• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Transplants to Atlanta. The Vince Carter Question....

Diesel

• Premium Member

This past Sunday, I watched Tony Gonzalas... he spoke of getting his HOF honors from both the Falcons and the Chiefs. 

Deion Sanders also was listed as a HOF honoree for the Falcons and the Cowboys.

When it comes to Vince Carter.   He will be a Hall of Famer one day.  Should the Hawks recognize Carter and honor him as one of our HOFers??

Before you answer...

We have also honored Dikembe Mutombo, Moses Malone, and Pistol Pete.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

Deke, Moses and Pete were all All-Stars for the Hawks.  Generally, I'd say "no" unless Vince wants us to do so and wants to keep being associated with the team.  His years in Atlanta are not really part of his HOF resume unlike those other players.

Yeah, Vince was the opposite of an all-start -- basically our tank commander -- shooting like 35% or something last year.  Watching him take a dribble and clank a contested 30 foot step back 3 over and over was something else.  Still love that he came here and spent time with our guys though

He's clearly a key part of our franchise even if he's not a key player in our franchise. 

Toronto doesn't have the same management, coaches, players, or ownership it had when VC started. He's so far removed from the current admin. 

While VC is a major part of our admin. We had him as a key stakeholder as a player and we are doing the same for Rondo. He's getting TV spots. The franchise loves him. While he will never get his jersey retired by us, we  see him in an extremely high regard. 

Deke was only with us for like 3-4 years but he is seen when high regard from our franchise. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

He's clearly a key part of our franchise even if he's not a key player in our franchise

Toronto doesn't have the same management, coaches, players, or ownership it had when VC started. He's so far removed from the current admin. 

While VC is a major part of our admin. We had him as a key stakeholder as a player and we are doing the same for Rondo. He's getting TV spots. The franchise loves him. While he will never get his jersey retired by us, we  see him in an extremely high regard. 

Deke was only with us for like 3-4 years but he is seen when high regard from our franchise. 

I kind of feel like someone should have been a key player while on your team at some point if you are going to credit him as one of your franchise’s HOFers.  Like Boston or San Antonio, etc. should not be claiming Nique.

(Not saying that threshold is enough but if you don’t even meet this it shouldn’t be a conversation.)

• Like 1

Vince Carter chose to come to Atlanta to close out his career.  His last two years, while he was a Hawk, was where some of his records were set.

He was a player on the floor and a coach.  A lot of his teaching was done off the court where he mentored our young Hawks in the NBA.  Yes, he was well past his all star prime, but that part of his game still shined through and we could catch a glimpse of how good he was.

Should Atlanta retire his number?  Yes!  He retired from playing in the NBA as a Hawk.  Many of the NBA teams would have welcomed him, I believe.  He chose the Hawks.  We will be getting the benefit of his being here for several more years, I believe.

:smug: