2019 Hawksquawk Dynasty Draft - Picks and Discussion

AHF

I am going to go ahead grab this guy, and call it a night. Marvin Bagley III had his share of ups and downs last season but he put up respectable numbers for a rookie. 14.9, 7.6, and a block a game in 25.3 minutes. Nagging injuries cost him any chance of gathering real steam but he still made 1st team All-Rookie.

Similar to Trae, his best months came after the All-Star break where he never averaged less than 17.2 PTS, 8.2 TRB, and right around a block a game for any month, February through April. I think he can play either PF or Center and like the comparisons to Chris Bosh a lot. Enough small talk already, please welcome to the Flock Mr. Marvin Bagley III.

Man I loved the 2018 draft!

ng3ogrwgcr3d3swnv73f.jpg

@bleachkit is up. Sent PM.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

What the heck is up with Jay's CrapBirds:

Kyrie Irving, Russell Westbrook, Victor Oladipo and KAT :doh:. How'd I end up with both Victor and Russell??

Paging  @AHF 

Should have been either or :rtfm:

I thought your goal was to put together the best three guard lineup in NBA history.

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

He wont get the pub or credit he deserves, for one he's a Euro and two, he's in a small market. But his stat line of 20.8 pts/12 boards/3.8 assists on 51.8% shooting is elite. He also anchored a top 10 defense last season, and still only 28.

kce7fEd1-7hUFQXvwBDY0lsyY4w5OQhxb_A2A97K

Vucevic.

He is a super solid. I think he would have made a great Hawk playing beside John Collins. Orlando kept him and payed him,

Edited by Buzzard

• Admin

To round out Capstone’s Crews starting lineup ... we are proud to select 

Khris Middleton 6’8 SF/SG

2B850CAC-C466-49A2-A035-D84FCA015884.png

Two way player KM brings versatility in spades.  This first time all star brings more 3 point shooting and playmaking to our roster.  The crew will spread the floor and more ball movement means trouble for other teams defenses ... another thing is we have an another awesome defender who can guard multiple positions a must to be successful in today’s NBA ... with all these stoppers we can hide Booker and still pretty much shut down anyone who steps on the floor against us.  I already fear for the other teams

@lethalweapon3 you are up

• Like 3

• Admin
8 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

He is a super solid. I think he would have made a great Hawk playing beside John Collins. Orlando kept him and payed him,

I’m not taking anything away from him as he is awesome but I don’t think he would have been a good pickup for the Hawks.  We need solid defenders to surround and makeup for Trae and Collins ... he definitely wouldn’t do that

Just now, capstone21 said:

To round out Capstone’s Crews starting lineup ... we are proud to select 

Khris Middleton 6’8 SF/SG

2B850CAC-C466-49A2-A035-D84FCA015884.png

Two way player KM brings versatility in spades.  This first time all star brings more 3 point shooting and playmaking to our roster.  The crew will spread the floor and more ball movement means trouble for other teams defenses ... another thing is we have an another awesome defender who can guard multiple positions a must to be successful in today’s NBA ... with all these stoppers we can hide Booker and still pretty much shut down anyone who steps on the floor against us.  I already fear for the other teams

@lethalweapon3 you are up

Great pick. He was on my list last time around. I could not bring myself to pass on Bagley III or Lavine.

• Admin
Just now, Buzzard said:

Great pick. He was on my list last time around. I could not bring myself to pass on Bagley III or Lavine.

Happy to hear that u didn’t take him because it was between him and Turner with my last pick.

4 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

I’m not taking anything away from him as he is awesome but I don’t think he would have been a good pickup for the Hawks.  We need solid defenders to surround and makeup for Trae and Collins ... he definitely wouldn’t do that

He is as good as who we had last season; and better on the boards and scoring. I get wanting it all; but sometimes all is not available. In fact, sometimes all is never available.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 1

• Admin
2 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

He is as good as who we had last season; and better on the boards and scoring. I get wanting it all; but sometimes all is not available. In fact sometimes all is never available.

The problem is we have offense in spades ... he is absolutely better then Dedmon but we don’t answer any needs and actually make that need worse as we will have bad D at pg, pf and center.  That would not help us be successful going forward.  We don’t need his numbers but we absolutely need someone who can protect the rim

2 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

The problem is we have offense in spades ... he is absolutely better then our big players but we don’t answer any needs and actually make that need worse as we have have bad d at pg, of and center.  That would,not help,us be successful going forward.  We don’t need his numbers but we absolutely need someone who can protect the rim

lol edit out the player mention and we have to agree to disagree on this one,

Edited by Buzzard

47 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

lol edit out the player mention and we have to agree to disagree on this one,

Actually I think him and Len are the same player. Len can do all he does on offense and defense with a much smaller pay check. The only problem is we will not lean so heavily on Len most likely

• Moderators
4 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Yes it's him, the insert URL image thing isn't working. Am I doing something wrong?

I fixed it for ya!

