• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Offseason Officially Starts!

JayBirdHawk

14 hours ago, Vol4ever said:

It definitely is crucial.  On the FA front there is not much available to the Hawks in the star arena but a few FA journeyman out there.  The draft will be interesting.  I'm just hoping Capella is healthy to start the season.  

I don't think there is a lot available on the trade front right now. Maybe a small market team like the Timberwolves starts feeling the financial burden more, but I am not holding my breath.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I don't think there is a lot available on the trade front right now. Maybe a small market team like the Timberwolves starts feeling the financial burden more, but I am not holding my breath.

I think it all comes down to what the Cap and more importantly the Luxury Tax threshold will be in determining if teams will trade off players under contract strictly due to financial considerations.

• Like 4

Just now, AHF said:

Absent some major move this summer, I think that starting lineup has to be:

Trae

Cam

Hunter

JC

Capela

Very excited to see them play together.

That is what I am expecting and like the defensive implications of Cam, Hunter and Clint out there at the same time.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

I mentioned teams getting together for joint practises/scrimmages.

Most of the eight teams whose seasons have ended -- including Atlanta, Charlotte, Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, Minnesota and New York -- are pushing to engage in joint practices as ramp-ups for regional summer leagues in August, sources said. For example, the Pistons and Cavaliers have discussed the possibility of joint practices as a prelude to a mini-pod of games, sources said.

Among the front-office ideas presented to the NBA, sources said:

A combination of voluntary and mandatory workouts for two weeks in July.

Regional minicamps in August that include joint practices for a period of days and approximately three televised games.

Organized team activities (OTAs) for mid-September.

Teams want an opportunity for training camps to start seven to 10 days earlier for the 2020-21 season for those teams left out of Orlando.

The Orlando non-participants are pushing the NBA for televised coverage of the proposed mini-summer-league event

• Like 2

The Hawks will have a lot of money to spend and all should go to amassing the best bench in the NBA. 

The draft should land us a player who can play a key role off the bench.

Atlanta needs to decide, is it best to wait this John thing out till next offseason where we have less options but we at least know what we got and need a lot more than right now or do we flip him for a top 5 pick to GS and draft another key young role player with a controllable contract and go all in on signing a PF in free agency.

Asumming John is traded, if we draft Toppin or Okongwu, do you look at just signing Paul Millsap or Marcus Morris who can start immediately with plus impact. Especially Sap who has plus plus impact. 

What happens if Atlanta gets the #1 pick, is it Edwards or bust. I think it is. Obviously, you should consider others including my tier 3.5 guys like Ball and Toppin as well as others but ability to add another wing like Edwards, especially an extremely talented scoring one which we lack off the bench if Cam is moved to the starters could help us a ton. 

Atlanta has options but the goal is to really shore up that bench. We literally got just 7 players. Trae, Cam, Hunter, Collins, Capela, Huerter, Dedmon. Two potential Gleague guys who could be contributing players in 2021-22 in Bruno and Goodwin.

We got 6 spots. We need to add the best players possible for our system and style of personnel for those six spots in free agency. 

That should change everything for us.

We need depth, a lot of depth, this draft and free agency class are critical. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Ayiyi ...

Effectively trading John for Toppin would be such a Sacramento/Knick/Suns move.

Or Magic/Penny, Or Bulls/Pippen move if it's a Suns move Suns/Nash

Edited by NBASupes

Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

Staaaaap!

No.

That's a damn good deal. I guess you think much higher of John than I do and that's why you are hell hath fire over this. If we can get Anthony and Toppin and sign Sap, that's an amazing big moves offseason. We just need to no one cares outside of Atlanta moves to be really good.

You really f***ing love John. I like him, to a point. Hell, I loved Joe to a point. When we overpaid for him, I was furious and I loved him. The only player I was ever pissed we didn't pay the max to was Horford but many including you didn't want him at that price no matter what. I did. So we see shit differently. That's fine but I see the shit I see as the shit I see. You do as well for you. That's cool but let's not knock each other for it. 

For me, Collins overpay would be worse than Wiggins. For you, you think he deserves a lot and what's wrong with the max. I don't see him as impactful, just a stat guy on a bad team who's impact is best in a grouping than as a best player or best of players. He needs to be someone 3rd or 4th best player no matter what. That's not a max cat in ANY WAY if his defense is just below average at best and he can't defend outside of the paint well. 

For you, you see the stats, the age, and you see where he started. You just see things completely sunny and you assume the rest will come. That's fine if that's your take but its not mines at all. 

We see this differently. Even Toppin we see differently. I see an potential offensive monster at the 4. I don't know what you see but it's not what I see. I see Sap as an impact player for 24 mpg. I don't know what you see but that's what I see

15 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Toppin isn't a can't-miss guy.  Not even close.

And, no, I'm not Collins' #1 fan - preemptive strike

Yes he is. He might not be a generational guy or even a clear #1 pick type of guy but he's damn sure a can't miss on offense. His offense is just too f***ing good and improvement trend speaks volumes. He's as much of a can't miss as Steph Curry was on that end for his position. 

Edited by NBASupes