• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Series: What went wrong with Rumeal

Spud2nique

The body of a baby Timmy Hardaway with the talent of Rafer Alston. 

It was a critical time for us as a franchise and he didn’t help us much and never really got comfortable with us. It seemed to work out for us because we got a chance to go after Mookie and get a deal done for him.

Rumeal had the physical tools 🧰 as well as the great collegiate career. Did we not develop him? 

Kinda funny, we weren’t able to accommodate or groom any point guard for the longest time. 

Glad those days are over as far as personnel and decision making.

Praysss JEEEEZuss this thread is 3 days old and only has 2 responses. Well, now 3. Look forward through our eggciting new windshield, not regrettingly back through our cracked rear view mirror. We’ve had PLENTY of discussion on these failure players, in the past back when they failed us. Onward and upward. Yuck @Spud2nique, yuck 🤢 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, hazer said:

Praysss JEEEEZuss this thread is 3 days old and only has 2 responses. Well, now 3. Look forward through our eggciting new windshield, not regrettingly back through our cracked rear view mirror. We’ve had PLENTY of discussion on these failure players, in the past back when they failed us. Onward and upward. Yuck @Spud2nique, yuck 🤢 

Do you have a problem with the series or the fact that it’s a what went wrong scenario? 😏  I dunno what’s going on here. Its just a topic on squawk I’m not sure why some take it personally 🤷‍♀️ The yuck is again beating a dead horse 🐴 .

1 hour ago, hazer said:

Ps I’m always an optimist and think our future is bright, so onward and upward seems like we are on the same page. 😊 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Well, to get to the Jist of his major issue is this:

When he came to us, he came to us from the winning Michigan Basketball team. 

He played with Glen Rice, Loy Vault, Sean Higgins, and others.   They played an uptempo style where if all else fails, bail out to Rice.   Rice scored damn near 30 ppg and shot over 50% from three.  Rice was a helluva college player.   So when it came to Rumeal, he had wide open spaces to work in and he didn't have to do much because with Rice and Higgins outside and Vault inside, Rumeal got any shot he wanted. 

However, when he played with us.  We had no shooters that could bail us out.   He was not use to playing with slashers.   But his second year wasn't bad.   He was just no Doc Rivers. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

He played with Glen Rice, Loy Vault, Sean Higgins, and others.   They played an uptempo style where if all else fails, bail out to Rice.   Rice scored damn near 30 ppg and shot over 50% from three.  Rice was a helluva college player.   So when it came to Rumeal, he had wide open spaces to work in and he didn't have to do much because with Rice and Higgins outside and Vault inside, Rumeal got any shot he wanted. 

However, when he played with us.  We had no shooters that could bail us out.   He was not use to playing with slashers.   But his second year wasn't bad.   He was just no Doc Rivers. 

Having Glen Rice nailing clutch baskets was pretty much a dream situation for Rumeal. Remember when Rice almost single handedly took out UNC in their big run and Dean Smith was shouting Glen's name at the end of the game trying to get to him to congratulate him in the middle of a lot of madness on the court. Kinda an Amazing Mets kind type of year because Rice just never missed a had to have basket. If the other team didn't have a double digit lead with two minutes left Glen would win it for his guys. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thomas said:

Having Glen Rice nailing clutch baskets was pretty much a dream situation for Rumeal. Remember when Rice almost single handedly took out UNC in their big run and Dean Smith was shouting Glen's name at the end of the game trying to get to him to congratulate him in the middle of a lot of madness on the court. Kinda an Amazing Mets kind type of year because Rice just never missed a had to have basket. If the other team didn't have a double digit lead with two minutes left Glen would win it for his guys. 

Glen Rice was the man for sure. He even went out with Sarah Palin. 😐 

I remember wanting 3 guys in that draft badly for us. GP, and we could have easily slid up to a top three selection as the Sonics and us had similar records if I recall correctly but they won a top 3 slot. Chris Jackson, because he was a stud and a knockdown shooter we could pair with Nique. Lastly was Bo Kimble, that left handed ft he shot in honor of Hank Gathers was the tops. He won a lot of people over at the time.

Can you imagine Nique and GP, just a rugrat from Oaktown and a flying Frenchman, aaahhhh that would have been really nice and possibly had us making an eastern conference finals in 93,94, maybe even avoided the Nique trade. One stupid bounce of a ping pong 🏓 ball. 🤦‍♀️ 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Glen Rice was the man for sure. He even went out with Sarah Palin. 😐 

I remember wanting 3 guys in that draft badly for us. GP, and we could have easily slid up to a top three selection as the Sonics and us had similar records if I recall correctly but they won a top 3 slot. Chris Jackson, because he was a stud and a knockdown shooter we could pair with Nique. Lastly was Bo Kimble, that left handed ft he shot in honor of Hank Gathers was the tops. He won a lot of people over at the time.

