• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Atlanta's Next HC....

Diesel

• Premium Member

If Nate stepped down.... or was fired... 

in the Interim, would this guy get a shot?

Nick Van Exel Is Returning to Atlanta Hawks as an Assistant Coach

“We call it ‘the dog’ in the NBA,” Van Exel said. “We are trying to bring that dog out of him.”

“He’s kind of a quiet kid,” Van Exel said. “He likes to joke around and have fun. But there are times when somebody makes him mad, and he is just blowing by guys. And we are like, ‘Man, you’ve got to do that all the time.’ He can do it. He has those skills. We are thinking about maybe going up to him and making him mad before every game, making up stuff just to get him going.”

Imagine, NVE with Murray and Trae.. and getting that dog..  Especially on defense. 

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, BangHolman said:

If Nate's fired mid-season, he can interim. But, we need to look outside of our organization for our next HC if it comes to that.

My feeling is that if Nate is fired, our interim would be put in place as a money and continuity issue.   Giving NVE a shot would be good for him and would continue our continuity on the cheap.  It's possible they he could Ty Lue this thing.

We have too much untapped talent. I want an innovative guy that can also get his team to play for him.

LP would have been great if he didn’t lose the locker room.

Nate is organized and a calm presence. But he is not imaginative enough for me. That’s what makes Lue such a great coach. He isn’t afraid to mix up his lineups when he sees something during a game, even if it’s unorthodox. He finds the hole in the opponent and jumps all in.

It will take Nate until midseason to figure out how to use Murray the right way. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
42 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

We have too much untapped talent. I want an innovative guy that can also get his team to play for him.

LP would have been great if he didn’t lose the locker room.

Nate is organized and a calm presence. But he is not imaginative enough for me. That’s what makes Lue such a great coach. He isn’t afraid to mix up his lineups when he sees something during a game, even if it’s unorthodox. He finds the hole in the opponent and jumps all in.

It will take Nate until midseason to figure out how to use Murray the right way. 

Right now, NVE is an unknown.  Much like Lue before Lue was named Interim, nobody really knows what he is capable of doing.   I'm not worried so much about innovation.  I want us to take advantage of our strengths.  This coaching squad will have to learn quickly that we can be a running team.   I would like to see us running most of the time and then if need be go into our halfcourt sets where PNR runs the day. 

4 hours ago, Diesel said:

This coaching squad will have to learn quickly that we can be a running team.   I would like to see us running most of the time and then if need be go into our halfcourt sets where PNR runs the day. 

I don't know if pace has ever been a thing for Nate. I'm hoping that we are naturally just better on defense to where we organically have more transition scoring opportunities because I don't know that Nate will have that mind on his own.

I have faith in him teaching/improving the defense. 

• Premium Member
30 minutes ago, swanlee said:

I would like 2 more full years of Nate before we think about doing anything.

Last year the covid BS put us in a huge whole. The league should have stepped in to help us but they did nothing. 

See, I feel the opposite.  I think our covid situation exposed why Nate doesn't deserve a ton of leeway.  IMO, he did not manage the roster and rotations well and was exposed for his lack of creativity, adjustments, and ability to manage a quickly changing environment.  All of those are skills that make a coach successful in the post season, which frankly has been Nate's biggest criticism over the years.  I just don't think Nate is the guy that's going to get the most out of the roster and talent come May and June.  I think we could still win a chip under Nate but it definitely won't be because of him.

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, JeffS17 said:

See, I feel the opposite.  I think our covid situation exposed why Nate doesn't deserve a ton of leeway.  IMO, he did not manage the roster and rotations well and was exposed for his lack of creativity, adjustments, and ability to manage a quickly changing environment.  All of those are skills that make a coach successful in the post season, which frankly has been Nate's biggest criticism over the years.  I just don't think Nate is the guy that's going to get the most out of the roster and talent come May and June.  I think we could still win a chip under Nate but it definitely won't be because of him.

That's BS....

Anytime you take away a coaches best players, there will be something missing in their coaching.

Is Popp not a good coach because he haven't sniffed the playoffs since the big three retired?

Phil Jackson without Kobe, Shaq, or MJ put the Lakers in the lottery. 

Steve Kerr without Steph and Klay had GS in the lottery.

I didn't hear anybody talking about Kerr's lack of Creativity??   That is pure BS Jeff.

• Moderators
18 hours ago, Diesel said:

That's BS....

