• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Mega Super Rumor Thread (Part 2)

NBASupes

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, georgia said:

Someone name a team that won it with only one playmaker

We ain't winning next year so we have time to find one.

2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

It didn't seem like anything I needed to share. Ayton intel is killing him right now. A lot of teams aren't moving forward with other plans. Rudy is fighting that and his age and contract. Getting along is a big deal when people are about to write you a blank check.

Didn't sound important enough to share??? So you were going to let posters carry on about Ayton/Gobert trades forever while laughing at their ignorance?

• Thanks 1

Just now, Peoriabird said:

We ain't winning next year so we have time to find one.

Didn't sound important enough to share??? So you were going to let posters carry on about Ayton/Gobert trades forever while laughing at their ignorance?

Yeah. I mean I was doing the same about the Murray talk till Stein spoke on it so you know it's not fake news

At the end of the day, I don't like to be the bearer of bad news and what if it happens is also always my thought so I just generally leave some things left unsaid. 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JeffS17 said:

it doesn't change the fact we still would have had to go through Miami or Boston in the east and both of those squads would have handed us the same kind of series loss we saw.

Well, hell no, it does change the critical fact that our regular season would have ended when MIA's did... we would have been the #2 or #3 friggin seed.

It changes the fact, then, that we wouldn't have limped into our first series having played two games in four nights against an opponent whose legs were well rested for a whole week.

It changes the fact that the play-in game in which Capela got injured wouldn't have even been played.

You assume far too much. Far.

Our defense wasn't up to MIA's or BOS's, but our offense was far above either of theirs. It's absolutely positively debatable how a MIA or BOS series would have turned out... given... that we had something similar we were facing just 12 months back, and but for a misplaced ref's foot, arguably would have had the skins of NYK, PHI and MIL on our wall... and then, perhaps yes, PHX as well.

It's damn amazing to me how people are so easily dismissive. It really is. Our guys... when our guys were our guys on the court... proved themselves in 20-21, and again in 21-22.

It didn't end well, but shallow assessments are shallow. Peel the onion back, and understand why we were 43-39 instead of 51-31... why we limped into the MIA series and the almost-self-evident reasons, not excuses but reasons, why it went the way it did.

.651... that's the Real Hawks running total under Nate McMillan over 1.5 seasons.

That's not 60 wins good, but it's so close its downright foolish to think this franchise should gamble on a big move at this moment. Tweaking, absolutely, but this is a team that naturally will improve for another year or two just simply because they're still mainly 23-25 yrs old.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

At the end of the day, I don't like to be the bearer of bad news and what if it happens is also always my thought so I just generally leave some things left unsaid. 

What do you mean?...to some this is great news!!!

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, thecampster said:

A few "ifs".

If Atlanta gets Murray, the downgrade at PF won't be dramatic and the trade creates $10 million in cap space to improve other roster slots. But Murray gives them 2 primary ball handlers/insurance if Trae goes out for an extended period of time.

If the Hawks continue to spend up to and around the LT, you can expect them to continue to be outside the lottery.

The future picks the next 3 years + would be outside the top 20.

3 first round picks in the 5-15 range is very different than 3 picks 21-30.

If SAS was asking for 3 lottery 1st rounders, I'd be balking too. But 3 21-30 picks, you're hoping 1 turns out to be a rotational player.  In that case you're trading JC + 1 rotational player (3x21+ picks = 1 rotational player) for Murray.  That's a very easy return, especially when that extra $10 million in salary can buy you a replacement rotation player...probably a better one.  The Charlotte pick is already protected top 18 this year.  I'd send 23, 25 and Charlotte's pick but only if I also have a plan at center and a plan to spend our other money. You don't trade for Murray in that situation in a vacuum. You have a plan going along with it.

That’s the thing for me, if you are going to be operating as a lux tax team going forward then cheap controllable assets are a must.  

Atlanta are not the Lakers, you cannot count on the vet-min carousel and even in that best of circumstances, that carousel is proven to be a short ride.  You cannot discount having young bodies (ew), we’ve seen the difference between the teams with long contending windows and the teams with short ones.

And then we both know from an asset management standpoint that future draft picks always have that nebulous “what if” value regardless of whatever stats show the likelihood of who becomes what.  You leverage that.  “Hey someday you too could be trading your 29th picked player for 3 firsts”

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

Some, not most. This is a optimistic thread, this isn't my normal ranting threads.

