• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2019 Hawksquawk Dynasty Draft - Picks and Discussion

AHF

10 hours ago, lethalweapon3 said:

The Rhythm is Gonna Get You, The Rhythm is Gonna GetHUH-OH-WUT?

I knew you were having a Miami type of month. First with the Butler pick and now this. 😆 Gloria at her finest. Subconsciously sank in as I spouted off a few lyrics earlier this evening. It’s catchy! 😂 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bleachkit said:

So with this pick I really want a dominant two way wing. There really isn't a veteran two way wing left that caches my fancy, so I'm going young. 

220px-R._J._BARRETT.jpg

Might be a slight reach but I was worried Buzzard was going to take him with two picks coming up as he is going young in the draft.

MAPLE MAMBA

I had my heart set on Bagley III. 48 Minutes in a NBA game, 96 minutes total at PF and C; that is 32 minutes a game for three players. If my coach sees fit, he can keep two of Ayton, Bagley, JJJ on the floor at all times. I don't see bust in any one of them; but having all three is a little bust insurance also.

This may be a reach, but i don't care because i want this guy on my team.
With the 46th pick of the draft, the AAF selects 
Montrezl Harrell

trez.jpg
With Montrezl we add defensive toughness, a scrappy rebounder, and a relentless finisher.
He's also been working to expand his game by improving his jumpshot, and extended it out to 3 point range.With all the scoring/shooting we have, teams are going to focus on  perimeter defense against us, and that will allow Harrell to get plenty of looks insides for dunks/lobs.
When this guy catches the ball in the paint, it's over. You have to either get out of the way or get posterized.

@AHF 

• Like 4

• Moderators

Some great picks coming out lately in the draft.  As we look around at what is left on the board, we see several really good options but ultimately we kept coming back to one player who we didn't come in looking to target but who seems to just fit so well that we can't pass him up.  

So let's level set.  Our last starting spot is a 4.  With Gobert dominating around the basket, we need someone who is capable of spreading the floor and moving the ball. 

• Spreading the floor. Well, this player shot 7.0 3's last year per game at a clip of over 36%.  ✔️
  • Moving the ball.  He was #3 among forwards and big men in assists last year with over 400 (putting him well above players like Paul George who had roughly 280) and averaged over 5.4 per game.  ✔️

This is a bit steep price for draft pick if all he can do is to pass the ball and spot up for 3's so what about his overall productivity?

24.5 points per game? ✔️

7.5 rebounds per game? ✔️

All-Star? ✔️

All-NBA?  ✔️

Checks out.  But does his game hold up in the playoffs?  He seems to have answered that with a resounding "yes."  In the playoffs, he averaged an identical 24.5 points per game but bolstered that with a 46% 3pt% this time to go with his 6.0 assists per game.  ✔️

d19d0707ad43944b3adcb35e90d947d9--ashley

OK.  So Ashley is sold.  And frankly I am too. 

We are confident that this is some who can mesh with this roster by giving us superior passers and highly versatile scoring options at 4 positions to go with the league DPOY and TS% leader.  He can play with the ball in his hands but can play effective off the ball.  He can spot up on the perimeter but also is effective around the basket can take the ball to the hole (as his former dunk title would lead you to assume).  While he just finished his age 29 season, we think that his evolving game speaks well of his ability to continue at a high level for the next half decade at the least.  Seems like a fit we can't pass up.

With the 47th pick of the 2019 Dynasty Draft the U-Niques select the last All-NBA player on the board:

Blake Griffin

And while it was critical for us that he now does this at an extremely high level:

f0ae1a61-f9f7-4365-9226-be2d07f612cb-042

None of us will mind that he still breaks this out from time to time:

Welcome to the squad, Mr. Griffin.

U-Niques

PG De'Aaron Fox (2018-19 4th in assists, 6th in steals, 37% 3pt%, 17/7/4)

SG James Harden (2018-19 All-NBA)

SF LeBron James (2018-19 All-NBA)

PF Blake Griffin (2018-19 All-NBA)

C Rudy Gobert (2018-19 All-NBA)

@LucastheThird is on the clock

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, AHF said:

Some great picks coming out lately in the draft.  As we look around at what is left on the board, we see several really good options but ultimately we kept coming back to one player who we didn't come in looking to target but who seems to just fit so well that we can't pass him up.  

