• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Half the season behind us, what FA targets are you most hoping on Schlenk's radar?

sturt

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, AHF said:

If TS believes in Ingram, I’m on board with us going after him hard.  He has shown a lot of growth over the last year and is an exciting young player.

giphy.gif

... but you know dem are fightin words.... dont come cryin to me when you get the same moanin and grumblin that I've gotten. 😄 

7 minutes ago, AHF said:

I just very strongly disagreed with the suggestion that Collins and Ingram are meaningfully different as prospects (fit is where they differ (while I am firmly of the belief that Trae is higher impact than either of them.

Got that. And already commented, so lest Spud drive by and throw soft serve at me again, I'll hush now. 😄

2 hours ago, sturt said:

I didn't say that's not what you meant.

You get that, right? Because I didn't.

What I said was that that's not what was understood.

And that that's not a strange thing for me to say, given that (a) indeed Ingram was never mentioned, and maybe more importantly, (b) the context of saying "anything is possible" was not about anyone's talent level and not whether anyone would be pursued, but whether Schlenk would be successful if he tried to pursue them.

Me, too, and I would add, I don't think there's much difference between what you think he'll do and what I think he'll do, and also not much difference between how successful you think he'll be in pursuing what he pursues and what I do.

The only real difference is that one of us believes a 22 year-old who just made his first ASG and will be an RFA is plausibly (10% by my latest estimate, down from 30% when I was still misunderstanding the room NYK likely will have) someone that Schlenk will pursue.

Whereas, if I understand correctly, you don't think he'll even bother to make a phone call because you don't think he considers that player to be someone who either would be good enough now (really? he's not at least as good as Collins?), or whose 2019-20 trajectory is sustainable (that's your best argument against, imo), or whose acquisition would serve to create depth (really? when you add a starter, you do not inherently create depth when someone who would start goes to the second unit?), or whose acquisition would be consistent with these most recent comments of Schlenk's saying he will not hesitate to create competition at some position(s) (and if that's not SG or SF, then where is it?).

All of that accurate?

I'm content that you're wrong, but that I could be, and for the 723rd time, it all comes down to how Schlenk values Ingram.

Indeed, he won't make a phone call if he believes there are basic flaws in Ingram's psyche/personality or his talent/skills that make his 2019-20 trajectory/performance an outlier... fool's gold as it were.

Which, in the end, leads right back to agreement once again... your words here, same as mine...

tenor.gif

Schlenk calling Ingram may be a possibility but I really don't think Ingram is a player that is in Schlenks wheelhouse. I think this is to soon for him to go all in on a first year All Star with this team; considering the teams experience and performance.

The thing about All Stars is they are not always a good fit and some of them, though great scorers, are to much of a detriment to team ball. See Melo as the classic example of what I am talking about. Another younger player that comes to mind is Wiggins. He did not make a All-Star team but he had one hell of a contract year before he signed his first big pay day.

I think Schlenk wants to see more from this team. A lot more and providing a little depth will allow the young players ample time and minutes. Unless he hits on AD, I don't see a max player in our future this year, To soon and too risky. In other words, even if Schlenk calls Ingram, it won't be to offer him a max.

If I am wrong, just like @AHFalso said I will be fully on board in support of Ingram and our team.

Edited by Buzzard

1 hour ago, sturt said:

hehe... yes, I'm an ahole, but you love me anyway, admit it, @Spud2nique...

Spud posts = giphy.gif

Drive-by. And. Soft-serve. 😄

You know I’ll buy the truck. Love me some soft serve 🍦!!! Good lookin out Sturt, love you by the window! Stay there it’s a good spot for ya.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

That's very interesting, regarding 'back chanelling'

They might have to get burner phones.

Regarding opt ins - that is true. I think most will now, especially guys like Otto Porter, Drummond etc. Those with high salay figures. I think teams with capspace this off season will be a little more judicious with their spending in anticipation of next seasons salary cap uncertainty. Which may likely drop. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Giannis signs his super max extention as well.

And Hayward...

• Like 2

Davis Bertans 4 years 16-18 Million
85.2 FT%, 42.4 3P%
Jerami Grant 4 years 10-14 Million
74.4 FT%, 40.0 3P%
Jeff Teague 3 years 8-9 Million
87.3 FT%, 36.8 3P%

And:
Tyrese Haliburton Draft Pick
82.2 FT%, 41.9 3P%

With Dedmon, Fernando, Skal ( on the cheap ), and either Huerter or Reddish in this bench rotation, I don't know how much more quality and shooting depth LP could ask for. The other beauty is none of these contracts look like an albatross. Adding Team Options on the final seasons would make them look even better.

I am just not sold on Schlenk thinking we have a good opportunity in 2021 to sign a big name player for the reason I have already given. A borderline 8th seed or 8th seed in the East is not a very attractive landing spot for the big names who will be available then.

Edited by Buzzard

2  more under the radar signings to fill out our bench.

Rondae Hollis Jefferson- Always been a defensive guy but his offense and overall game growing.

Pat Connaughton- Solid all around player who plays a team game. Wouldn’t mind him growing on our pine 🌲.

• Like 2

I would hate to trade Collins but in the event that we do, we better get a haul back for him. He’s a great fit with Trae but if there’s someone out there that’s a better fit (Harrell) I’m just saying if we sign Trez and flip JC, we need to get a good return.

Good players have been traded in the past. The Pistons traded Adrian Dantley for Mark Aguirre in 88, the Bulls traded Charles Oakley around the same time as well. 

One scenario would be:

Hawks sign Harrell.

Then trade:

ATL receives: Devin Booker + Ty Jerome

Suns receive: John Collins + Clint Capela+ Dedmon

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y7k7wdex

Draft: Wiseman/Okongwu/Toppin 

PG- Trae/Jerome

SG- Booker/Huerter

SF- Cam/Hunter

PF- Trez/Free agent

C- Free agent/ Wiseman or Okongwu or Toppin

Thoughts?

