Trade Deadline Article Compilation Thread

AHF

• Moderators

This is intended to compile articles as they issue for discussion around the trade deadline.  Kicking it off with an excerpts from two of ESPN's latest articles:

Atlanta Hawks

atl.png?w=80&h=80&transparent=true

What to watch: Andre Drummond and the expiring contracts

Despite sitting in the bottom of the Eastern Conference, Atlanta has the right mix of expiring contracts (Allen Crabbe, Chandler Parsons and Evan Turner), young players and draft assets to become a buyer at the deadline. One name that has surfaced: Pistons All-Star Drummond.

Although Atlanta could sign Drummond outright this summer when he becomes a free agent, there are advantages to acquiring him at the deadline. The Hawks would inherit his Bird rights, allowing them to pay him more money ($202 million) compared with a team that has cap space (up to $150 million over four years). The two months with Drummond on the roster would allow both sides to see whether there is a fit long term. And because Drummond would be under contract, Atlanta could recruit him in-house leading up until free agency. That is a big difference compared with having a three-hour free-agent visit in early July.

Atlanta also could decide to become a seller with its $62 million in expiring contracts. The Hawks can try swapping out those deals for long-term salary with draft assets attached. One consideration here: Unlike last year, when the market was flooded with negative long-term deals, NBA executives can identify only about 10 deadweight deals this year, including Dion Waiters in Miami and Nicolas Batum in Charlotte. That makes Atlanta's big expirings less valuable.

Front-office deadline history: Since coming to the Hawks in 2017, GM Travis Schlenk has orchestrated four in-season trades, all financially motivated. In total, Atlanta received $2.6M in cash, with none of the four players acquired remaining on the roster after the season ended.

Restrictions/notes

Atlanta Hawks

atl.png?w=80&h=80&transparent=true

Off the board: Trae Young ($6.3 million, RFA in 2022)

Trade targets: Jabari Parker ($6.5 million, PO in 2020) and Alex Len ($4.2 million, UFA 2020)

Free agents in July: Parker (PO), Len, Chandler Parsons ($25.1 million), Evan Turner ($18.6 million), Allen Crabbe ($18.5 million), DeAndre' Bembry ($2.6 million, RFA), Damian Jones ($2.3 million, RFA) and Vince Carter ($1.6M, veto power)

Controllable contracts: De'Andre Hunter ($7.1 million, RFA in 2023), Cam Reddish ($4.3 million, RFA in 2023), John Collins ($2.7 million, RFA in 2021), Kevin Huerter ($2.6 million, RFA in 2022) and Bruno Fernando ($1.4 million, RFA in 2022)

Draft capital: Atlanta holds lottery-protected first-rounders via Brooklyn (2020) and OKC (2022), plus second-round picks via Brooklyn, Charlotte, New Orleans, Miami and Golden State.

Potential front office questions: How do we improve the roster around Young?

Finances: The Hawks are the lone team with cap space ($4.8 million) and one of four teams (including Charlotte, Cleveland and Memphis) that will have at least $20 million in 2020 cap space. Atlanta is projected to have $70 million available in July.

Detroit Pistons

det.png?w=80&h=80&transparent=true

What to watch: The roster outside of Blake Griffin

The Pistons define being stuck in the NBA middle -- not good enough to compete for a top playoff spot and not bad enough to bottom out with prospects and draft assets. Detroit is at a crossroads with Griffin still owed over $100 million, Andre Drummond set to be a free agent if he opts out and a hole at point guard. There is also a mandate to stay under the luxury tax.

The Pistons are in limbo with Drummond. They can play out the season and look to re-sign him in July (at a huge financial cost) or continue to test his trade value. Bringing back an expiring contract (such as that of Chandler Parsons) along with draft picks would give Detroit $36 million in cap space for 2020. That could be enough to sign a player such as Fred VanVleet and use the remaining money on a center-by-committee approach.

Besides Drummond, the Pistons have the expiring contracts of Reggie Jackson and Langston Galloway, along with the team-friendly salaries of veterans Derrick Rose and Markieff Morris. Rose has significant value not only because of his contract but also because teams can use him coming off the bench or as a starter.

Front-office deadline history: Hired in 2018, Ed Stefanski has made two trades during the regular season -- both right at the deadline last February. The deals netted two former draft picks in Svi Mykhailiuk and Thon Maker, along with a 2021 second-rounder from the Lakers.

Restrictions/notes

• Detroit is $3,669 below the luxury tax.

• The Pistons can send out $3.6 million in cash.

• Detroit has a $2.5 million and a $1.1 million trade exception.

• Drummond has an 8% trade bonus in his contract.

Detroit Pistons

det.png?w=80&h=80&transparent=true

Off the board: Luke Kennard ($3.8 million, RFA in 2021) and Sekou Doumbouya ($3.3 million, RFA in 2023)

Trade target: Andre Drummond ($27.1 million, PO in 2020) and Langston Galloway ($7.3 million, UFA in 2020)

Contract with value: Derrick Rose ($7.3 million, UFA in 2021)

Toughest salary to move: Blake Griffin ($34.4 million, PO in 2021)

Free agents in July: Galloway, Reggie Jackson ($18.1 million), Thon Maker ($3.6 million, RFA), Markieff Morris ($3.2 million, PO), Tim Frazier ($1.6 million) and Christian Wood ($1.6 million)

Controllable contracts: Bruce Brown ($1.4 million, RFA in 2021), Khyri Thomas ($1.4 million, RFA in 2021) and Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk ($1.4 million, TO in 2020)

Rest of the roster: Tony Snell ($11.4 million, UFA in 2021)

Draft capital: The Pistons own all of their first-round selections, plus second-round picks via the Lakers (2021) and Portland (2023).

Potential front office questions: Will they decide to keep Drummond or take the best offer before the deadline? Should they keep an open line of communication on every player except Kennard and Doumbouya?

Finances: Currently $3,669 below the luxury tax and $5.8 million below the hard cap, there is little flexibility for the Pistons to take back salary. They also have trade exceptions worth $2.5 million and $1.1 million. If Drummond returns, Detroit will be right at the cap in July. Without the center, the team will be $36 million below the cap line.

Oklahoma City Thunder

okc.png?w=80&h=80&transparent=true

What to watch: Danilo Gallinari, Mike Muscala and Andre Roberson

The three veterans are the headliners on a Thunder team in transition -- but in contention for a playoff spot.

Gallinari ($22.6 million expiring) is one of the headliners of the trade deadline. Because of his ability to play multiple positions and stretch the floor, he would be a major addition to any playoff team. However, although some teams have expiring contracts to match salary (such as Kent Bazemore or Hassan Whiteside in Portland), will a potential asking price of a first-round pick be too rich?

As for Muscala, moving his $2 million contract would put the Thunder comfortably under the tax threshold and give them enough room to sign a replacement player to the prorated minimum.

The Thunder have not gotten many games from Roberson since he signed a three-year, $30 million contract in 2017, with the forward going through multiple surgeries. Although he doesn't currently have value from a playing perspective, Roberson does carry a $10 million expiring contract that the Thunder can flip along with one of the bevy of first-round picks to become buyers at the deadline.

Front-office deadline history: Since the 2016-17 season, Sam Presti has made only three trades during the regular season: two basketball-related ones (acquiring Jerami Grant, Taj Gibson and Doug McDermott) and one to shed tax costs.

Restrictions/notes

• Oklahoma City is $922,000 over the luxury tax with an open roster spot.

• The Thunder have three trade exceptions worth $10.4 million, $9.3 million and $1.5 million.

• Oklahoma City can receive up to $4.6 million in a trade.

• Nerlens Noel has a one-year Bird restriction and can veto any trade.

• Steven Adams has a 7.5% trade bonus.

