• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

We Will Be The Next Squad Teams Attempt To Model

sillent

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I guess Bembry and Evan Turner are outside shooter too!

What team were they #2 in 3pa over a hall of fame scoring guard?

I doubt either of them has been top 5 on their team in 3pt attempts.  Rodman was in both of those seasons (#2 and #4) and played with some stud shooters.  He shouldn’t have taken that many in any season, imo, but he did.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Sounds like the @NBASupes argument!  lol!  You don't have to make the shots all you have to do is take them.

That is literally correct.  He took a high proportion of his shots from 3 and a high proportion of his team’s 3pt attempts.  It describes his role on the team’s offense - which was largely to shoot jumpers and crash the boards.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, AHF said:

That is literally correct.  He took a high proportion of his shots from 3 and a high proportion of his team’s 3pt attempts.  It describes his role on the team’s offense - to shoot jumpers and crash the boards.

Yep that Josh Smith was a 3 point shooter too!  LOL!

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Yep that Josh Smith was a 3 point shooter too!  LOL!

You keep hitting the nail on the head by accident.  It is precisely because Josh played as an outside shooter that his career tanked.  If he hadn’t converted to an outside shooter he could have been so much better.  But he did, much to my dismay.  Way to many 3’s and long 2 jump shots.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, AHF said:

You keep hitting the nail on the head by accident.  It is precisely because Josh played as an outside shooter that his career ranked.  If he hadn’t converted to an outside shooter he could have been so much better.  But he did, much to my dismay.

Shooters that can't shoot...Interesting concept!

• Premium Member

I can see us making the playoffs but 50 wins?  That would be nice I dont see that.  We are weak on defense and until we see improvement there then we are suspect.  Then you have to add in rookies that have to learn to play at a high level every night.  Hope to see Trae continue to elevate his game, get comfortable, and be the leader.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

I might've not put Hybrids but I meant a combination of their attributes.

Hunter = Kawhi/Rodman meaning a combo of both skillsets

Collins =Amare/Millsap hybrid

Jones = Dedmon like pleasant surprise

If I listened to the media & pundits I probably wouldn't be a Hawks fan.

Media & Weather reporters must have it nice to be wrong so much & still keep their jobs.

20 hours ago, Diesel said:

Saw that.  

Problem is the 1 and 2 are nondefensive and won't get much better.   That means that when teams want to hurt us, they just load up on our backcourt.  Defensive schemes can help but personnel makes the biggest difference.   I really wanted Trae and Klay for this problem.  

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss our young talent. I think Curry dealt with the same ridicule early in his career & Huerter at 6'8 is not that bad and can only get better. Ultimately I believe our lineup of the future will be Trae, Cam, Hunter, Collins & possibly Damian Jones with Bembry, Huerter, Parker, Fernando & Len coming off the bench either late this season or early next if we hold on to Parker/Len. I believe we will keep Bembry & Jones if they continue to improve & fit.

• 1 month later...
On 9/22/2019 at 11:46 AM, TheNorthCydeRises said:

The success of this team will depend on how quickly they can become a better defensive team.  If the projected defensive impact of Hunter, Cam, and Bruno can quickly translate to the pro game, you'll should see this team rapidly improve.   Jones' defensive impact in limited minutes in Golden State, also needs to translate to the Hawks.

Honestly, that's not how the league works, seeing that rookies normally struggle mightily on defense in their first year in the league.  If the rookies have legitimate defensive impacts right away, we may have something here.

Then you look at the additions via free agency or trade:

- Evan Turner:  Traditionally a plus defender

- Jabari Parker:  Traditionally a minus defender

- Allen Crabbe:  Traditionally a minus defender

- Chandler Parsons:  Has been a minus defender 4 of the last 5 seasons

- Vince Carter:  Had a bad year last season, but traditionally an even defender

The key to EVERYTHING defensively, may be John Collins.  Can he get back to how he was playing defense in his rookie year ( from a rim protection standpoint )?  We honestly need to have Collins start to be an impact defender, if this team is going to rapidly improve.  Can he slow down his man from scoring in bunches?  Can he make game changing defensive plays?  He'll have to start doing that more and more, if the Hawks look to improve on that end of the floor.

You were on point with this one! So far we're off to a great start.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 6:25 PM, Diesel said:

Instead of starting a new thread... I'll work here. 

Honestly, we're going to be a team with No Defensive anchor. In fact, I don't know if we have a player that will be better than average on defense.  I know it's a different NBA.  So the question is... can a weakly defensive team make the playoffs??

So far, so good.  Hawks are much better on defense this season.  Turns out that the Hawks may not be the weakly defensive team we feared.

:smug:

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

So far, so good.  Hawks are much better on defense this season.  Turns out that the Hawks may not be the weakly defensive team we feared.

:smug:

Kinda wild how that has reversed itself from last year with our additions now. And we are even younger to boot. Surprising D so very soon to me.

• Like 1