• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

So if Schlenk can't find a 2 for 1 trade, would y'all be in favor of...

REHawksFan

5 minutes ago, High5 said:

Wouldn't it be a little over $8 million instead of 4? 

Correct.  So you stretch one and get $8M available this year.  So the available space goes from $13 to $21M.  And I don't know specifically who they would target.  My assumption is that $21M would be enough to get 2 players instead of 1.  That was my whole point with this.  Maybe they can sign Dedmon AND a another wing.  As to who....there's been various reports and suggestions.  Seth Curry, Austin Rivers, etc...  Whether the Hawks would value those players I don't know.  

Maybe $21M is enough to get Malcolm Brogdon.  

Edited by REHawksFan

Maybe I do not understand the term "stretch" contract, but from my understanding (of what I think it means), it makes no sense since they're coming off our hands after this season and we're not trying to be title contenders right now; however, next season is when it's time to start plugging in numbers since we'll have so much cap space. I don't know 

Can someone explain to me what it means or if I have the correct understanding? 

14 minutes ago, AHawks89 said:

Maybe I do not understand the term "stretch" contract, but from my understanding (of what I think it means), it makes no sense since they're coming off our hands after this season and we're not trying to be title contenders right now; however, next season is when it's time to start plugging in numbers since we'll have so much cap space. I don't know 

It turns Plumlee's $12 million this season into $4 million in each of the next 3 seasons. It only makes sense if the $8 million you save this season is important. Which I tend to think it won't be for Schlenk. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AHawks89 said:

Essentially if they waive a player the can choose to either take the cap hit all in this year OR they can stretch it out. You are allowed to stretch the remaining value of the contract 2x the years remaining plus 1. So for Plumlee, he has 1 year remaining. They can cut him and either take the $12.5M cap hit this year OR choose to stretch it over 3 years. So it would be $4.1M over 3 years.

You only do it if you think theres someone worth having now that wouldn't be available later AND if you dont think tying up $4M each of the next 2 years is a problem.

My thought is we will have $60+ M in space next season with not many players worth that in next years free agency so IF Schlenk identifies a use for the money this year, it may be worth it to go this route when better players are available potentially on favorable deals.