• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Lightning in a Bottle?

benhillboy

1 hour ago, benhillboy said:

This starting 5 is clicking like Dorothy heels.  Do y’all see any similarities to the Warriors high-water mark or the Thunder’s run when they were babies?  I’m saying this because no one has gotten their money yet.  Those two squads made Finals (and won in the Warriors’ case) mostly because they had so many impact players on rookie deals.  I’m gonna go out on a limb and call Nate a superior coach to Scott Brooks.  I question if Kerr could’ve presided over the turnaround we had, still obviously a great coach.

This team isn’t far from those combinations of talent related to payroll at all.  I actually had no idea we were 27th in payroll this year (Knicks dead last, props).  I don’t know what the cap situation would be next season after John is signed (or replaced with similar production) but it should still be one more season to try to cash in this window that has been blown open by Nate’s coaching, Schlenk’s fits, and Trae’s growth.  Not knocking Trae getting his max but that usually doesn’t go well when trying to build a balanced championship level team especially in a “mediocre” market.

Nate has the playoff recipe down: get to the line, protect the ball, pressure the hell out of it, and protect the glass.  When this team is knocking down 3’s I just don’t see any clear superior team, I’d take my odds with these Hawks all day.  The Jazz, The Lukas, Philly, whomever.  With Divencienzo hurt I hope the Bucks can get past the Nets tho, I’d hate to lose to those clowns.

Warriors?  no.

2012 Oklahoma City Thunder? 

Definitely.

• Like 4

This team has the potential to be a champion so yes, they are with both of those squads but it's hard to compare anyone to the first Warriors squad. Their chemistry was insane but I will say this. Our defense is insanely special. Bogi really might be our Klay Thompson. His offense and defense has been tremendous. 

Capela has been the real MVP on defense as Trae is for offense. Collins is what he is. A 4th option who is probably the best 4th option in the NBA. 

I'll say we are closer to the Thunder of 2012. I was expecting this when the season started but LP really struggled to get the guys to play to their strengths as well as we are so young. 

We could win a lot if we keep everyone for the next 5 years. At some point, we won't be able to afford everyone but let's get to that point and lets not do a OKC/Harden. Role players don't equal stars. 

We got 7 potential stars or stars

Trae

JC

Hunter

Cam

Bogi

Capela 

Okongwu 

We gotta keep em all past their rookie deals 

I would like to keep Kevin as well. The Thunder had four 

Durant

Westbrook 

Harden

Ibaka

Durant was a superstar even then. Trae is getting close and maybe he is there. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 3

Today's Hawk team is clearly very, very good.  Maybe even great!  We discover how good we are as we progress in this year's playoff.  This is wonderful!  Great!

Sadly, we, the Hawks, may never be any greater than we are right now.  This is a hard pill to swallow, isn't it.  But, remember this.  Players come and go.  Some fall off the bottom and new players are added thru the draft.  Free agents come and go.

Many, many of the present Hawk team who are young, upcoming players are going to demand a huge pay increase.  There is just so much $$$ payroll increase we can live with.  The better we play in the playoffs, the more desirable our players become to other NBA teams who will offer big $$$ for their services.

Can the Hawks match any and all offers?  Depends on the offers, doesn't it.  JC will open things after this season.  What will he be offered?  Then, soon, there are so many young Hawks who will get offers as big or bigger than JC gets this off season.

👨‍🌾

• Confused 1

The Raiders in 1979-90 had zero respect. They had traded Stabler away and ended up with a beaten up Plunkett at QB. They ended up taking it all with improvement and clutch plays at clutch times. They didn't have a chance in hell was the narrative and they took the Super Bowl. Nobody paid attention to them at all and there is the main similarity. We have a rotation that can be effective on both ends of the floor. We might not take it this year but am not seeing a ceiling at the moment. By the way, I have not forgotten about the Bucks and Nets series because the most eyes will be on them for the East after Embiid's recent situation.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
15 hours ago, benhillboy said:

Nate has the playoff recipe down: get to the line, protect the ball, pressure the hell out of it, and protect the glass.  When this team is knocking down 3’s I just don’t see any clear superior team, I’d take my odds with these Hawks all day.  The Jazz, The Lukas, Philly, whomever.  With Divencienzo hurt I hope the Bucks can get past the Nets tho, I’d hate to lose to those clowns.

That's it right there.  If we capitalize on the opportunities created by the penetration, lob threat, and ball movement...I think we are tougher than anyone expects that we are.  That being said, before I can co-sign on any similarities between us and GSW...there needs to be a Klay-like factor in the starting lineup.

We have good shooters, we need a consistently great shooter or consistently great scorer.  The score by committee (outside of Trae) is good for hopeful playoff drama.  It's not the preferred stuff of champions.

Just got my haircut and one of the barbers swears we are going to the Finals this year, and that he watches more Hawks than anyone in the room, and that we are the only team that goes 12 deep, and he will fight anyone that disagrees lol.

Im like, dude, I feel you, but lets pump the brakes and dial it in a bit.  We may have a chance against Philly, true, but lets walk before we run.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Just got my haircut and one of the barbers swears we are going to the Finals this year, and that he watches more Hawks than anyone in the room, and that we are the only team that goes 12 deep, and he will fight anyone that disagrees lol.

Im like, dude, I feel you, but lets pump the brakes and dial it in a bit.  We may have a chance against Philly, true, but lets walk before we run.

The real question is....did your cut take an additional 30 mins because of said conversation. 

Edited by HawksNWaffles
  • Haha 3

29 minutes ago, HawksNWaffles said:

The real question is....did your cut take an additional 30 mins because of said conversation. 

FACTS you already know it did!!! lol

I brought my good buddy a while back to my barber who was cutting from his garage back when businesses were still closed due to Covid. He literally said that he liked the cut, but my barber talks way too much for his liking and he would not be using him again because it takes too long. I'm like dang, that's exactly why I love the guy, I have the best sports debates with all the guys at his shop.

Edited by RedDawg#8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3