• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What is the biggest difference?

Jdawgflow

• Premium Member

I posted this in another thread but think it is worth the extra traffic for further discussion.

It is wild that just changing a coach has made this much impact.  I was asking my buddy who coaches high school the other day what % he felt was:

1. New coach

2. Health

3. Player buy in

Personally, I am having trouble deciding which one has been the biggest impact.  My buddy feels health and I feel buy in has been the biggest difference.  Neither of us feel very confident though.  🙃

• Like 1

• Premium Member

It is very typical of us all, me included of course, to want to consider one thing to be "the" thing.

But in reality, many if not most times, it's not one thing. It's a combination.

I think we have to be content with the idea that this is one of those times.

• Like 2

In game Coaching. Nothing more, nothing less. He using players correctly as well. Kevin was being misused by LP badly. He was a net negative. Less impactful for us than Cam. 

Trae been a lot better. Especially defensively under Nate. 

Cam when LP wife was giving birth and LP was gone looked night and day better due to being used correctly. 

He is just using these guys correctly. He's not trying to use them as shoot 3s or die players. He has them moving on and off the ball. The pace is a lot slower, less mistakes. Just smarter Basketball.

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 3

• Premium Member

IMO new coach and player buy in go hand in hand.  If Pierce couldn't connect with the guys and get them to buy into whatever he was selling, he's failing as a coach.  Getting engagement from the team and extracting the most out of them is one of the most important aspects of being a leader -- that goes for any profession/industry, not just sports or basketball.  Llyod didn't have it.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
33 minutes ago, Jdawgflow said:

I posted this in another thread but think it is worth the extra traffic for further discussion.

It is wild that just changing a coach has made this much impact.  I was asking my buddy who coaches high school the other day what % he felt was:

1. New coach

2. Health

3. Player buy in

Personally, I am having trouble deciding which one has been the biggest impact.  My buddy feels health and I feel buy in has been the biggest difference.  Neither of us feel very confident though.  🙃

You serious? 

• Premium Member

To no one in particular...

Objectively, we all understand that there is a level of talent quantity+quality saturation that, if reached, can be too much for the lower-third teams to deal with, even with merely adequate coaching... conceivably, even with merely one of us coaching.

Would that level have been reached with having Gallo and BogBog back?

Arguably. But hard to say.

Other side of the coin, would McM's coaching have been so good that it didn't matter having both Gallo and BogBog back?

The most likely correct answer, though, is both were necessary for the team to have achieved the winning streak that it has.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, sturt said:

Objectively, we all understand that there is a level of talent quantity+quality saturation that, if reached, can be too much for the lower-third teams to deal with, even with merely adequate coaching... conceivably, even with merely one of us coaching.

Other side of the coin, would McM's coaching have been so good that it didn't matter having both Gallo and BogBog back?

The most likely correct answer, though, is both were necessary for the team to have achieved the winning streak that it has.

Seeing that the hawks have not had this kind of winning streak under LP even at the beginning of the season when everyone was healthy.  Its an easy answer.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

About the question what Changed

I am very serious about the question and feel open discussion about this is valid.  As Sturt says above, not many things have one single cause and the factors are all valid I feel.  

Based on your posting history I can surmise that 100% for number 1 is going to be your answer.  

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Jdawgflow said:

I am very serious about the question and feel open discussion about this is valid.  As Sturt says above, not many things have one single cause and the factors are all valid I feel.  

Based on your posting history I can surmise that 100% for number 1 is going to be your answer.  

Was the team healthy at the beginning of the season?

• Like 1

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, sturt said:

Thank you for your well thought out response Sturt.  

Sturt (or anyone) interested in putting % on each option?

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Jdawgflow said:

1. New coach

2. Health

3. Player buy in

The 1st 12 games the Hawks were 5-7...Who was missing during that stretch now playing?

• Premium Member

There was always going to be 25-ish games for this or any other team with that many new players to gel.

Things are rarely so simple to tease out to just one thing.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, sturt said:

There was always going to be 25-ish games for this or any other team with that many new players to gel.

Things are rarely so simple to tease out to just one thing.

So its just coincident that Nate is 10-1 as a coach and LP is 12-19.  Got It

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

The 1st 12 games the Hawks were 5-7...Who was missing during that stretch now playing?

Capela - missed 1st 2 games

Gallo - played in 1st game, missed the next 2, injured in game #4 3 minutes in, then he was out for next 10 games

Bogi - played 1st 8 games, injured in game 9

Snell - 1st 9 games missed

Rondo - played in 4 games: 3 and 4, then 11 and 12.

• Thanks 3

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Capela - missed 1st 2 games

Gallo - played in 1st game, missed the next 2, injured in game #4 3 minutes in, then he was out for next 10 games

Bogi - played 1st 8 games, injured in game 9

Snell - 1st 9 games missed

Rondo - played in 4 games: 3 and 4, then 11 and 12.

Yup this is as close to the healthiest we've ever been... though it's worth noting Capella has missed some games and hasn't really looked good when he is out there the last couple. 

• Sad 1

• Premium Member

9 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Yup this is as close to the healthiest we've ever been... though it's worth noting Capella has missed some games and hasn't really looked good when he is out there the last couple. 

I have nightmares of Sarah Spencer injury tweets and Capela's foot is always on there

• Haha 2