• Because of three trades this past offseason, OKC could have 15 first-round picks in the next seven years.

• Paul George, Russell Westbrook and Grant cannot be reacquired.

Oklahoma City Thunder

okc.png?w=80&h=80&transparent=true

Off the board: Shai Gilgeous-Alexander ($4 million, RFA in 2022)

Trade target: Danilo Gallinari ($22.6 million, UFA in 2020) and Mike Muscala ($2 million, PO in 2020)

Toughest salary to move: Chris Paul ($38.5 million, PO in 2021). Paul is here because of his $44.2M salary in 2021-22, not because of his play this season.

Free agents in July: Gallinari, Muscala, Andre Roberson ($10.7 million) and Nerlens Noel ($1.6 million, veto power)

Controllable contracts: Terrance Ferguson ($2.5 million, RFA in 2021), Darius Bazley ($2.3 million, RFA in 2023), Hamidou Diallo ($1.4 million, TO in 2020), Deonte Burton ($1.4 million, RFA in 2021) and Abdel Nader ($1.6 million, TO in 2020)

Rest of the roster: Steven Adams ($25.8 million, UFA in 2021), Dennis Schröder ($15.5 million, UFA in 2021) and Justin Patton ($1.6 million, UFA in 2021)

Draft capital: OKC is projected to have 15 first-round picks over the next seven years, plus second-rounders in in 2020, 2021 and 2026.

Potential front office questions: Can they make the playoffs without Gallinari? The Thunder were 4-1 when Gallinari was out because of injury.

Finances: The Thunder are $922,000 over the luxury tax and have multiple trade exceptions. They are right at the cap for next season.

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/28426942/nba-trade-deadline-lists-targets-draft-capital-big-questions

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/28239290/nba-trade-deadline-hearing-all-30-teams

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-trade-deadline-buyers-and-sellers-teams-most-likely-to-make-a-big-move-include-lakers-76ers-knicks/

Hawks are not mentioned.

Players who could be moved: Andre DrummondReggie Jackson, Derrick Rose, Markieff Morris

The Pistons would probably like to get that Blake Griffin contract off the books, but it will be next to impossible to find a taker. Owner Tom Gores has hinted at roster moves on the horizon, and the trade rumors for Drummond are already heating up. Finding a deal might largely depend on what the Pistons are looking for and if they're willing to take on bad salary in exchange for assets. After making the playoffs last season, it now appears that Detroit may be on the precipice of a rebuild, so it would behoove them to see what they can get before the trade deadline.

• Like 3

• Moderators

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/1/14/21064795/atlanta-hawks-trade-deadline-rumors-free-agency

But there is one key difference between Schlenk and Sam Hinkie, his quasi-predecessor in Philadelphia. Hinkie drafted as if the odds were against him; he was looking for stars and worrying about fit later. Schlenk, who comes from a more traditional scouting background with the Warriors, has taken the opposite approach. He drafts like someone who believes he can beat the odds, selecting prospects based on how their skill sets complement each other instead of their theoretical upside. His goal has been to assemble a cohesive group better than the sum of its parts, even if it means passing on players with more talent in a vacuum. The question is how much longer he will get to execute his plan if it doesn’t start to show progress.

This full article makes lots of points:

• Young is foundation for team and it all falls apart without him. The constrast for Mavs and Hawks is really less about Young / Luka and more about whether adding vets and winning now is better than rebuilding over a longer timeframe.
  • JC is our second best guy and has shown significant improvement on defense, with the team doing well with him at both the 4 and the 5 but he and Young aren't enough together to make this a winning team today.
  • Huerter been set back this year by injuries but has a diverse skill set; still the team needs him to do more.  
  • Hunter and Reddish have done very littler; promising on D but unproductive on offense.  Not a surprise.  Idea was JC and Trae would be the high volume guys on O while the wings added D and complementary offense.

