• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What is the biggest difference?

Jdawgflow

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Capela - missed 1st 2 games

Gallo - played in 1st game, missed the next 2, injured in game #4 3 minutes in, then he was out for next 10 games

Bogi - played 1st 8 games, injured in game 9

Snell - 1st 9 games missed

Rondo - played in 4 games: 3 and 4, then 11 and 12.

How many games have been missed during the 10-1  under McMillan?

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Atlantaholic said:

Yup this is as close to the healthiest we've ever been... though it's worth noting Capella has missed some games and hasn't really looked good when he is out there the last couple. 

You serious? 

During that 11 game stretch in which McMillan was coach of the Hawks where he has gone 10-1

Hunter  missed all 11 games

Bogie missed 3 games

Capela missed 4 games

Cam  missed 8 games

Rondo missed 3 games

Dunn missed 11 games

I may be even missing some. additional injuries 

• Like 2

Clearly the team was not playing for coach LP.  This transcends sports.  People are loyal to and work for managers not companies.  Pierce had lost the team.

Although, since we played lesser teams, I’m not sure how good we are yet.  The next ten games will help us judge the team as a whole.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

You serious? 

During that 11 game stretch in which McMillan was coach of the Hawks where he has gone 10-1

Bogie missed 8 games

Capela missed 4 games

Cam  missed 8 games

Rondo missed 3 games

Dunn missed 11 games

Bogie has played in all 8 games since Nate took over on 03/02

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

You're right He missed on 3 games

You are attempting to put things in a vacuum.

Yes, apparently Lloyd Pierce loss the locker room.  However, you can't say the first 12 games of the season are equivalent to right now. You know why? The team has been together longer than three weeks.  That counts for something. 

I see a lot more effort out there from the players (buy-in) and Nate stops the run at about 5 pts instead of 10 pts.  It's just little things on the edges and players are executing much much better on both ends of the floor.  Maybe the slow pace is helping them, but it gives me a heart attack when I see the clock ticking down to 4 and they are still passing the ball. 

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, marco102 said:

You are attempting to put things in a vacuum.

Yes, apparently Lloyd Pierce loss the locker room.  However, you can't say the first 12 games of the season are equivalent to right now. You know why? The team has been together longer than three weeks.  That counts for something. 

I see a lot more effort out there from the players (buy-in) and Nate stops the run at about 5 pts instead of 10 pts.  It's just little things on the edges and players are executing much much better on both ends of the floor.  Maybe the slow pace is helping them, but it gives me a heart attack when I see the clock ticking down to 4 and they are still passing the ball. 

But guys you for get that Nate took over when Pierce's wife gave birth.  Went 2-1.  Pierce comes back and starts losing again to teams like OKC. 

5 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

But guys you for get that Nate took over when Pierce's wife gave birth.  Went 2-1.  Pierce comes back and starts losing again to teams like OKC. 

I forget nothing.  Just saying you can't compare the beginning of the season and the middle of the season when players have had time to gel. 

You can make the argument, but to me that doesn't make sense when talking about winning and injuries.  Most expected the Hawks would take about 24 games to gel because of so many new players coming in. 

You will hear no gripes from me. You are what your record says you are.  Nate is a better coach than Lloyd thus far. 

4 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

You serious? 

Bogie missed 3 games

Capela missed 4 games

Cam  missed 8 games

Rondo missed 3 games

Dunn missed 11 games

OO missed a couple, BG 1 game, but that might be it

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, marco102 said:

I forget nothing.  Just saying you can't compare the beginning of the season and the middle of the season when players have had time to gel. 

You can make the argument, but to me that doesn't make sense when talking about winning and injuries.  Most expected the Hawks would take about 24 games to gel because of so many new players coming in. 

You will hear no gripes from me. You are what your record says you are.  Nate is a better coach than Lloyd thus far. 

This is relevant for all teams though, not just the Hawks, so I don't think it's a point worth considering.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

This is relevant for all teams though, not just the Hawks, so I don't think it's a point worth considering.

It is when someone says look at the HAWKS' first 12 games and compare to now. 

That should be considered.

Edited by marco102

• Moderators
On 3/22/2021 at 9:13 AM, Atlantaholic said:

Yup this is as close to the healthiest we've ever been... though it's worth noting Capella has missed some games and hasn't really looked good when he is out there the last couple. 

Capela also took some time to get going this season.  He looked very stiff and was much less effective to start the year.  No shock after he was hurt all last season.

• Moderators

To the OP, I'd say the coaching change is the single biggest factor in the improved record.  Familiarity among the players is a positive trend across the season.  Strength of schedule has been a significant positive factor for us.  Multiple factors play into this but the coaching change brought focus and energy to the team and has been the biggest factor, imo.

• Like 2

On 3/21/2021 at 10:11 PM, Jdawgflow said:

I posted this in another thread but think it is worth the extra traffic for further discussion.

It is wild that just changing a coach has made this much impact.  I was asking my buddy who coaches high school the other day what % he felt was:

1. New coach

2. Health

3. Player buy in

Personally, I am having trouble deciding which one has been the biggest impact.  My buddy feels health and I feel buy in has been the biggest difference.  Neither of us feel very confident though.  🙃

Player Buy In. Trae especially and alot of the other young core wanted Lloyd gone

• Premium Member
On 3/22/2021 at 9:55 AM, Peoriabird said:

How many games have been missed during the 10-1  under McMillan?

Your gonna have some that would support LP no matter what. He is a terrible head coach period. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Vol4ever said:

Your gonna have some that would support LP no matter what. He is a terrible head coach period. 

I've definitely seen posters who are huge fans of particular people but I'm not sure I've seen anyone where the label fits with regard to LP.  I've seen plenty of posters who articulated their belief that continuity was more important than any potential upgrade with coach (and thus advocating not to make a change); I've seen posters who thought he was being blamed for things outside of his control; etc.  I would differentiate between saying "this isn't his fault" and "he is great."  (Like you can say that Kevin Huerter can't be blamed for not being strong enoug to move a boulder without saying that he is actually strong.) 

I've seen a pretty small number of posts that actually make the case that LP is a standout coach and even the posters that I can think of that made that case ended up reversing themselves this year.  

So I just don't see the wellspring of irrational LP support.  

• Thanks 1

We have played some tougher opponents lately, with injuries creeping back up; that being said, some of our old ways have started to resurface with not being able to close out close games 3 of our last 4 losses. Getting buried and playing uphill all game, dribble penetration from guards breaking down the defense, using Kev as a backup point guard, using Hill as a PF. 
We have lost that mojo and are trying to re-calibrate. I don't mind Bogi starting but I think until we get a backup PG healthy and available he made more sense staying with the second unit. If Lou is good to go we may be ok now, but its little things like that, that can cost you games.

Edited by RedDawg#8
  • Thanks 1