The links usually have to have like a ".jpg" or ".png" something like that at the end in order to work. The website I copied was a link to a .jpg file, So the website URL "https://images.googl.something/" failed to produce the image, But the image that opened when I coped-and-pasted the URL via Wikipedia, "blah-blah-R._J._BARRETT.jpg" worked just fine.

~lw3

• Moderators

With the 44th Pick in the Fifth Round of the 2019 Hawksquawk Summer Dynasty Draft, Lethal Nas X selects:

drew_carey.jpg

(No, not you. Drew. Carey on! We’re looking for your doppelganger.)

screen-shot-2019-04-21-at-6.35.14-pm.jpg

You’re probably as surprised as Nicholas David Nurse (Head Coach, 6’0”, 180 lbs., 38” Waistline, Age 52 as of 10/1/2019, in fact, TOMORROW) seems to be! Some, even him, might say he’s here a bit early. But here at LNX, we’d say this multi-league championship coach has arrived in the Nick of time! Come On Down!

If Nick Nurse seems to be a bit on the young side for a head coach, it’s because he was, 29 years ago, in fact, as a 23-year-old when NAIA school Grand View College announced him as the youngest head coach anywhere in the U.S.

Nick had already started his global coaching trek by then. A year after finishing his senior season at Northern Iowa, where he previously played with Greg McDermott, he became an assistant coach for the Purple Panthers, who promptly pulled off a first-round March Madness upset of #3 Missouri. Nurse’s trips across the Atlantic began the following season, as a player-coach for the British Basketball League’s franchise in Derby, England.

From 1995 through 2006, Nurse led four different BBL teams from the sidelines, with brief stops in Belgium and as an assistant with the USBL’s Oklahoma Storm, coaching games at Mark Price Arena. He won two BBL championships and was twice named the league’s Coach of the Year.

While returning to the Hawkeye State to coach the D-League’s Iowa Energy, he was tabbed to be an assistant coach for the British men’s national team. The Brits won just their second-ever Olympic game in front of a thrilled home crowd at the 2012 London Games, and kept a stiff upper lip through stiff competition before bowing out at the group stage.

With the Energy, he won his first D-League Coach of the Year trophy during Iowa’s 2010-11 championship season. He had planned to leave the D-League before that season to assist McDermott at Iowa State, but returned once Creighton came calling for McDermott.

By the time he joined a pro staff as an assistant in Toronto, Nurse had built up his international reputation as a player development guru, which made the eventual All-NBA accolades for the Raptors’ plateaued stars unsurprising, in retrospect. He also became well-regarded for his ability to transform offen(c)es. That made the team’s gutsy decision to usurp his award-winning boss and make him the new head coach, ahead of what became a first-ever championship season, much less surprising in the moment.

Of the ten top seasons for Relative O-Rating in Toronto’s quarter-century-long franchise history, six of them occurred during Nurse’s time on the bench. That included the team’s breakout 59-win season in 2017-18, and his “rookie” term last season, when the Raps won 58 games and bowled over Philly, Milwaukee and Golden State to secure the title. After failing to reach the second round of the Playoffs in all but one of the Raptors’ first 20 seasons, they have now done so for four consecutive seasons under Nurse and his predecessor’s watch.

Quite often, a championship ring accompanies longevity, which is what a Summer Dynasty League team seeks for a term of five or more years. Of the six league champions since 2011, five of them still employ their Finals-winning head coaches. The sole exception won in 2016 but then became a two-time Finals loser in Cleveland. That coach found himself canned weeks into the next season, after his integral star bolted for Los Angeles as a free agent. Might a similar fate befall Nurse?

That depends on how well he continues to develop young players into legitimate contenders, as he demonstrated this past season with award-winning LNX forward Pascal Siakam, and if he remains successful in preparing bench players to step up in big moments. He will again have a defen(c)ive leader on the floor, this time in Jimmy Butler, and will need to inspire Kemba Walker and others to uplift their intensity and production on that side of the floor. Mastering the other end is something Nurse has down pat.

He success in Toronto now has that country’s Rapt attention. Building on his Olympic experience, he will continue honing his skills as the head coach of Canada’s national men’s team, including next month’s FIBA World Cup in China. Never having finished better than 6th, the last time back in 1982, Canadians are hoping to have their most competitive finish ever, and with good reason, now that Nurse has been fired by Steve Nash and R.J. Barrett’s nationally-famous father. With R.J. and the burgeoning talent under his wing, a trip next year to Tokyo is quite likely.

If it seems Nick Nurse popped up out of nowhere to become a probable coaching Hall of Fame legend in his sport, it’s because he did. Beginning about three decades ago.

It’s time for a jolt from @IheartVolt! He’s been PM’d and is sure to serve up another electrifying pick!

~lw3

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

This is a before bed pick here.

With the 45th pick The Flaming Flamingo's select Philadelphia 76'er Tobias Harris. Tobias will be anchoring our SF position next to John Collins.

Goodnite guys

• Like 3