Steve Koonin Proposes New NBA Season Schedule

RedDawg#8

• Premium Member

“It’s because at the beginning of the season, there’s very little relevance for the NBA. The relevance is now. That’s when people are talking about it” he said.

I for one mainly agree with the premise, but not entirely... and I definitely do not agree with the conclusion/solution.

Yes, people are much more aware of the start of baseball season than they are the NBA season; and so much more, then, the NFL over the start of the NBA season.

And yes, that does indeed suggest there is some reason to consider some changes.

New relevance would help, but then again, who really is watching the first week of baseball or football season because they're thinking those early games are critical, ie, of some significant relevance that people would be talking about it?

The NBA's problem is bigger because the number of teams who conceivably might challenge for the championship is considerably smaller from day one of the season.

The starting point for making the NBA more talked about, more relevant, more appealing such that people actually care about it from the very beginning of the season is to change some tectonics that make more cities' teams more plausibly competitive for the championship every single year.

Playing with the calendar might even backfire... the NFL is all the more intensely popular in those weeks leading up to the playoffs.

But regardless, it's the wrong lever to be fooling with.

Give more fans more reason to more seriously conceive that their favorite team has an NFL-franchise-like chance from year to year to make it to the big game. That is the right lever.

• Like 1

I forgot all about baseball. It seems like the NBA season would encompass almost the entirety of the MLB season at that point.

What I like about the sports schedule now is that there is a natural transition between all sports. The week after the Super Bowl, all attention turns to the NBA and the All Star game and the road to the playoffs. By the time Baseball really kicks off, you're in the thick of the playoffs, but if your team is out of it you are watching baseball.(maybe). And by the time the Finals are over, its the NBA draft, then the MLB all star game then a little bit of a lull before the NFL pre season, then rinse and repeat

Starting in December would fill the void during the obscure College Bowl season, move the Allstar game back to April, around the time of the Master's and the NCAA Tournament,

The Finals would be during the football preseason, I mean I guess it could work, Idk.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, capstone21 said:

Golf switched their schedule and moved majors around so they were not competing with Football either

They mentioned that, its crazy how much football dominates in this country. However I think the NBA can take over a more global market. Futbol is their real competition in that regard