• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Offseason Officially Starts!

JayBirdHawk

51 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

It's unlikely he's growing. He has a full grown man physique. Contrary to popular belief, the majority (not all of course) of boys finish growing by age 16. But he can definitely get hella swole if he wants to. Sometimes getting real buff is not good for basketball players though.

Cam literally just grew last summer. LeBron grew from 6'7 without shoes in HS to 6'8.5 without shoes now. These guys are always growing regardless of frame. That's what happens when you are 18-21. Who cares about the majority, these are NBA players. Nothing about them is of the norm. Their wingspans are abnormal to the majority. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

Cam literally just grew last summer. LeBron grew from 6'7 without shoes in HS to 6'8.5 without shoes now. These guys are always growing regardless of frame. That's what happens when you are 18-21. Who cares about the majority, these are NBA players. Nothing about them is of the norm. Their wingspans are abnormal to the majority. 

If a study was done you would find not that many NBA players are still growing taller at that age. There are exceptions of course, Scottie Pippen grew 7 inches his freshman year in college. But Ant Man looks like he likely has his full grown man body. 

4 hours ago, AHF said:

For the Jazz, I'm just glad they got the #3 pick in 1982.  (And that they traded it.)

Yes sir! The human highlight film 🎞 brought me the love for the game. 

Wow Lanier was the first pick overall! I forgot about that and also Walker, both a bit before my time but I will say I remember an old Lanier and one of the aforementioned Nique’s best dunks came at the expense of Bob Lanier in the form of a sideways torque Nique flush.

The Jazz did get another, or actually trade to move up to choose another 3rd pick and that was one of the Hawks targets in Deron in 2005. Other than that though, I can’t remember them ever having many lottery picks due to the Stockton/Malone/Sloan era and the amazing consistency they displayed. 

• Like 4

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, NBASupes said:

This was a fun topic...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just throwing it in there that David Robinson was 6'5" and a waif in muscle when he hit Navy. Cats can grow and build muscle and power pretty easily when 18 to 20 years old. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Just throwing it in there that David Robinson was 6'5" and a waif in muscle when he hit Navy. Cats can grow and build muscle and power pretty easily when 18 to 20 years old. 

Wow 6’5”? I didn’t know he had a growth spurt that huge. Good stuff on the admiral!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, AHF said:

Robinson was 6'6'' his senior year in HS, the maximum height allowable for cadets at the Navy academy.  He grew another inch before the start of his freshman year and had to get a waiver since he was 1'' over the limit.  Kept on growing until he eventually became a 7-footer.  As a result of his continued growth, he was limited in the rank he could achieve in the Navy and not allowed to serve on a ship; moreover, he was at risk of growing tall enough to be disqualified outright.  

Given the great publicity and changed circumstances, he was given a special waiver and allowed to serve 2 years instead of a normal 5 year commitment.  During that 2 years, he was allowed to keep playing in international play as the Navy wanted him on the Olympic team.  

He was like Captain America as far as being the Navy poster boy.

It's really a remarkable story.  Can you imagine if the #1 pick had to serve 2 years on the military in today's time?

Perhaps the most remarkable part is his teammate at Navy who went on to coach a college in perhaps the most fertile hs bball recruiting ground but was unable to do a gard dang thing with it.

But ... I'm not bitter.  I'm totally over it.

7844598.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, kg01 said:

Perhaps the most remarkable part is his teammate at Navy who went on to coach a college in perhaps the most fertile hs bball recruiting ground but was unable to do a gard dang thing with it.

But ... I'm not bitter.  I'm totally over it.

Is this you? 🤨 

Sorry I remembered the teenage height wrong on Robinson. My memory is questionable pretty often I guess. His growth spurt was just so extreme but does show players can grow and pack it on as well in their late teens, just not likely to be like David's spurt. Wiki stated David was 5'9" entering his junior season in high school and left high school at 6'6". Ended up a HOF center of the NBA, quite the story there.

Robinson was of average height for most of his childhood and teenage years, and stood only 5 ft 9 in (1.75 m) tall in his junior year of high school (age 16–17). But during his senior year he experienced a large growth spurt and grew to 6 ft 6 in (1.98 m). He had not played organized basketball or attended any basketball camps,[4] but the school's basketball coach added him to the team, and Robinson earned all-area and all-district honors but generated little interest among college basketball coaches.

• Like 1

• Moderators
41 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Sorry I remembered the teenage height wrong on Robinson. My memory is questionable pretty often I guess. His growth spurt was just so extreme but does show players can grow and pack in on as well in their late teens, just not likely to be like David's spurt. Wiki stated David was 5'9" entering his junior season in high school and left high school at 6'6". Ended up a HOF center of the NBA, quite the story there.

Robinson was of average height for most of his childhood and teenage years, and stood only 5 ft 9 in (1.75 m) tall in his junior year of high school (age 16–17). But during his senior year he experienced a large growth spurt and grew to 6 ft 6 in (1.98 m). He had not played organized basketball or attended any basketball camps,[4] but the school's basketball coach added him to the team, and Robinson earned all-area and all-district honors but generated little interest among college basketball coaches.

No apology needed.  Robinson is a fascinating story and a total standup guy.  Was a hell of a good player too.  He would be amazing in this era with his mobility and body control.

• Like 4