plays like a guard...Not a small forward.  And he has a guard build too.  Now will have to work on his skill level like his passing and shooting but I think that would be a hell of a combination...Especially defensively!

Isn’t 6’8” 210 a modern day SF build? I mean he’s definitely a combo and would probably benefit more starting his career as a 2 and then moving to a 3 in a few years.

Thats the beauty of Schlenk. He build us a freakin Swiss Army knife in these picks.

Cam 2/3 3/2

Hunter 4/3 3/4

• Like 1

To answer the original question about all the cap space for 2020, here’s what I think.....

i believe that  schlenk and this whole hawks organization is incredibly high on Trae, Collins, Reddish, Hunter and Huerter (as 6th man).....in other words I believe they are more than confident in the pieces they drafted and that the massive cap space will be used to DEEPEN the roster with extremely good solid vets for the bench and the only max contract that will be handed out will get to a star center in 2020 or 2021 that fits the team.

So to me Hawks massive cap space next summer equals big time bench upgrade of very good vets and a star center that fits the team if one is available.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Isn’t 6’8” 210 a modern day SF build? I mean he’s definitely a combo and would probably benefit more starting his career as a 2 and then moving to a 3 in a few years.

Thats the beauty of Schlenk. He build us a freakin Swiss Army knife in these picks.

Cam 2/3 3/2

Hunter 4/3 3/4

Nah.  Lebron and Kawhi are like 230 plus right? Even Durant is listed at 240

7 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Nah.  Lebron and Kawhi are like 230 plus right?

Yeah they are but in all honesty to me it’s more beneficial that the hawks can toss out two wing players at SG and SF that are 6’8 with 7 foot plus wingspans around Trae Young....that alone is the advantage we have in Reddish and Hunter all while Collins is steering his way to become a top 5 PF in this game.

ALL of that is dribble,pass, shoot, length, wingspan, good size , switch ability, hide ability (for Trae’s defense).....all because we can have two long prototypical players at the 2 & 3.

so it really don’t matter where hunter and Reddish are in terms of 2 or 3 cause it’s more important that their on the court at the same time on the perimeter surrounding Trae at point and Collins at PF.

Edited by JTB

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, JTB said:

Yeah they are but in all honesty to me it’s more beneficial that the hawks can toss out two wing players at SG and SF that are 6’8 with 7 foot plus wingspans around Trae Young....that alone is the advantage we have in Reddish and Hunter all while Collins is steering his way to become a top 5 PF in this game.

ALL of that is dribble,pass, shoot, length, wingspan, good size , switch ability, hide ability (for Trae’s defense).....all because we can have two long prototypical players at the 2 & 3.

Still think that Reddish would struggle with the bigger 3's in the league whereas Hunter would hold his own!I Still have those nightmare of Lebron posting up DMC who was just as long but absolutely got destroyed because he was too small!

35 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Other than Jokic and Embiid, what center would you want?

Excellent choices, but not 2021 FAs. So if we’re just going wishlist, to those 2 I’d add Ayton, JJJ, WCJ, and Turner.

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, hazer said:

Excellent choices, but not 2021 FAs. So if we’re just going wishlist, to those 2 I’d add Ayton, JJJ, WCJ, and Turner.

Ayton and JJ are out...How much would you pay Turner?  Who is wcj?  Turner's Numbers are kind of Meh except his block rate.

9 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Still think that Reddish would struggle with the bigger 3's in the league whereas Hunter would hold his own!I Still have those nightmare of Lebron posting up DMC who was just as long but absolutely got destroyed because he was too small!

No doubt ! If we can match size with a good defender than we should do that no question at whatever position.

But i guess I’m just looking at the overall picture and what most teams in the nba tend to want is what we now have.

Most teams want prototypical size players at every position but they want them to have certain skills at the same time (dribble, shoot, pass) and mobility/lateral quickness/switch ability for defensive reasons ....the way I see it is that it’s a huge luxury that we now have legit size players at all positions and then 1-4 we have guys with very high ceilings in Trae, Reddish, Hunter, Collins

Its mind blowing cause if they all pan out we are going to be a problem in the nba! I mean with that group of players plus a typical size 5 that can do the same things in terms of skill and mobility  ...this team will not be beaten easily.

ive never felt like that about any hawks team...this is the first group of young drafted players  I’ve ever actually felt that you won’t be able to point out any real weaknesses if this group reachs full potential. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, JTB said:

No doubt ! If we can match size with a good defender than we should do that no question at whatever position.

But i guess I’m just looking at the overall picture and what most teams in the nba tend to want is what we now have.

Most teams want prototypical size players at every position but they want them to have certain skills at the same time (dribble, shoot, pass) and mobility/lateral quickness/switch ability for defensive reasons ....the way I see it is that it’s a huge luxury that we now have legit size players at all positions and then 1-4 we have guys with very high ceilings in Trae, Reddish, Hunter, Collins

Its mind blowing cause if they all pan out we are going to be a problem in the nba! I mean with that group of players plus a typical size 5 that can do the same things in terms of skill and mobility  ...this team will not be beaten easily.

ive never felt like that about any hawks team...this is the first group of young drafted players  I’ve ever actually felt that you won’t be able to point out any real weaknesses if this group reachs full potential. 

Imagine Myles Turner at C with that group 😳