There are many of us who agree that it made no sense to invest that kinda money into center especially when you already have a bargain there.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, MaceCase said:

“Hey someday you too could be trading your 29th picked player for 3 firsts”

Bottom line and plus what if this AJ Griffin turns out to be something? Then what? Try to recoup those 3 1st that you gave up?

53 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

It's big

Hunter is 6'7 230 7'2 ws

Okongwu is 6'9 245 7'1 ws

Capela is 6'10 260 7'4 ws

We aren't as big as Cleveland. Cleveland is massive with Lauri, Mobley, and Allen.

I feel like you added 15 pounds to every player just to make a point.  That frontcourt is neither tall nor big.  OO simply cannot be the difference between the hawks being currently undersized. 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, MaceCase said:

I feel like you added 15 pounds to every player just to make a point.  That frontcourt is neither tall nor big.  OO simply cannot be the difference between the hawks being currently undersized. 

That's literally their weight, height, and WS.

13 minutes ago, sturt said:

Well, hell no, it does change the critical fact that our regular season would have ended when MIA's did... we would have been the #2 or #3 friggin seed.

It changes the fact, then, that we wouldn't have limped into our first series having played two games in four nights against an opponent whose legs were well rested for a whole week.

It changes the fact that the play-in game in which Capela got injured wouldn't have even been played.

You assume far too much. Far.

Our defense wasn't up to MIA's or BOS's, but our offense was far above either of theirs. It's absolutely positively debatable how a MIA or BOS series would have turned out... given... that we had something similar we were facing just 12 months back, and but for a misplaced ref's foot, arguably would have had the skins of NYK, PHI and MIL on our wall... and then, perhaps yes, PHX as well.

It's damn amazing to me how people are so easily dismissive. It really is. Our guys... when our guys were our guys on the court... proved themselves in 20-21, and again in 21-22.

It didn't end well, but shallow assessments are shallow. Peel the onion back, and understand why we were 43-39 instead of 51-31... why we limped into the MIA series and the almost-self-evident reasons, not excuses but reasons, why it went the way it did.

.651... that's the Real Hawks running total under Nate McMillan over 1.5 seasons.

That's not 60 wins good, but it's so close its downright foolish to think this franchise should gamble on a big move at this moment. Tweaking, absolutely, but this is a team that naturally will improve for another year or two just simply because they're still mainly 23-25 yrs old.

I think the only issue is, you got a player who wants out so the run it back will be missing a key member who wants to leave the group. We got his replacement but we gotta add something else. 

• Premium Member
Just now, NBASupes said:

I think the only issue is, you got a player who wants out so the run it back will be missing a key member who wants to leave the group. We got his replacement but we gotta add something else. 

I'm sure John is upset.

I'm not sure John is so upset that he's asked to be traded.

And. I'm not sure John is so upset that there is no forgiveness... something like the FO coming out now or soon to say, "We value John too much. We had to do our due diligence and weigh his value where other teams were concerned, but we're just not seeing anything that makes any sense. So, we're moving on from that whole concept to something else."

You just don't make a deal at a discount unless the alternative is that the guy is going to be a Ben Simmons kind of leg iron to your ambitions. John's not even barely that.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, georgia said:

I’m sorry to ask.    What did Stein say….I missed it.  

He said that there is something there and that JC wouldn't be going to the Spurs but he would go to a 3rd team not saying he knows anything beyond that. Basically, there is active chatter is all

4 minutes ago, sturt said:

I'm sure John is upset.

I'm not sure John is so upset that he's asked to be traded.

And. I'm not sure John is so upset that there is no forgiveness... something like the FO coming out now or soon to say, "We value John too much. We had to do our due diligence and weigh his value where other teams were concerned, but we're just not seeing anything that makes any sense. So, we're moving on from that whole concept to something else."

You just don't make a deal at a discount unless the alternative is that the guy is going to be a Ben Simmons kind of leg iron to your ambitions. John's not even barely that.

Can't disagree with you on that one bro

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MaceCase said:

Haven't you heard?  OO is 6'12", 400 lbs with a combo of KD and Olajuwon skillz. 

• Haha 3