• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

So if Schlenk can't find a 2 for 1 trade, would y'all be in favor of...

REHawksFan

...Waiving and stretching a guy like Plumlee and/or Hill or nah?  The purpose would be to open a roster spot for someone that might actually contribute since neither of these guys will.  If they stretch one it would be about a $4.1M Cap Hit for 3 seasons and would open up an additional $8M this year.  With as much cap space as the team has going forward, I'm not sure that small amount of dead money really has much of a negative impact next year or the following.  

My thought is with some much quality in FA this year, opening up a little more cap and 1 or 2 more roster spots might allow them to sign a young guy on a good deal for 3 years as opposed to keeping two guys that won't contribute and then having space next year when there isn't anyone worth signing.  

What do y'all think?  

Edited by REHawksFan

7 minutes ago, AHF said:

Cut one of them if Schlenk wants but don't stretch them.  

So what's the downside to stretching? The team has nearly $70M in cap space next year with minimal options to spend it on.  Doesn't seem like $4M of dead money is that big of a deal, relatively speaking.  If it allows you to get a young guy you want on a good deal, what's the harm?

• Moderators
Just now, REHawksFan said:

So what's the downside to stretching? The team has nearly $70M in cap space next year with minimal options to spend it on.  Doesn't seem like $4M of dead money is that big of a deal, relatively speaking.  If it allows you to get a young guy you want on a good deal, what's the harm?

You can always make use of the space.  We can also always sign a young guy today.  We have the money and if we hit the cap we have exceptions where we can easily stay below the luxury tax level.

• Premium Member

1. As I think someone must've said by now, not trying to win anything this year... so stretching only pushes salary into years when we will be trying to win, and need all the cap space we can muster.

2. Yes, create new roster slots by cutting players with no long-term prospects, but only at that point that you identify opportunities to sign guys who can affect the long-term.

And "affect the long-term" can mean (a) signing a Justin Patton type developmental player, or (b) signing an Uncle Vince who you anticipate is going to provide some important additional coaching to the key long-term players on-hand.

• Like 1

This team has so much upside and high ceilings in 4 main players between Trae, Reddish, Hunter, Collins and not to mention that Trae and Collins has already shown that it’s highly possible they reach all star level moving forward! Therefore I believe it’s best to wait and see exactly how things play out before we get into too serious of talks on how that massive cap space should be used next summer ....

lets Say hypothetically that these young guys work out incredibly well and show much promise similar to what young, Huerter, and Collins did this past season....if that happens the goal SHOULD be redirected into making the hawks a deep roster again!

Id rather see Schlenk put that money into the bench and make this roster deepest it can get similar to the 2015/2016 warriors where they just had tons of depth and not just a good starting lineup.

So looking at 2020 there are some valuable bench role pieces we can add like Vanvleet (unrestricted), Montrezl Harrell (unrestricted), Jae Crowder (unrestricted)....that’s just a few names that could come in an instantly deepen our team! Then you MUST keep in mind that Huerter or Reddish (likely Huerter) will be a sixth man or bench player. So adding depth and already having a really good solid piece or two there (depending on how Spellman works out)...we are already ahead of the game. 

PLAN:

1. See how this young group performs next year

2. If the young core guys perform extremely well (like Trae/Huerter/Collins did) there’s no need to target max level free agents (Trae and Collins are borderline all stars as it is, get one of hunter or Reddish to show out next season and we know where we stand)

3. Add massive depth to the team and strengthen the bench big time with the massive cap space of quality players playing behind our good young core group.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, REHawksFan said:

...Waiving and stretching a guy like Plumlee and/or Hill or nah?  The purpose would be to open a roster spot for someone that might actually contribute since neither of these guys will.  If they stretch one it would be about a $4.1M Cap Hit for 3 seasons and would open up an additional $8M this year.  With as much cap space as the team has going forward, I'm not sure that small amount of dead money really has much of a negative impact next year or the following.  

