• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why are we saving up capspace for 2020?

GameTime

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, GameTime said:

I just don't see why we can't use up some cap for 2020. 2021 is where we need to strike IMO. Way more options.

We can do the same next year as we did this year...Pick up some draft capital by taking on expiring deals or facilitate trades.

• Like 2

Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

Who would you like to spend it on and how much?

We don't have much cap now, but instead of taking bad expiring deals, bad 2 year deals would have given us better draft picks.

Or are you asking who I want in 2021? Giannis is a legitimate option depending on the growth of our lotto picks. Tons of other all stars available in 2021 https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/2021/

• Premium Member
Just now, GameTime said:

We don't have much cap now, but instead of taking bad expiring deals, bad 2 year deals would have given us better draft picks.

Or are you asking who I want in 2021? Giannis is a legitimate option depending on the growth of our lotto picks. Tons of other all stars available in 2021 https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/2021/

Which bad 2 year deals and which picks were offered?

I meant who you want to sign now that will be on our cap next season.

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Which bad 2 year deals and which picks were offered?

I meant who you want to sign now that will be on our cap next season.

Not sure what was offered, I was just looking at Schlenk specifically targeting bad 1 year deals lately. I could be wrong and no 2 year deals were offered. I'm just speculating. 

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, GameTime said:

Who would fit a need in 2021 for this roster who isn't restricted?

2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Who would fit a need in 2021 for this roster who isn't restricted?

Unrestricted: Greek Freak, Bron James, Davis, George, Griffin, Beal, Oladipo, Gobert, McCollum, Drummond, Adams, Porter Jr.

And that is just unrestricted.

Who would fit in 2020? Or are you suggesting waiting until 2022 to be players in Free Agency?

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, GameTime said:

Unrestricted: Greek Freak, Bron James, Davis, George, Griffin, Beal, Oladipo, Gobert, McCollum, Drummond, Adams, Porter Jr.

And that is just unrestricted.

Who would fit in 2020? Or are you suggesting waiting until 2022 to be players in Free Agency?

I was talking realistically

Lebron would be like 36 years old

We have Griffin in John Collins

We can eliminate Greek freek, Paul George, Beal, and Anthony Davis

Why Mccollum? or Steven Adams( OKC would give him to you tomorrow if they could)

Drummond? Porter?  God no

Gobert doesn't fit our scheme

14 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I was talking realistically

Lebron would be like 36 years old

We have Griffin in John Collins

We can eliminate Greek freek, Paul George, Beal, and Anthony Davis

Why Mccollum? or Steven Adams( Portland would give him to you tomorrow if they could)

Drummond? Porter?  God no

Gobert doesn't fit our scheme

I'm continually impressed at how many elite players you can dismiss for the hawks. How you can manage to spin that the best players in the NBA either aren't good enough to be hawks or aren't good fits is truly amazing. 

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

I'm continually impressed at how many elite players you can dismiss for the hawks. How you can manage to spin that the best players in the NBA either aren't good enough to be hawks or aren't good fits is truly amazing. 

Like who? Drummond? Steven Adams? Who?

• Premium Member
57 minutes ago, GameTime said:

Why are we saving up capspace for 2020?

Answer: At least some of us don't think we are.

We're, instead, saving for off-season 2021.

Of course, every season brings the possibility of some relatively disregarded player elevating his game in a big way... and/or some team with a high-production RFA getting themselves in salary cap hell... so if that happens, we're going to be in a great position to capitalize next off-season.

But conventionally speaking, we're two years from our big free agency splash.... which should time out really nicely.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Like who? Drummond? Steven Adams? 

Lebron, Giannis, George, Beal, Klay are all ones you have dismissed either now or on the past. Maybe even KD. Not sure about him though. I just find it impressive that you think so highly of the current hawks that you cant find room on the roster for these elite players.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, REHawksFan said:

Lebron, Giannis, George, Beal, Klay are all ones you have dismissed either now or on the past. Maybe even KD. Not sure about him though. I just find it impressive that you think so highly of the current hawks that you cant find room on the roster for these elite players.

I said you can forget about signing those guys...AD will sign a long term contract with the Lakers next year, Giannis will sign the super max with Milwaukee George will resign with OKC, Beal has already discussed signing a max deal with Washington and Lebron ain't leaving LA at 36.  Just a slight misunderstanding on your part.  Sorry for not being clear

6 minutes ago, sturt said:

But conventionally speaking, we're two years from our big free agency splash.... which should time out really nicely.

Correct. And completely intentional and by design. My contention has always been back to the playoffs (7th/8th) in year 3 (‘19-‘20) and Star FAcy/contending in ECFs starting in year 5 (‘21-‘22). But I’ve also expressed belief we’ll actually spend SOME money adding near All-Star level FA in ‘20-‘21, just not the killer whale we’re looking for until ‘21-‘22.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, hazer said:

Correct. And completely intentional and by design. My contention has always been back to the playoffs (7th/8th) in year 3 (‘19-‘20) and Star FAcy/contending in ECFs starting in year 5 (‘21-‘22). But I’ve also expressed belief we’ll actually spend SOME money adding near All-Star level FA in ‘20-‘21, just not the killer whale we’re looking for until ‘21-‘22.

And plus who knows who will be the stars in 2021?  Everyone always assume the stars are the same and they never age..  Schlenk is smart enough to recognize player before they break out so I trust his eye to get them early.  That's probably the smart way to play it.  Let the Knicks and Maverick continue to roll the dice on old busted up has beens.  I willing to sit back and watch Schlenk work his magic once again!

• Like 3