So let's level set.  Our last starting spot is a 4.  With Gobert dominating around the basket, we need someone who is capable of spreading the floor and moving the ball. 

• Spreading the floor. Well, this player shot 7.0 3's last year per game at a clip of over 36%.  ✔️
  • Moving the ball.  He was #3 among forwards and big men in assists last year with over 400 (putting him well above players like Paul George who had roughly 280) and averaged over 5.4 per game.  ✔️

This is a bit steep price for draft pick if all he can do is to pass the ball and spot up for 3's so what about his overall productivity?

24.5 points per game? ✔️

7.5 rebounds per game? ✔️

All-Star? ✔️

All-NBA?  ✔️

Checks out.  But does his game hold up in the playoffs?  He seems to have answered that with a resounding "yes."  In the playoffs, he averaged an identical 24.5 points per game but bolstered that with a 46% 3pt% this time to go with his 6.0 assists per game.  ✔️

d19d0707ad43944b3adcb35e90d947d9--ashley

OK.  So Ashley is sold.  And frankly I am too. 

We are confident that this is some who can mesh with this roster by giving us superior passers and highly versatile scoring options at 4 positions to go with the league DPOY and TS% leader.  He can play with the ball in his hands but can play effective off the ball.  He can spot up on the perimeter but also is effective around the basket can take the ball to the hole (as his former dunk title would lead you to assume).  While he just finished his age 29 season, we think that his evolving game speaks well of his ability to continue at a high level for the next half decade at the least.  Seems like a fit we can't pass up.

With the 47th pick of the 2019 Dynasty Draft the U-Niques select the last All-NBA player on the board:

Blake Griffin

And while it was critical for us that he now does this at an extremely high level:

f0ae1a61-f9f7-4365-9226-be2d07f612cb-042

None of us will mind that he still breaks this out from time to time:

Welcome to the squad, Mr. Griffin.

U-Niques

PG De'Aaron Fox

SG James Harden

SF LeBron James

PF Blake Griffin

C Rudy Gobert

@LucastheThird is on the clock

Well look at you, with ur starting lineup intact! AREN’T YOU SOMETHING! 😉 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Well look at you, with ur starting lineup intact! AREN’T YOU SOMETHING! 😉 

Unfortunately his team is gonna require 3 balls on the court at the same time. Looks good on paper but have chemistry questions big time. Harden and LeBron will be ready to murder each other

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, IheartVolt said:

Unfortunately his team is gonna require 3 balls on the court at the same time. Looks good on paper but have chemistry questions big time. Harden and LeBron will be ready to murder each other

With this roster it would take people to buy in but I think it presents an impossible matchup for defenses.  Every guy can exploit spacing on the floor and you have 4 superior passers.  If the defense remains fundamentally sound, you have elite ability to breakdown defenses for high % efficient shots.

I would not have taken a single player to add to the team after Gobert who wasn't a superior passer or who couldn't space the floor with a jumper.  We think these guys want to win and will buy in to bring home a ring this year.  

And if your defense has a single weak link, prepare to be mercilessly exploited because nearly all these guys can bully a weak defender and make the pass if you try to send help.

Harden is the only one who I have any concern about being a ball hog but he worked better than I ever expected with PLAYER (before PLAYER's game deteriorated), and he should be the thirstiest of all for a ring.  We are looking for more of a Dream Team dynamic where these superior talents blend their skills.  And they all have the skills to fit into any number of offensive systems effectively.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, AHF said:

With this roster it would take people to buy in but I think it presents an impossible matchup for defenses.  Every guy can exploit spacing on the floor and you have 4 superior passers.  If the defense remains fundamentally sound, you have elite ability to breakdown defenses for high % efficient shots.

I would not have taken a single player to add to the team after Gobert who wasn't a superior passer or who couldn't space the floor with a jumper.  We think these guys want to win and will buy in to bring home a ring this year.  