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I would hate to trade Collins but in the event that we do, we better get a haul back for him. He’s a great fit with Trae but if there’s someone out there that’s a better fit (Harrell) I’m just saying if we sign Trez and flip JC, we need to get a good return.

Good players have been traded in the past. The Pistons traded Adrian Dantley for Mark Aguirre in 88, the Bulls traded Charles Oakley around the same time as well. 

One scenario would be:

Hawks sign Harrell.

Then trade:

ATL receives: Devin Booker + Ty Jerome

Suns receive: John Collins + Clint Capela+ Dedmon

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y7k7wdex

Draft: Wiseman/Okongwu/Toppin 

PG- Trae/Jerome

SG- Booker/Huerter

SF- Cam/Hunter

PF- Trez/Free agent

C- Free agent/ Wiseman or Okongwu or Toppin

Thoughts?

3 times Spud, really.:laugh:

Again.....EZ Pass. 

1. You aren't getting Booker and we still have our #1 pick, so no Wiseman

2. I'd rather pay JC than pay Harell in FAcy to start.

3. Now we have an enormous whole at Center with both Capela and Dedmon traded.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member

For this exercise, we are going to look at only restricted and unrestricted free agents who are younger than 27 years old because Schlenk said he would prefer to add players who are in their mid-20s (and younger). So, that doesn’t include Brooklyn’s Joe Harris (28 years old), a fan favorite for those closely following the Hawks’ free-agency pursuits, Washington’s Davis Bertans (27) and Sacramento’s Bogdan Bogdanovic (27). All three of those players would fit in with the Hawks’ needs, but we’ll get to those players in a future story previewing the rest of the team’s free-agency strategy.

Brandon Ingram Age: 23/Contract status: Restricted free agent

The Hawks need to trade for or develop a second star to pair with Trae Young in order to reach their maximum potential. John Collins ultimately could end up being that player if he reaches his ceiling if the Hawks want to believe in their player development culture.

They also could throw max money at Ingram this offseason and make the Pelicans match any offer. There’s no harm in giving Ingram an offer sheet and making the Pelicans put their money where their mouth is. The Pelicans likely will match, but if they don’t, the Hawks would have a clear No. 2 option on their roster.

I can’t foresee any situation where New Orleans doesn’t match because its lineup of Lonzo Ball, Jrue Holiday, Ingram, Zion Williamson and Derrick Favors was an insane net positive of 26.3 points in 511 possessions together. 

Fred VanVleet Age: 26, Contract status: Unrestricted free agent

VanVleet is possibly the unrestricted free agent who will get the most money on the open market. Toronto likely has a price that it won’t want to match in order to keep VanVleet on its roster, and, of course, the Hawks have the money to spend.

We’ve mentioned it countless times how the Hawks need a secondary playmaker to pair with Young. VanVleet can provide that. He’s also a good defender to play next to Young in the starting rotation, if the Hawks decided to pair the two. The Hawks have stated they would like more off-ball looks for Young, as he’s one of the league’s best catch-and-shoot marksmen. VanVleet is also, obviously, good enough to carry the Hawks when Young rests, which, as we know, has been problematic for the Hawks.

Christian Wood  Age: 25, Contract status: Unrestricted free agent

Let me be clear, I think Detroit is likely going to do whatever it takes to re-sign Wood. 

For the Hawks, obviously they have a starting power forward in Collins, but Wood would fit with any of the big men on the roster. Lineup combinations with Clint Capela and Wood, Wood and Collins, Wood and Dewayne Dedmon would all be fine fits.

Backup power forward is a position the Hawks will have to address unless they decide De’Andre Hunter is better suited at the four than he is the three. If the Hawks go that route, that could allow for Cam Reddish to move to the three and Kevin Huerter or whomever the Hawks end up signing/trading for this offseason to start at shooting guard.

If Wood is set on being a starter, he probably wouldn’t come to Atlanta.

Jerami Grant  Age: 26, Contract status: Unrestricted free agent

It’s expected that Grant will decline his $9.3 million player option with Denver and test free agency unless the two sides agree to an extension prior to his opt-out date.

Grant would give the Hawks a very good two-way player on the wing, which they need more of. He shot 40 percent from 3 this season and is one of the league’s best wing defenders.

Kris Dunn Age: 26, Contract status: Restricted free agent

Backup point guard is once again a position that the Hawks will have to address this offseason. Jeff Teague is a free agent, and it’s unclear if the Hawks are going to want to re-sign him.

Chicago is expected to offer Dunn his $4.6 million qualifying offer to retain his restricted rights this offseason. Dunn is one of the best defenders at point guard, and having a defensive-minded guard backing up Young isn’t a bad situation even if he doesn’t offer much offensively. 

• Like 1

Ps Bird you just turned out @sturt Few if his guys on the list. 

Honestly I kind of hate him as a player but Kris Dunn would be the perfect Ying to Trae’s Yang. You throw offense then compliment with crazy defense. I’m kinda down for this. Imagine a lineup of:

Dunn/Cam/Hunter/Capela= 😬 D central right there!

Conversely, I like FVV a lot too. Basically sign me up for getting a good quality backup point guard to spell Trae or work with him in some looks. FVV and Trae in a small guard lineup is sick..just for few minute stretches so it doesn’t anger capstone. 😂 

Edited by Spud2nique

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

It’s expected that Grant will decline his $9.3 million player option

I find that very very very very hard to believe. And I added a very because of covid... it was already very very very.

And.

Credit Kirschner that he's saying right up front that he's not writing from any insider insight, but just like any of us trying to assess the options.