The biggest problem in Atlanta this season hasn’t been the young players. It has been everyone else. The Hawks were bad last season, when they had a 29-53 record and a net rating of minus-5.5, but they still had quality veterans like Kent Bazemore, Taurean Prince, and Dewayne Dedmon. Those guys are all gone, and there’s just not much talent left in their supporting cast. Look at the list of players that Atlanta head coach Lloyd Pierce has been forced to rely on this season: Jabari Parker, DeAndre’ Bembry, Alex Len, Damian Jones, Vince Carter, Allen Crabbe, Bruno Fernando, and Brandon Goodwin. The Hawks could take a big step forward next season just by getting competent play from the rest of their rotation.

Schlenk has to upgrade the roster, either at the trade deadline or during the offseason. The question is whether he will keep making long-term decisions or whether he will feel the pressure to make win-now moves, even if it comes at the expense of the team’s ultimate ceiling. The one thing in his favor is that he received a contract extension last summer, which gives him some measure of job security.

The most notable player whom the Hawks have been linked to in trade talks is Andre Drummond. Drummond, who is still only 26, is an elite rebounder who would be dynamic in the pick-and-roll with Young. Atlanta has all of its future first-round draft picks as well as a first-rounder from the Nets, plus enough expiring contracts to match his salary in a trade.

But trading for Drummond would be a course correction for Schlenk. What is the point of Collins on a team that has Drummond? Collins has improved enough as a shooter to make a pairing possible, but it’s hard to imagine him becoming the best version of himself as a stretch 4. They are both rim-running big men who would get in each other’s way, and Drummond might not even be a defensive upgrade at center. While he has an elite combination of size and athleticism, he has never been able to make a difference on that end of the floor. The Pistons have always been better defensively without him.

Schlenk has the flexibility to do almost anything in free agency and on the trade market. The Hawks have the cleanest cap sheet in the league, with only $33.4 million in salaries for next season. The only players under contract for 2021 are on rookie deals, although Collins is up for an extension.

What Schlenk has done in Atlanta is a natural reaction to what happened in Philadelphia. The 76ers are now one of the most talented teams in the league, but they seem to have hit a ceiling because their best players don’t fit well together. The Hawks, for all their flaws, will never have that problem. Schlenk’s twist on the Process may not work. But it’s too early to give up on it.

• Like 4

• Moderators

I guess that's kind of the case but pretty much we've taken best player available.  We got Trae and then drafted three wings that have their differences but not huge differences.  Bruno seems very similar to Collins.  So I'm not sure i'm buying that this process is that heavily considering how the draft picks complement each other.  At least so far.

On 1/14/2020 at 1:04 PM, AHF said:

Pistons have always been better without Drummond!  And, we want him in Atlanta for huge $$$$?

:sarcastic_hand:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

I guess that's kind of the case but pretty much we've taken best player available.  We got Trae and then drafted three wings that have their differences but not huge differences.  Bruno seems very similar to Collins.  So I'm not sure i'm buying that this process is that heavily considering how the draft picks compliment each other.  At least so far.

I agree. He took Collins way back when, then drafted two shooters in Trae and Huerter. Then drafted two more in Hunter and Reddish. I don't think its so much a difference in philosophy as its is the BPA difference that Schlenk sees. If Schlenk was chasing fit, a trade down from 10 and a Center would have made a lot more 1st round sense last season.

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I guess that's kind of the case but pretty much we've taken best player available.  We got Trae and then drafted three wings that have their differences but not huge differences.  Bruno seems very similar to Collins.  So I'm not sure i'm buying that this process is that heavily considering how the draft picks compliment each other.  At least so far.

3 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I agree. He took Collins way back when, then drafted two shooters in Trae and Huerter. Then drafted two more in Hunter and Reddish. I don't think its so much a difference in philosophy as its is the BPA difference that Schlenk sees. If Schlenk was chasing fit, a trade down from 10 and a Center would have made a lot more 1st round sense last season.

I think there's a difference in selecting BPA high in the draft vs selecting lower.

