• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sophmore expectations....Trae Young

JayBirdHawk

19 hours ago, AHF said:

You literally responded to post about long 2’s being bad by saying they had value not from their % but from their volume.   You then talked about how they were good because your defender needs to know you are a threat as soon as you cross the 3pt line.  Not sure why you would respond to my post if you didn’t read it!

All I said was mid range. Mid range does not equal long 2's, but of course you're quick to 82games Nick Wright. All I want is a player that can score from all levels that's it.

Edited by Cwell
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Cwell said:

All I said was mid range. Mid range does not equal long 2's, but of course you're quick to 82games Nick Wright. All I want is a player that can score from all levels that's it.

Depends:  What do we consider mid range?  Is it that long, long 2 point shot with a toe on the three point circle?  I don't.  It's more like around the area behind the free throw line or about that far from the basket.  Too far away for the dunk and too close for the three ball.  Fade away jumper from here because the defense is close and must either foul or let the player shoot. 

What do you consider mid range?

:smug:

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Cwell said:

You responded to my post that was literally all about long 2s. You posted about needing to be a threat as soon as you cross the 3pt line which is a textbook long 2. Not sure why you would respond to me at all if you didn’t mean to address long 2s.  

They aren’t needed from him.

He was already pretty good (can still improve) on what I would consider mid-range.

(I didn’t look at 82aes in this but I would like to show accurate information when I post and can’t imagine why that would be bad.  Data is what NBA teams all use.  I guess I couldn’t have just said that all of the top scorers in the game are reducing or eliminating this shot and that would have been better than showing it?  Scratching my head on that one.)

On 8/3/2019 at 9:09 AM, AHF said:

You responded to my post that was literally all about long 2s. You posted about needing to be a threat as soon as you cross the 3pt line which is a textbook long 2. Not sure why you would respond to me at all if you didn’t mean to address long 2s.  

They aren’t needed from him.

He was already pretty good (can still improve) on what I would consider mid-range.

(I didn’t look at 82aes in this but I would like to show accurate information when I post and can’t imagine why that would be bad.  Data is what NBA teams all use.  I guess I couldn’t have just said that all of the top scorers in the game are reducing or eliminating this shot and that would have been better than showing it?  Scratching my head on that one.)

Actually no, my original post was in response to JTB saying if Trae added the mid range he'd easily average 25-30. You then responded to me with your own interpretation of what I meant by mid range. That's all, simple misunderstanding, it's all good.

All I know is when I watch those guys that take all their shots from 3 or at the rim end up struggling when the games get more important. My point wasn't just about mid range, like I said my point was about having a full offensive arsenal where you have multiple go to moves if something gets taken away.

Edited by Cwell

20 hours ago, marco102 said:

To be fair, in the playoffs teams take away threes and shots at the rim so if a player has a solid midrange game ( See Kwhai) it's a definite plus. To me,  a wide open shot from anywhere is better than a contested shot at the rim or from three. 

I don't think it hurts to work on the midrange game when that is what most teams are willing to give up in the playoffs because midrange shots are considered inefficient shots.

Didnt mean to quote you @AHF.

Best post in the thread

• Like 1

20 hours ago, marco102 said:

To be fair, in the playoffs teams take away threes and shots at the rim so if a player has a solid midrange game ( See Kwhai) it's a definite plus. To me,  a wide open shot from anywhere is better than a contested shot at the rim or from three. 

I don't think it hurts to work on the midrange game when that is what most teams are willing to give up in the playoffs because midrange shots are considered inefficient shots.

Didnt mean to quote you @AHF.

This is exactly what i've been trying to say this whole time, but you articulated it way better

• Like 1

• Moderators
37 minutes ago, Cwell said:

This is exactly what i've been trying to say this whole time, but you articulated it way better

I don't think you read my post when you quoted it then.  I said Trae already takes a good % of mid-range shots and shoots them at a solid rate which is fine but that he needed to avoid adding or emphasizing long 2's.

You came back with a defense of having to show you are a threat from the moment you crossed the 3pt line which is the definition of a long 2.  Trae should not be taking those shots unless so wide open that he can make them at a much higher rate than he has done to date.

Kawhi is not an example of someone who has ramped up on long 2's.  He de-emphasized these long 2's the past two years in the playoffs reducing his attempts from there by ~25%.  That is smart.  He took the lowest % of long 2's in the playoffs this year in his last 6 years.  In fact, he took fewer of them in the playoffs than he did in the regular season so they were in no way a bigger part of his offense in the playoffs.

I'm fine with the mid-range 10-16 foot shots if you can hit them efficiently but I'm not a fan of the long 2's and the consistent pattern is that teams and players are getting smarter with the leading scorers de-emphasizing that shot in both the regular season and the post-season.