Fare thee well Vince!! It's now Official - Vince Retires!

JayBirdHawk

Maybe getting jipped on his last season Vince will still have an itch to be around the court instead of broadcasting right away. The voice on air career can start anytime so hope he gives some consideration to helping out as part of our staff. He may have already cemented a contract in broadcasting but am hoping not just yet. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Thomas said:

Maybe getting jipped on his last season Vince will still have an itch to be around the court instead of broadcasting right away. The voice on air career can start anytime so hope he gives some consideration to helping out as part of our staff. He may have already cemented a contract in broadcasting but am hoping not just yet. 

Seems possible but I don't think the early end to the season would be the trigger.  Either he'll want to coach or not.  You could definitely do much worse than having his voice in your locker room.  (Especially where there is no path to him starting at PF for you.)

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Hopefully the NBA does something special for him!!!i

They should invite him to the Inaugural 'bubble game tip off'...have all players from all teams in the stands...and send him off!

It’s so fitting that his career defensive box is a perfect 0: never really helped, never really hurt.  With a 94.5% chance at the Hall per the Ref I don’t wanna hear sh!t about “he only had one deep playoff run.”  His legendary hops, inspiration for Canadian Basketball, and unmatched  longevity make him an NBA institution. Salute OG Triple OG.

• Like 4

Since Vince is retiring, that leaves his spot open for our draft pick.  Wonder who else will be moved to make room for someone else?  For every free agent signed, someone must go.  Trading 2 for 1 opens up a spot.

Hawks have already added 2 new players last season that we've never saw play for Atlanta.  We already know that, if and when we ever start play again, we will be a different team.

:smug:

• Moderators

I was never the biggest Vince fan before he joined the Hawks.  Thought of him like a non-offensive Paul Pierce who gave us some amazing dunks.  But he has been such a class act here that it puts his whole career in a better frame for me.  Doesn't change his place as a player but improves my perception of his overall impact on the game as an example to his peers and an ambassador to the fans.

Wish him the very best in retirement and I have little doubt he will have opportunities to continue working with the NBA should he choose to do so (in front office, coaching, or other roles).  I do also have to call out the great "Half Man, Half Amazing" nickname which was just fantastic.  

Tip of the cap to you Mr. Carter!

• Like 4