Collins fell in the draft so he was an easy get considering we were still a playoff team.

We needed shooters - Trae and Huerter

We needed size and defense on the wings - Hunter and Reddish. 

Our wing players are all versatile in their own ways.

He can't fill all holes in one draft, next up - Addressing the Center position.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I think there's a difference in selecting BPA high in the draft vs selecting lower.

Collins fell in the draft so he was an easy get considering we were still a playoff team.

We needed shooters - Trae and Huerter

We needed size and defense on the wings - Hunter and Reddish. 

Our wing players are all versatile in their own ways.

He can't fill all holes in one draft, next up - Addressing the Center position.

I understand that. I am just saying it does nor appear to me that Schlenk is not following a BPA approach which is what one of the articles is suggesting. Taking Hunter and Reddish while you already have Huerter, suggest to me Reddish was his BPA at that spot in the draft by quite a bit.

Edited by Buzzard

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I understand that. I am just saying it does nor appear to me that Schlenk is not following a BPA approach which is what one of the articles is suggesting. Taking Hunter and Reddish while you already have Huerter, suggest to me Reddish was his BPA at that spot by quite a bit.

Schlenk has actually said he's a BPA selector.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Buzzard said:

I understand that. I am just saying it does nor appear to me that Schlenk is not following a BPA approach which is what one of the articles is suggesting. Taking Hunter and Reddish while you already have Huerter, suggest to me Reddish was his BPA at that spot by quite a bit.

BPA is matter of opinion. People talk about as if there is some kind of consensus. 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Honestly, the draft is a crapshoot. No one really knows who's the BPA. It's really mostly luck.

Each GM has a list ranking their BPA, and it all varies depending on specific team needs or what their 'gut' tells them. 

Evaluations are important - Where one player may have a bad individual workout but tape says another GMs have to pick thru all that and make a best case guess, unless it's LBJ.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

BPA is matter of opinion. People talk about as if there is some kind of consensus. 

I don't think that's what BPA is.  It's not consensus BPA.  It's make a list of of who the organization thinks the best players are 1-20 and when your pick comes take the highest one even if it means you draft two centers. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

I don't think that's what BPA is.  It's not consensus BPA.  It's make a list of of who the organization thinks the best players are 1-20 and when your pick comes take the highest one even if it means you draft two centers. 

Yea, every team weighs BPA vs. fit when they draft, regardless of what they say.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

I don't think you understand what I am saying at all. One of the articles was talking about how the 76ers did not care about fit in their process. Example, They took two similar bigs in Noel and Embiid. They took two non shooting PGs in Simmons and Fultz.  Then they suggest that Schlenk chases BPA but he also chases fit equally.

All I inferred was that Schlenk must have rated Reddish way over players like Bitadze and Clarke; since a big was also a need/fit. I drew my own conclusion. I think Schlenk chases BPA more than fit in the draft and then looks to fill in the pieces via trades and signings. That's all folks.

Edited by Buzzard

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I don't think you understand what I am saying at all. One of the articles was talking about how the 76ers did not care about fit in their process. Example, They took two similar bigs in Noel and Embiid. They took two non shooting PGs in Simmons and Fultz.  Then they suggest that Schlenk chases BPA but he also chases fit equally.

All I inferred was that Schlenk must have rated Reddish way over players like Bitadze and Clarke; since a big was also a need/fit. I drew my own conclusion. I think Schlenk chases BPA more than fit in the draft and then looks to fill in the pieces via trades and signings. That's all folks.

Hunter is the selection for me that screamed "fit" because I don't think the upside of whoever would have been available at 8 was markedly different (like Hayes vs Hunter seems pretty comparable) but we wanted both the upside and the right fit for TS's vision (Hayes doesn't seem like a PDS guy).  Cam seemed a definite BPA gamble.

I agree they are reading some into who we  have taken and how they work together to reverse engineer his drafting approach.  Like they might not have been saying the same things about Hinkie if Fultz would have shot like he did in college.