And if your defense has a single weak link, prepare to be mercilessly exploited because nearly all these guys can bully a weak defender and make the pass if you try to send help.

Harden is the only one who I have any concern about being a ball hog but he worked better than I ever expected with PLAYER (before PLAYER's game deteriorated), and he should be the thirstiest of all for a ring.  We are looking for more of a Dream Team dynamic where these superior talents blend their skills.  And they all have the skills to fit into any number of offensive systems effectively.

Blake is a hell of a player and I am sure he would love a Championship. You have the fire power for sure.

On 7/19/2019 at 8:36 AM, Spud2nique said:

The most dominant player in high school basketball since the great Michael Jordan. The best “in game” collegiate dunker since [HALF-MAN HALF-UNDRAFTED ~lw3]. An ambidextrous 6’7” locomotive on the court who possesses an innate ability to absolutely dominate in a game with speed, power and athleticism. 

[RANDOM NBA player ~lw3] described him as a "once-in-a-generation type athlete" while an anonymous college basketball coach labeled him a "freak of nature."

Simply put, the most polarizing prospect for scouts to salivate over in a long time.

At 6’7”, he is versatile enough to play both forward positions but also has enough power to play a small ball 5. He’s been compared to Charles Barkley and Larry “grandmama” Johnson due to his body composition. Currently listed generously at 285 pounds (closer to 310) he will need to shed some baby fat for the NBA.

GM Spud was elated at the chance to draft such a talent and simply said:

“The kid was born to play this game at a very high level and we are excited to be in a  unique position to draft this special young man.”

Spud went on to say..

Magic

Bird

Jordan

Kobe

[FASCINATING AS-YET UNDRAFTED DUDE ~lw3]

Zion... ( 🤝 to us for landing this immense talent).

With the 13th pick in the 2019 Squawk Dynasty Draft, the Spudsters select:

Zion Williamson

@Nicholasp27 (Bird) is on the clock ⏰! Or I guess the owner of that 10th team? 

My boy signed with Jordan!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, AHF said:

You may be right. I have a real hard time seeing why so many have a problem playing with him. He seems a reasonable guy but that can be deceiving when it comes to him getting his nimbers.. Nimbers come first afterall

• Haha 1

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, LucastheThird said:

Don't have much time to do a proper write up, but I'm taking Mike Conley.

Looks like @JayBirdHawk is up next?

It's a good bet that Jay didn't want Conley but he is a nice add for your team.  I think he was healthy late last year and just benched for the tank so I suspect he'll be ready to go this season.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, IheartVolt said:

Fingers crossed that my guy is still available for my pick... Please please please

Let me take a look 👀 at ur roster and see if I can’t wreck it. 😂 jk...but now I’m interested in who you are wanting...I’m curious.. 🐒 

• Moderators
35 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Let me take a look 👀 at ur roster and see if I can’t wreck it. 😂 jk...but now I’m interested in who you are wanting...I’m curious.. 🐒 

Doesn't look good, @IheartVolt

This is Spud's avatar when he isn't repping Luka:

keep-calm-because-i-m-a-2349.jpg

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, AHF said:

Doesn't look good, @IheartVolt

This is Spud's avatar when he isn't repping Luka:

keep-calm-because-i-m-a-2349.jpg

You know I almost pulled the trigger on PorzinGIF on my last pick. It was between him and Ja for me deciding on big vs little. Another reason I didn’t was the ridicule I would receive and being called names like Cuban and worse things I can’t say on here because people know history and I don’t need to rehash. 

I would have basically had

Luke/Zion/Tatum/Kristapales (dude is 23 I think so it woulda fit my timeline too. You basically made me take the long route to school 🏫 ... have fun with ur conscience! 😆 @AHF

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I can attest to that. He took Luka from me. Hey @Spud2nique how about Luka and 90, 91 for Lavine and 60, 61?

That’s actually a fair deal without a doubt. I’m gonna hang on to him though and see what we do with a couple more picks. It would be adding crazy 😜 depth though with the pick exchange. You tickled my buying bone badly and I’m ticklish. 😬 

• Haha 1