My thought is with some much quality in FA this year, opening up a little more cap and 1 or 2 more roster spots might allow them to sign a young guy on a good deal for 3 years as opposed to keeping two guys that won't contribute and then having space next year when there isn't anyone worth signing.  

What do y'all think?  

Naw.  These are deadline trades.

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, JTB said:

This team has so much upside and high ceilings in 4 main players between Trae, Reddish, Hunter, Collins and not to mention that Trae and Collins has already shown that it’s highly possible they reach all star level moving forward! Therefore I believe it’s best to wait and see exactly how things play out before we get into too serious of talks on how that massive cap space should be used next summer ....

Think you are doing Huerter a disservice.  I'd have him right in there with Reddish and Hunter.  All three have serious future potential and a range of outcomes that includes making an All-Star team.

• Like 1

I don't think it's a bad idea if it enables a good move. I just don't know what that move would be. I'm still not sure what Schlenk is looking for. PG? C? Both? Neither? Dedmon? Someone cheap to hold over until Bruno? Are we going to have Turner and Bembry playing point? Maybe Cam? I don't know. 

5 minutes ago, AHF said:

Think you are doing Huerter a disservice.  I'd have him right in there with Reddish and Hunter.  All three have serious future potential and a range of outcomes that includes making an All-Star team.

I don’t see Huerter being anymore then a extremely good role player. However if he happens to be more than that great!...of course 

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, JTB said:

I don’t see Huerter being anymore then a extremely good role player. However if he happens to be more than that great!...of course 

That is very possible.  In the range of outcomes for all 3 of them.

Personally, i think FA market is a false move by Schlenk. The real moves for the Hawks are in the trade markets next year.  We have assets that clubs will need to get under the LT or if you get another situation like with Garnet, Davis, Ray Allen. etc.  All cap space can be used in making a trade  for a guy who no longer wants or fits a team. So, no to stretching, does no good in either the short of long-term. 

Build-up assets and use them in the trade market.  Use FA to get smaller, but important pieces. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
26 minutes ago, AHF said:

I agree. No need to push Huerter to the background.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

Just to add we have several avenues to open a roster spot.

1. Jaylen Adams back to GL on a 2 way contract, he can be called up if needed.

2. Justin Anderson - still awaiting on if his QO offer will be picked up, deadline tomorrow. If it isn't he becomes a FA.

3. Cut/Waive/Buyout - Hill and/or Plumlee

3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Just to add we have several avenues to open a roster spot.

1. Jaylen Adams back to GL on a 2 way contract, he can be called up if needed.

2. Justin Anderson - still awaiting on if his QO offer will be picked up, deadline tomorrow. If it isn't he becomes a FA.

3. Cut/Waive/Buyout - Hill and/or Plumlee

I just don't want to see Travis forego a better option this year because we have dead weight taking up a roster spot and cap space.  I know they can cut/waive/buyout these guys and that's what I'm suggesting as well.  I just thought it may make some sense to stretch so as to maximize the cap space this year when there are more players available.  But I confess, I don't know all the ins and outs of the salary cap so if there's no need to gain additional cap space this year, then so be it.  

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

I just don't want to see Travis forego a better option this year because we have dead weight taking up a roster spot and cap space.  I know they can cut/waive/buyout these guys and that's what I'm suggesting as well.  I just thought it may make some sense to stretch so as to maximize the cap space this year when there are more players available.  But I confess, I don't know all the ins and outs of the salary cap so if there's no need to gain additional cap space this year, then so be it.  

We currently have $13 million in capspace. Stretching Plumlee or Hill gives us an additional $4 million. Who would you target at $17 mil that makes sense and isn't some crazy overpay?

47 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

We currently have $13 million in capspace. Stretching Plumlee or Hill gives us an additional $4 million. Who would you target at $17 mil that makes sense and isn't some crazy overpay?

Wouldn't it be a little over $8 million instead of 4? 

• Like 1