Build Proposals Around Trae = Exercise in Futility

benhillboy

3 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Trae has gone further than Luka and Ja.  PERIOD.

Both Luka and Ja has had teams that were built up to cover their deficiencies.  Trae has not.   Trae has been given a team that should match his ability by giving him outside shooters, but our outside shooters are the most streaky outside shooters in history.  In Brunson, Smith, and Bullock.. Luka got some 3 and D players.   Ja has a team that can win without him whoose calling card is defense.   We have 3 guys who are one trick ponies... they shoot from outside.   Kev is allergic to the inside.   Bogi plays horrible defense.  And Hunter... when he's not on the IL is inconsistent at everything. 

Trae creates deficiencies that Ja and Luka doesn't. While Ja might be a worse man defender than Trae, he's a million times better off the ball and when getting screened than Trae is.

Playoff Trae is not the problem, RS Trae is problematic. 

Edited by NBASupes

42 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

This is quite an extreme view. I think we at least have to be fair with our assessments.  Trae's live turnovers are a problem and so are his hot and cold streaks.  His defensive effort are not consistent to say the least which leads to team defensive struggles.  The defensive rating are what they are with him on and off the court.

I think what is more important is a fair assessment on guys like Hunter.  Not that great on offense or defense compared to expectations and he is terrible at rebounding and creating offense for others.  His defense isn't good enough to justify the other flaws in his game.  

You can't blame Trae and prop up a below average starter on the wing.  

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Dallas, Philly, and Chicago are worse rebounding teams and they are way better than us. Rebounding is not that big of a deal. Cleveland and Golden State used to whoop up on the league being poor rebounding teams. 

https://www.nba.com/stats/teams/rebounding/?sort=REB&dir=-1

I said.. THAT GAME YESTERDAY.

Show me where Dallas, Philly, or Chicago was outrebounded by 14 and won... then we can talk.

Just now, Final_quest said:

I think what is more important is a fair assessment on guys like Hunter.  Not that great on offense or defense compared to expectations and he is terrible at rebounding and creating offense for others.  His defense isn't good enough to justify the other flaws in his game.  

Hunter is a lot better than you think he is.

Just now, Diesel said:

I said.. THAT GAME YESTERDAY.

Show me where Dallas, Philly, or Chicago was outrebounded by 14 and won... then we can talk.

They have won games this year by 20 being badly outrebounded.

4 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

The Mavericks team is build around defense and that's how they win games. Max Klieber,  DFS, Reggie Bulock,, Josh Green and Ntilikina are all top 50 defenders this year in Raptor and  offensively Jalen Brunson is averaging 18-6 per 36 mins on 50% shooting. They also didn't lose 9/10s of their team for two weeks.

So is that your suggestion for our approach going forward? Get gritty dogged defenders who might not be the best offensive players? It's worth a try I guess.

2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

James Hardin in houston, D Howard in Orlando,  Lebron 1ST Cleveland stint. Hakeem Oladuwon

All of those guys were 50-60 win players. 

Harden always had some good role players like Capela and prime Ariza. 

Howard had Hedo and Lewis. 

Bron had a team built around his game. They just needed one star.

Hakeeem played in the 90s, different game and quality needed. 

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

James Hardin in houston, D Howard in Orlando,  Lebron 1ST Cleveland stint. Hakeem Oladuwon

James Hardin in Houston... You mean when he had Chris Paul the Point god?

D Howard in Orlando... You mean when he was surrounded with Rashard Lewis, Vince Carter, Jameer Nelson and JJ Reddick?   You know after they went to the ECF, we beat them the next year in the first round of the playoffs... Iso Joe and the Crawford...

It's an honor that you mention Trae in the same breath as Lebron and Hakeem...

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, bleachkit said:

So is that your suggestion for our approach going forward? Get gritty dogged defenders who might not be the best offensive players? It's worth a try I guess.

Trae needs guys with offensive talent around him. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Hunter is a lot better than you think he is.

They have won games this year by 20 being badly outrebounded.

Rebounding numbers can be misleading. For example, sometimes Capela gets three boards on a single possession because he's rebounding his own missed bunnies. 

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Final_quest said:

Trae will be paid $207 mil? Hunter getting $10 mil a year? Plus he has been thru multiple injuries so his explosiveness doesn't look the same, he is constantly plays out of position and is asked to guard point guard because no one else on the team can. Teams literally run plays to screen Hunter off of their best scorer to get them matched with Bogi or Huerter constantly.

1 minute ago, bleachkit said:

Rebounding numbers can be misleading. For example, sometimes Capela gets three boards on a single possession because he's rebounding his own missed bunnies. 

I know, its diesel who doesn't. He used to do this when he was pushing for Sheldon as well. 

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Diesel said:

James Hardin in Houston... You mean when he had Chris Paul the Point god?

D Howard in Orlando... You mean when he was surrounded with Rashard Lewis, Vince Carter, Jameer Nelson and JJ Reddick?   You know after they went to the ECF, we beat them the next year in the first round of the playoffs... Iso Joe and the Crawford...

It's an honor that you mention Trae in the same breath as Lebron and Hakeem...

Paul was there like 2 season?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

I know, its diesel who doesn't. He used to do this when he was pushing for Sheldon as well. 

What?  This can't be true.  Was anyone here pushing for that guy?  I don't recall that.  That's unforgiveable.

• Haha 2

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

Like I said previously.. Find your team that was outrebounded by 14.. and won  and then we can talk.   You can't make Rebounds a non-factor... as much as you would like to...

Just now, kg01 said:

What?  This can't be true.  Was anyone here pushing for that guy?  I don't recall that.  That's unforgiveable.

Diesel. It's the reason we even dislike each other. I almost got banned multiple times going at him about Sheldon

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Diesel said:

Like I said previously.. Find your team that was outrebounded by 14.. and won  and then we can talk.   You can't make Rebounds a non-factor... as much as you would like to...

It's not a non factor but it's not critical. When we had the 60 win Hawks, our rebounding was below average at best.