• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Dragan Bender on the open market (again)... shall we pounce?

sturt

• Premium Member

I'm not trying to persuade you one way or the other. I answered your original question, I'll answer again...still No to Bender.

Here's a comparison of their NBA careers this far.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=1&player_id1_hint=Treveon+Graham&player_id1_select=Treveon+Graham&player_id1=grahatr01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Dragan+Bender&player_id2_select=Dragan+Bender&player_id2=bendedr01&idx=players

Nothing outstanding from either player, but when you consider one was drafted #4 while the other undrafted - still a No.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Your assertion is that "anyone" is preferable to either of the two players.

That's not even a real argument.

I'm merely attempting to get you to make one... for anyone... ie, that anyone is a better option.

More likely, this is just the same chain-yanking that your friend Eeyore indulges in just to get reactions. But I try to assume the best in people.

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, High5 said:

Did you skip over the first reply? Graham is a healthy wing which is something we’re dangerously low on. We also just acquired a young 4 that has shown as much or more in the NBA. Those are pretty good reasons not to bother with him.

No, I noted that reply, and since then I've went back and made sure that people don't assume that a 7-0 guy is a 4 or a 5.

He's a healthy wing who happens to be really tall.

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I'm not trying to persuade you one way or the other. I answered your original question, I'll answer again...still No to Bender.

Here's a comparison of their NBA careers this far.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=1&player_id1_hint=Treveon+Graham&player_id1_select=Treveon+Graham&player_id1=grahatr01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Dragan+Bender&player_id2_select=Dragan+Bender&player_id2=bendedr01&idx=players

Nothing outstanding from either player, but when you consider one was drafted #4 while the other undrafted - still a No.

Rather just have Graham. per 100 possessions better ratings on offense and defense.  Statistically a wash in most categories.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, sturt said:

No, I noted that reply, and since then I've went back and made sure that people don't assume that a 7-0 guy is a 4 or a 5.

He's a healthy wing who happens to be really tall.

He’s not exactly good anywhere, but if he ever catches on it won’t be as a 3.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, turnermx said:

Rather just have Graham. per 100 possessions better ratings on offense and defense.  Statistically a wash in most categories.

Pardon the observation but there's not really anything to compare... one is 22, the other is 26... one would just be getting out of college, the other would be beyond the 25 year-old developmental ceiling that many embrace as a conventional thing... one has spent some time in the NBA this season, the other not really any.

Perhaps if we were staring at a playoff run in front of us, we would be like MIL, and smarter to use the 15th roster slot for someone who might plausibly help us win some games. That's just not the case, though.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, High5 said:

He’s not exactly good anywhere, but if he ever catches on it won’t be as a 3.

I'll grant you that it's likely that he'll continue to grow and get more bulk, and will end up as a stretch 4 some day. But right now, he's still that combo 3/4 like the guy who's just replaced him in MIL.

2 hours ago, sturt said:

We can make the case all day for why practically any 14th, 15th or 2-way player shouldn't be on any team's roster--that's kinda inherent with that status. There are holes in their game. They haven't yet measured up, or they're over the hill.

Waiting... still... for someone to make the case why Graham is preferable.

Speaking to no one in particular, I don't think you can.

More curiouser, based on the speciousness of the reasons given for protest, I'm not thinking it's even been attempted.

Did you watch the game on Friday night?  I know you can't base a player's worth on one game, but I was impressed.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turnermx said:

Defensively he has helped already, not saying he is a long term stalwart but he is certainly sound on that one skill set. Beggars maybe should not always be choosers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, sturt said:

Perhaps if we were staring at a playoff run in front of us, we would be like MIL, and smarter to use the 15th roster slot for someone who might plausibly help us win some games. That's just not the case, though.

We're still a development-focused team. That's what Schlenk said.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Thomas said:

Defensively he has helped already, not saying he is a long term stalwart but he is certainly sound on that one skill set. Beggars maybe should not always be choosers.

I was torn between Thanking and Laughing in reaction to that post lol .. I don't think Skal is a replacement for Graham as I've seen suggested - the Hawks need a player at each of SG/SF and PF to back up those positions or even start (in the case of one of SG/SF) while Hunter and Cam develop

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, turnermx said:

I was torn between Thanking and Laughing in reaction to that post lol .. I don't think Skal is a replacement for Graham as I've seen suggested - the Hawks need a player at each of SG/SF and PF to back up those positions or even start (in the case of one of SG/SF) while Hunter and Cam develop

Yeah, with a healthy squad neither Skal or Grahamn get more than five minutes a game but liked that Graham is active and knew how to use his size on D last game. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KB21 said:

If this kid cannot realize his potential being coached by Mike Budenholzer, then there is very little hope for him.

Or maybe that big man rotation is just too good for him or most to crack into 🤷🏾‍♂️

Edited by JTB
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, JTB said:

Or maybe that big man rotation is just too good for him or most to crack into 🤷🏾‍♂️

Schlenk did mention looking for young guys not getting minutes due to being buried on deep rosters

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
20 hours ago, Thomas said:

Yeah, with a healthy squad neither Skal or Grahamn get more than five minutes a game but liked that Graham is active and knew how to use his size on D last game. 

Skal got a lot more than that for the Trailblazers this season and was a positive WAR guy.  I wouldn’t lump them together.  If healthy, Skal is a guy who is in a rotation for almost any team in the league.  He shouldn’t be starting anywhere but he is a rotation piece as a productive, mobile big man with some range who needs to improve his strength and BBIQ.

Hope Skal is able to come back healthy and give minutes at some point. LP loves a stretch big don't we know. In reference to the Graham comment though I would rather keep him and let Bembry just sail away.

• Premium Member
37 minutes ago, Thomas said:

In reference to the Graham comment though I would rather keep him and let Bembry just sail away.

I'm seriously, seriously missing something. I never anticipated even this much man-love for Graham. As far as I've seen, as much as I've read, I'm amazed that he wasn't let go already. But perhaps, sincerely, I'm seriously missing something.

On 2/9/2020 at 8:05 AM, LamarHampton said:

For starters his name is cool AF.

Can you imagine every time he was about to come into the game Ryan Cameron saying in a his deep booming voice, "Release the Dragan!" and then playing music from the Mortal Kombat movie. 

Would be epic. 

When he hits a shot "Dracarus"

• Like 1