• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

present company excluded, everyone is right when they say ATL fans are horrible

shakes

Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

This^.  I take MARTA to the games but I still need to drive at least 25 minutes to get to that stop to board the train.

Love that the train arrives at the State Farm stop, up the escalators and I'm right at the gate.  Where MARTA really helps is leaving the game, I'm on a train within 10 minutes after the game ends, if I drive there takes me at least 25 minutes to get on the highway to head home.

I think another part of Atlanta that is different from other cities is the comfort level of the homes.  A lot of those in the burbs have a helluva place to watch a game, right in their living room.

I know when I was younger and lived up north, it was a big deal to get a night out. There are bars everywhere and "going out" going to "the spot" was a really big part of life. Suburban Atlanta life is much newer housing, big open floor plans, lots of venues if you want to go out.  I don't think "getting to the stadium" is as big of a deal here as other places except maybe the Braves from a history standpoint.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I"ll just reiterate what others have said.  I was born here and it's been this way my whole life.  For all teams.  Braves used to get killed for not selling out playoff games after about 96.   Showing up late is just the Atlanta way but here are the main bullet points to remember.

- it's a small city - yeah it's a huge metro area but unlike Chicago not that many live near the stadiums and only a tiny % can practically take transit to the game.   

- transplants.   So many jackwagons around here cheer for opposing teams whether they are from here or elsewhere

- corporate tickets - For Hawks i'd venture to say that close to half (and almost all the good seats) are corporate owned.   Which means they get doled out to whoever that doesn't really care that much and those seats you see on TV are people moseying to the game or sitting up at a bar somewhere.   For proof just look at how much more filled the upper level is in the first quarter.  Those are people who bought their own tickets.

I hadn't even thought of that but I know the few times I've wanted to shell out more than a few clams for tickets, I haven't been able to get good lower bowl seats. Many of them are company owned.

• Like 4

Na, any native Georgian like myself have been treated by decades of utter frustration and disappointment due to horrible ownership for a long time involving all our Pro sports teams, so many times our Pro teams folded like lawn chairs in the spotlight any normal human would get tired of it.

I enjoy this version of the Hawks but honestly these teams have to now perform first before I pay attention. also traffic here sucks hard core so it's no wonder we are late to games.

For the most part this has been corrected in the last few years for all our teams but you cannot dismiss 50 years of horrible futile and disappointing play so quickly.

Also for the Falcons 28-3 broke me and is a perfect example of all the frustration of a native person all wrapped up into one game.

The Braves winning the WS and UGA winning the title in the same year was pretty freaking amazing for this city, just need the Hawks to keep doing what they are doing as they seem to be a different type of team. The Falcons though can go F off until they actually win a SB, until then I'm ignoring them, to much time and energy wasted on that team just for them to hit you over the head with a chair.

Edited by swanlee

48 minutes ago, shakes said:

🤨  yea ok.  It's probably 2-3x worse than ATL traffic.  Campster says it takes a whopping 30 minutes to drive from one end of ATL to the other.   Add 1.5 hours to that if you try doing the same thing in Chicago during traffic which is pretty much from 7am through 8pm.

I grew up an hour east of Chicago. I spent every summer on the Northside, south of Wrigleyville for years.  I'd rather live in Atlanta and drive in Chicago.  The Dan Ryan is a Sunday stroll compared to an accident happening on the downtown connector.  Chicago wins at pot holes and that's about it.  I challenge you to live in North Gwinnett or Cobb County, work downtown and get home, pick up the family and make it down town for a game.  I dare you to try.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, thecampster said:

I grew up an hour east of Chicago. I spent every summer on the Northside, south of Wrigleyville for years.  I'd rather live in Atlanta and drive in Chicago.  The Dan Ryan is a Sunday stroll compared to an accident happening on the downtown connector.  Chicago wins at pot holes and that's about it.  I challenge you to live in North Gwinnett or Cobb County, work downtown and get home, pick up the family and make it down town for a game.  I dare you to try.

you're never going to convince me that ATL traffic is worse than Chicago.    And you growing up in Indiana however many years ago doesn't change that.

I guess we'll see for sure if the Hawks win tonight.   Game 3 and 4 vs Miami.  Let's see how many butts are in their seats at tip off.