Can you imagine Nique and GP, just a rugrat from Oaktown and a flying Frenchman, aaahhhh that would have been really nice and possibly had us making an eastern conference finals in 93,94, maybe even avoided the Nique trade. One stupid bounce of a ping pong 🏓 ball. 🤦‍♀️ 

I think Mookie gave us very similar to what GP would have,

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Lastly was Bo Kimble, that left handed ft he shot in honor of Hank Gathers was the tops. He won a lot of people over at the time.

Classic sportsmanship and a lot more by Bo. Wanted him to have an NBA career worthy of that incredible gesture.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Do you have a problem with the series or the fact that it’s a what went wrong scenario? 😏  I dunno what’s going on here. Its just a topic on squawk I’m not sure why some take it personally 🤷‍♀️ The yuck is again beating a dead horse 🐴 .

I think Soth put it best: every day there’s a new one, or two, the entire front page of Squawk is covered up in it top-to-bottom (speaking of beating a dead horse, an old one at that). The season can’t get here fast enough 😬

You still my dude, Dawg 👍🏽

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hazer said:

I think Soth put it best: every day there’s a new one, or two, the entire front page of Squawk is covered up in it top-to-bottom (speaking of beating a dead horse, an old one at that). The season can’t get here fast enough 😬

You still my dude, Dawg 👍🏽

Ya we a few Willis, Carr’s and Levingston’s about 30 years ago around the same time in September. We wanna take little shots in the paint 🎨 and that’s what I thought Weezies were doin the whole time right? 👍🏼 

Right back atcha slick! 😉 

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Hmmm, 🤔 I love Mookie to death but no. No Gary was better.

Defensively... Gary was called the Glove.  But Mookie shouldn't been called the Mitten or something.   Did you ever see Mookie Terrorize other guards???

Rk            Player From   To   G  GS    MP   FG   FGA  FG%   3P  3PA  3P%   2P  2PA  2P% eFG%   FT  FTA  FT% ORB  DRB  TRB  AST  STL BLK  TOV   PF   PTS
1    Mookie Blaylock 1990 1999 712 669 25616 4011  9715 .413 1094 3248 .337 2917 6467 .451 .469 1145 1545 .741 883 2182 3065 4907 1742 254 1759 1411 10261
2       Gary Payton* 1991 2000 786 780 28190 5386 11401 .472  707 2233 .317 4679 9168 .510 .503 2006 2803 .716 988 2247 3235 5548 1756 169 1958 2097 13485

Provided by Basketball-Reference.com: View Original Table
Generated 9/17/2019.

I took their first 10 years and look at their totals. 

Defensively... Mookie may be better.  

1 minute ago, Diesel said:

Defensively... Gary was called the Glove.  But Mookie shouldn't been called the Mitten or something.   Did you ever see Mookie Terrorize other guards???

Rk            Player From   To   G  GS    MP   FG   FGA  FG%   3P  3PA  3P%   2P  2PA  2P% eFG%   FT  FTA  FT% ORB  DRB  TRB  AST  STL BLK  TOV   PF   PTS
1    Mookie Blaylock 1990 1999 712 669 25616 4011  9715 .413 1094 3248 .337 2917 6467 .451 .469 1145 1545 .741 883 2182 3065 4907 1742 254 1759 1411 10261
2       Gary Payton* 1991 2000 786 780 28190 5386 11401 .472  707 2233 .317 4679 9168 .510 .503 2006 2803 .716 988 2247 3235 5548 1756 169 1958 2097 13485

Provided by Basketball-Reference.com: View Original Table
Generated 9/17/2019.

I took their first 10 years and look at their totals. 

Defensively... Mookie may be better.  

Oh I don’t doubt Mookie was good and very stout defensively with some of the quickest hands in the game and played the passing lanes with the best of them.

Gary Payton is a hall of famer. 

The end.

On 9/16/2019 at 6:49 AM, Diesel said:

I've been saying much of this in regards to Rumeal since signing onto this board years ago, except that I was far more critical of his overall game. The reason for my constant criticism of Rumeal is because I looked at what he did at UM after a few of those guys left for the pros. Just about anyone would look good as a college point guard with Glen Rice, Loy Vaught, Terry Mills, and Sean Higgins riding shotgun next to you and Rumeal was no exception. Add in the fact that he hit the game-winning free throws that won Michigan a national title and folks were ready to crown him the second coming. That went double for Babs, who called Rumeal the next Isiah Thomas after picking him. 

As far as that UM team was concerned, the only guy I really wanted to play for the Hawks was Glen Rice, which they had no shot in h3ll of getting in the draft, with Loy Vaught as a distant second. I wanted nothing at all to do with Rumeal because I saw him as being massively overrated in college. But in all fairness, that draft class was hysterically bad for point guards so I guess you have that...

• Like 1

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Oh I don’t doubt Mookie was good and very stout defensively with some of the quickest hands in the game and played the passing lanes with the best of them.

Gary Payton is a hall of famer. 

The end.

That's why Mookie Smoke...

Because Mookie is a better defensive player than Payton but Payton got all the press..

• Confused 1