Anytime you take away a coaches best players, there will be something missing in their coaching.

Is Popp not a good coach because he haven't sniffed the playoffs since the big three retired?

Phil Jackson without Kobe, Shaq, or MJ put the Lakers in the lottery. 

Steve Kerr without Steph and Klay had GS in the lottery.

I didn't hear anybody talking about Kerr's lack of Creativity??   That is pure BS Jeff.

Nate has a pretty long record of people thinking this was an issue.  It is possible this is a legit weakness of Nate's and that he has had his hands tied at various times due to injuries.  I don't think Nate has shown the ability to adjust on the fly to rule that out.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, AHF said:

I don't think Nate has shown the ability to adjust on the fly

Indeed. One of his biggest weaknesses and he’s got a few for sure. I don’t love his game planning either. I just think it’s not as efficient and consistently planned as it should be..for my taste anyways.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2022 at 1:19 PM, JeffS17 said:

Yea that's BS, we had a major portion of our roster signed off the street for a crucial time in the season, the league failed us not Nate.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, AHF said:

Nate has a pretty long record of people thinking this was an issue.  It is possible this is a legit weakness of Nate's and that he has had his hands tied at various times due to injuries.  I don't think Nate has shown the ability to adjust on the fly to rule that out.

I don't disagree with the history but I'm glad that you also noted that Nate has had his share of injured star players too.  I just think that whole line about lacking creativity because we lost during our Covid season is just BS. 

• Moderators
15 hours ago, Diesel said:

I don't disagree with the history but I'm glad that you also noted that Nate has had his share of injured star players too.  I just think that whole line about lacking creativity because we lost during our Covid season is just BS. 

IMO, we were outmatched last year and there wasn't anything Phil Jackson or Nick Nurse or Pops or anyone was going to do to change that.  Maybe we could have done better with a more creative approach but some version of winning the play-in round and then losing to the Heat seems inevitable with the injuries to CC, Collins and Bogi.  And Nate has definitely suffered from more than his share of player injuries over the years and shouldn't have all the blame put on him for things like losing to Boston without Oladipo or LeBron's Heat without Sabonis.  Those were series in which his team was a huge underdog and they simply didn't pull off a big upset.

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, AHF said:

IMO, we were outmatched last year and there wasn't anything Phil Jackson or Nick Nurse or Pops or anyone was going to do to change that.  Maybe we could have done better with a more creative approach but some version of winning the play-in round and then losing to the Heat seems inevitable with the injuries to CC, Collins and Bogi.  And Nate has definitely suffered from more than his share of player injuries over the years and shouldn't have all the blame put on him for things like losing to Boston without Oladipo or LeBron's Heat without Sabonis.  Those were series in which his team was a huge underdog and they simply didn't pull off a big upset.

On the flip side we can give Nate kudos for his upsetting the Knicks and Sixers two years ago - Hawks were the underdogs in both series.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I don't know if or when Nate gets fired. I hope he wins and delivers us a championship first and foremost. But if that's not the case, I think the next HC will not come from our organization. Ressler did that with Nate when he fired LP and I don't see him doing that again. I expect a full search.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

On the flip side we can give Nate kudos for his upsetting the Knicks and Sixers two years ago - Hawks were the underdogs in both series.

Definitely against the Sixers.  I'd say it was pretty even coming in vs the Knicks and we were more underdogs in the minds of the media than anything based on objective data.  Both Atlanta and New York finished 41-31 that season and both had expected records that were the exact same 41-31.  That is a pretty even matchup of 4 seed vs 5 seed.

The Sixers finished first in the conference and with a 49-23 record (and expected 48-24) record which is significantly better.  They were seen as the favorites and I think there were data driven reasons to view them as such.  That was definitely a great win.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, AHF said:

Definitely against the Sixers.  I'd say it was pretty even coming in vs the Knicks and we were more underdogs in the minds of the media than anything based on objective data.  Both Atlanta and New York finished 41-31 that season and both had expected records that were the exact same 41-31.  That is a pretty even matchup of 4 seed vs 5 seed.

The Sixers finished first in the conference and with a 49-23 record (and expected 48-24) record which is significantly better.  They were seen as the favorites and I think there were data driven reasons to view them as such.  That was definitely a great win.

Not to mention we started the Milwaukee series off really good.  We punched them in the teeth. 

Unfortunately though...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1