I was a season ticket holder for a few years before Covid, here are a few things that I learned and would tell anyone trying to get to the game early/on time. 

1. The Marta trains are usually your best bet. Doesn't matter what part of Atlanta you're coming from, I bet you can drive to a train station and get to State Farm Arena faster than any other mode of transportation. 
  2. Leave early to arrive early. This is the thing that most working people can't do all the time. It isn't always easy to get off work, go home, change, grab the kids/friends, and be on the way to the game by 5:30/6:00.
  3. Have your tickets ready. This one is a mix of personal experience and work experience. You don't want to be the jerk holding up the entrance line because you are trying to pull up your tickets at the gate with spotty cell service.
  4. Seriously DO NOT DRIVE! You will get stuck in traffic that doesn't move. Unlike most NBA cities, Atlanta DOES NOT shut down just because there is a playoff game that night. There are 10 other events that other people want to get to and everyone is not going in the same direction. 
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Bro, how many times do you have to see the "fan" with a jersey worn over his dress shirt, tucked into his pants, and wearing a crisp hat he obviously bought on the way to his seat going corporate-crazy looking into the camera after the Hawks make a play ... to know he probably got them seats 'cause he's some exec at AT&T or wherever?

That's almost as bad as his kid.  The 20-something sitting next to him wearing skinni jeans, designer sweatshirt, sunglasses, bling, the newest retro-J's on his smartphone all game, who's only there 'cause Kyrie's his fav player.

Aiight, just make sure you keep that same energy when you look at MIA's early crowd.

😄

Hey @KG01, do you remember when we recorded this?  That was a great day. I was late to the game that day too!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

This^.  I take MARTA to the games but I still need to drive at least 25 minutes to get to that stop to board the train.

Love that the train arrives at the State Farm stop, up the escalators and I'm right at the gate.  Where MARTA really helps is leaving the game, I'm on a train within 10 minutes after the game ends, if I drive there takes me at least 25 minutes to get on the highway to head home.

What!?! You must leave early? Every time it takes me 20 to 30 to get on the train.

Edited by marco102

56 minutes ago, kg01 said:

The 20-something sitting next to him wearing skinni jeans, designer sweatshirt, sunglasses, bling, the newest retro-J's on his smartphone all game, who's only there 'cause Kyrie's his fav player.

There are 17,573 of those in the NY area that I saw alone. It’s like the Mets and the fat guys 😂 

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, marco102 said:

What!?! You must leave early? Every time it takes me 20 to 30 to get on the train.

I never leave early (I did once in a blow out loss,  because we drove and it was a school night, lol).

Last game - when we got to the platform the sign said 'Train arriving in 9 minutes' :laugh1:

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I never leave early (I did once in a blow out loss,  because we drove and it was a school night, lol).

Last game - when we got to the platform the sign said 'Train arriving in 9 minutes' :laugh1:

When I moved her to Atlanta, my wife made it abundantly clear that she was not going to sit there while I watch sports every night.

She now reminds me what night the game is on, has a jersey, a Hawks polo and t-shirt and yells "that's a foul" at the tv. A few times a year she checks ticket prices before I ask to see if there are good seats available.

She tried MARTA with me once but does terrible in crowds.  She's okay with the extra 20 minutes getting out of town.  I'm lucky though, I can go either 75 or 20 to get home. Its the same time for me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thecampster said:

Hey @KG01, do you remember when we recorded this?  That was a great day. I was late to the game that day too!

Ok, I just watched this and the only appropriate reaction is ..

200.webp?cid=ecf05e473dh82jesxehxvtyw0zj

The cinematography, the lyrics, the vocals ... so how many Oscar-Grammy's did this win?

@Spud2nique, why have you not brought this to my attention before now.  This could be the intro-song to our reality TV show.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Ok, I just watched this and the only appropriate reaction is ..

200.webp?cid=ecf05e473dh82jesxehxvtyw0zj

The cinematography, the lyrics, the vocals ... so how many Oscar-Grammy's did this win?

@Spud2nique, why have you not brought this to my attention before now.  This could be the intro-song to our reality TV show.

If you haven't watched the Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, I don't know how we can continue our already tenuous friendship. Its entire show built around the most jacked up things going on in @KG01 's head most days.

• Like 2