• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Boys are Back in Town! MEDIA DAY - Monday Sept. 30th/Countdown/Player Previews etc.

JayBirdHawk

4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I have no expectations of Chandler!

Ya me neither. I do believe he can still play but I’m not sure if he’s gonna be able to stay on the floor. He’s been Tmac type injured lately. Like gone for a couple years it seemed.

• Like 2

When the term "bone marrow transplant" was used a good while back I felt Parson's future would be limited to just a handful of minutes off the bench moving forward but as it turns out he still can never stay healthy for any real stretch to even get those type of minutes. Hope it goes well for him but am expecting pretty much nothing for him here. Thinking third string long ball guy at this point would be his role, maybe.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

There is little question that Fernando enters the league with the profile and potential of a first-round pick. In his two years playing for the Terrapins, he posted solid numbers for a big man playing a college game that seems to be more and more dominated by guard play. Averaging 13.6 points and 10.9 rebounds per game as a sophomore earned a first-team spot on the All-Big Ten team. He was also named first team All-Big Ten Defensive Team.

Fernando could not have found a more ideal landing spot coming out of the draft. The Hawks are rebuilding, despite being beyond Stage 1 of the rebuild. The Hawks are still committed to prioritizing development over a win at all costs approach at this time. Further, roster turnover has created more of a void at the center position than the team had a year ago. In all, Fernando has landed in a spot that should allow him to play through a learning curve without an overwhelming level of competition for playing time at his position.

It is difficult to project Fernando’s role when the Hawks break camp and head to Detroit to open the regular season in October. Alex Len is certain to be the starter, but it would not be a surprise to see veteran Damian Jones playing ahead of the rookie center, at least for the early portion of the regular season. There will be no need to rush a rookie into action while he is still adjusting to the NBA game and learning systems that will be new to him on both ends of the floor.

In the long run, the rookie center projects as a potential plus defender who can match up with bigs yet still cover space quickly to rotate and provide rim protection. He has the agility to stay with smaller players after a switch if he can develop the fundamental footwork and learn to take angles needed to defend at the NBA level.

Offensively, he should be an adequate rim runner or big working in the dunker spot right way, But, in pick-and-roll action, opposing defenses will certainly sag under the screen daring him to pop from the screen action and take jump shots. Given his hand-off radius, dribble hand-off action may be a better fit for him early on if he is asked to do any on the ball action at all.

Unless he breaks out unexpectedly during the preseason portion of the schedule, Fernando could begin the season with a limited role, likely forced into action when a player ahead of him is dealing with an injury or gets into foul trouble. As the season progresses, his playing time should mirror the progress of his development. He is sure to have some explosive, highlight-reel moments as a rookie but they are likely to be interspersed among many more minutes of learning moments that are typical to NBA rookie play.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

“I’m feeling like I can’t get a break right now. It’s always something...”

These were the words spoken by DeAndre’ Bembry during his second season, a season in which the former St. Joe’s swingman appeared in just 26 regular season games in what was an injury-plagued season.

Having initially been looking forward to his second season — expressing excitement of the opportunity in front of him after the departure of some of the veterans in the summer of 2017 — Bembry’s 2017-18 season was an unfortunate setback in his development and placed quite a bit of pressure on him ahead of his third season.

Indeed, the challenge Bembry’s 2018-19 season was unofficially outlined in a quote from former Hawks head coach Mike Budenholzerin February of Bembry’s second season.

“It seems it’s the most fundamental thing,” said Budenholzer. “I think he’s got to take care of himself and find a way to stay healthy.”

And that he did.

Under Lloyd Pierce’s first season in Atlanta, Bembry assembled a full 82 game season in what was a breakout year of sorts after having played just 64 games in his first two seasons in the NBA. Part of the reason for his limited playing time in his rookie season was due to the fact the Hawks were a playoff team and Bembry saw his time split with fellow rookie wing Taurean Prince, but Bembry had his healthystruggles during his rookie campaign as well.

The 2018-19 season was also the first season for Executive Director of Athletic Performance and Sports Medicine Chelsea Lane, as well as Vince Carter, who brought significant stability to the Hawks’ locker room and practices.

I’m no doctor, but I would imagine the correlation between Bembry amassing a full 82 game season with Lane coming into the fold is quite strong.

Carter’s influence on Bembry was something mentioned by Lloyd Pierce ahead of his first training camp with the Hawks, saying that the first person he pointed Carter towards was Bembry.

“...DeAndre’ has been here for [two] years and has only played 64 games whereas Vince has played 1405 games,” said Pierce. “So there’s a lot of conversations both of those guys can have in terms of the game experience, what it means to be a pro and what it means toextend your career and what it takes.”

While the impact wasn’t as big as the one Lane would’ve made, Carter deserves a bit of credit for the upturn in Bembry’s bounce-back season, his experience I’m sure aiding Bembry is some way, shape or form.

Bembry's place in the rotation will be dependent on his shooting or if our defense is really bad and doesn't improve enough.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Parker was better at the rim for Washington compared to Chicago, shooting 71 percent (91/128), ranking him in the 82nd percentile among power forwards, compared to a 66 percent mark playing in the Bulls’ system. He also ranked in the 92nd percentile among fours in field goal percentage in the short midrange (51 percent), and the 75th percentile among power forwards from the midrange entirely (44 percent) once joining the Wizards. This skill will be important when Parker is tasked with much of the scoring load while playing with a second unit that could lack pure shot-making ability around the sixth-year forward.

The offensive upside is obviously what attracted Atlanta to Parker, as he should slide in as the team’s sixth man and potentially be the third- or fourth-leading scorer on the club. The question mark with Parker has always been the defensive end of the floor, and that’s the area of concern the team will likely have with him given the lack of experience he’s largely surrounded by.

Hopefully we get the Wizard version of Jabari on offense while he at least attempts to play some defense.

• Like 1