• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sophmore expectations....Trae Young

JayBirdHawk

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, HawkItus said:

Maybe Kobe helps with his defense?

Kobe was an outstanding defender.  He had tools that Trae will never have but there is potential for Kobe's knowledge of the game to help on that end for sure.  Hopefully Kobe emphasizes the need to be a two-way player to Trae.

7 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Prepares for bad 15ft mid range fading away off of one foot and the other foot in the sky

Kobe is my favorite nba player and he did do this a lot but honestly I don’t think Trae is going to perform that mid range fade-away shot very often that Kobe took from MJs style 

I think this is much more of Trae just picking up Kobe’s knowledge of the game (best he can) and perhaps not to ignore the mid range shot though it’s said to be a bad shot in this era.

Edited by JTB
  • Like 1

Any one that can consistently hit a fade away jump shot from anywhere is not a bad shot. (Do they even call it that any more?) 

Anything that Trae can learn that will improve his overall game is great.  Fans sure don't want him hitting that sophomore jinx.

Our three rookies should help with defense.  Trae would play better defense if we weren't afraid he would foul out.

:hi:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Trae is a "Borg"!  Got to the love the kid trying to assimilate everything from every body!

th?id=OIP.k2rq2v13LAZznZ_Havg_zgHaEL&pid

Humility and a hard work ethic will go an incredibly long way in allowing Trae to ascend the ranks of greatness. He seems incredibly motivated and eager to learn/improve to me...forgive this next statement...but he is like the anti-Josh Smith!

• Like 1

Think we might be talking about a worry of getting slammed by screens as opposed to fouling out. Do expect some improvement on the D end but seriously measured expectations of how much. With that said it is a very good thing he is the best passer in the game. If our guys consistently hang on to the passes and nail the bunnies Trae may average twelve assists a game this time around. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JTB said:

Kobe is my favorite nba player and he did do this a lot but honestly I don’t think Trae is going to perform that mid range fade-away shot very often that Kobe took from MJs style 

I think this is much more of Trae just picking up Kobe’s knowledge of the game (best he can) and perhaps not to ignore the mid range shot though it’s said to be a bad shot in this era.

If Trae adds that mid range to his game he averages 25-30 easily. You can't guard everything

• Like 3

• Moderators
50 minutes ago, Cwell said:

If Trae adds that mid range to his game he averages 25-30 easily. You can't guard everything

Trae already shoots a healthy % from that 10-16 foot range.  It is the 16 foot+ range before getting to the 3pt line that he hasn't shot often or well.  And he shouldn't be focusing on that shot.  He has the range to get the extra 50% boost from taking a 3 instead and should do that almost exclusively over shooting the inefficient long 2.  The shorter 10-16 foot range means he is a danger to attack the rim, he is in better position to hit his teammates, and he is in a better position to get a higher % shot.

Shot selection is key to someone who will be handling and firing the ball as much as Trae will do.  I'm not excited about adding long fadeaways or inherently inefficient shots.

2 hours ago, AHF said:

Trae already shoots a healthy % from that 10-16 foot range.  It is the 16 foot+ range before getting to the 3pt line that he hasn't shot often or well.  And he shouldn't be focusing on that shot.  He has the range to get the extra 50% boost from taking a 3 instead and should do that almost exclusively over shooting the inefficient long 2.  The shorter 10-16 foot range means he is a danger to attack the rim, he is in better position to hit his teammates, and he is in a better position to get a higher % shot.

Shot selection is key to someone who will be handling and firing the ball as much as Trae will do.  I'm not excited about adding long fadeaways or inherently inefficient shots.

It’s not just about percentage, it’s volume. It’s about giving your defender more to worry about. His defender needs to be worried about Trae pulling up from anywhere, while running the risk of being blown by at the same time. 

As a defender it gets easier for you when you know as soon as your man steps inside the 3 point line, he’s zero threat to score until he gets to the painted area, outside of one handed push floaters of course. It’s just about having the full arsenal, it can create just enough extra space out of fear. Just my opinion though. You know I don’t give a damn about advanced stats 🤷🏾‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, Cwell said:

It’s not just about percentage, it’s volume. It’s about giving your defender more to worry about. His defender needs to be worried about Trae pulling up from anywhere, while running the risk of being blown by at the same time. 

As a defender it gets easier for you when you know as soon as your man steps inside the 3 point line, he’s zero threat to score until he gets to the painted area, outside of one handed push floaters of course. It’s just about having the full arsenal, it can create just enough extra space out of fear. Just my opinion though. You know I don’t give a damn about advanced stats 🤷🏾‍♂️

Volume from long 2 range is a bad thing.  Trae needs to be driving, taking the tear drops and shooting the higher % midrange 2s, not taking long range 2s. 

He is enough of a threat from anywhere that he won't go unguarded.  LMAO at the idea of a defender sagging off of Trae the moment he steps into the 3 point line because now he is perceived as "zero threat to score."  That will never happen.  Of course, Trae is smart so he wouldn't take the long 2 if his man stopped marking him there, he'd step back and take the 3 for 50% more points.  

Trae will always inspire fear with his jumper anywhere on the court.  He needs to take smart shots.

It is not an advanced statistic issue but a basic one.  What shots generate the most points for the team?  (Hint:  It is not the long 2.)

5 hours ago, EazyRoc said:

I was reading an article on RJ Hampton last night and he was telling the interviewer he models his game after Trae Young. I thought that was nuts that he’s already getting that kind of respect..We got a real deal star y’all..it’s been almost 30 years lol 

AND he’s gained like 10 lbs this off season. Kid is about to explode..

This is nothing short of awesome. We are the Cats that others including the networks will be be drooling over. Our time to shine.

• Like 1

• Moderators

As some additional context here, Steph Curry started taking ~30% of his shots as long 2's.  The last 4 years he has taken ~10%.  Did Steph get stupid?  Do teams no longer view Steph as a threat when he steps inside the arc?  No.  Steph got smart and stopped taking so many low reward shots.

Kevin Durant is a 4x scoring champ.  He started his career also around 30% from long 2pt range.  The last 5+ years he has been closer to 16%.  Again, did he get stupid?  No.  Smart enough to know that you take some of those shots when they leave you open but that you don't want to take so many of them.

How about 2x and current scoring champ James Harden?  He has shot less than 5% of shots from there the last 3 years and actually less than 2% of  his shots were long 2's last year.  Do you think teams don't fear him when he is inside the arc?  Of course not.  He knows he generates more points off of other shots.  New career low.  New career high in scoring.

Other scoring leaders from last season: 

Paul George - less than 12% last year which was a new career low as he hit a career high in scoring.

Giannis - less than 7%, a new career low as he hit a career high in scoring.

Embiid -  He has been less than 10% for his career.  Last year was 9% (down from the prior year as his scoring increased).

Devin Booker - less than 12%, new career low as he hit a career high in scoring.

This is backed up by both basic common sense and advanced numbers.  They are all aligned on this.  Long 2's are shots you don't want in substantial volume.  Trae should only take the most open opportunities and should otherwise seek more rewarding shots.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Cwell said:

Nobody ever said anything about long 2’s 😂 

You literally responded to post about long 2’s being bad by saying they had value not from their % but from their volume.   You then talked about how they were good because your defender needs to know you are a threat as soon as you cross the 3pt line.  Not sure why you would respond to my post if you didn’t read it!

If Trae's game moves forward like the silk of his interviews....yeah, maybe we are not overrating anything with him at all. Just don't see sub .500 anymore no matter the flaws with us.

• Thanks 1