Off-season who-cares curiosity question: Brushes with greatness anyone?

sturt

• Premium Member

For those who may be unfamiliar with the idea...

Occurred to me to ask, since Spud sent me down memory lane with the mention about Rick Majerus... albeit a very brief brush with a person of some limited "greatness" by Common Joe/Jane standards... yes, Rick Majerus and I "met" once, as-in he specifically "spoke" with me... 😄.

That encounter is only exceeded by the one, the only, Harold Lloyd Jenkins when I was maybe 8 years old. He and his band decided to grab some lunch at the local hamburger joint in South Williamson, KY, and I got his autograph on a napkin. Harold was famous on his own, but those not raised with country music probably are more familiar with his common singing partner, Loretta Webb... the "coal miner's daughter."

Who else has something to share?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

I smoked weed with John Popper and Bobby Shehann from Blues Traveler

Got to meet and hang out with Gale Sayers backstage at the Robert Cray concert during my 15 minutes of fame when I was a reality tv star

Got to meet Walter Payton and get a ride to school from him back when my buddy's dad was good friends with him

Met John Candy at the gas station by my house when he was filming Uncle Buck at the bank next door.  I was the only one there and got to hang out with him for 10 minutes.  i was wearing my high school hockey jacket and he is Canadian so we talked about hockey.  He gave me an autograph that said,  "Keep your head up in the corners - john candy".    Wish I knew where that was.

that's all I got off the top of my head for now.

my brother got to play 2v2 with Scottie Pippen and Horace Grant.  My brother was with Scottie and threw him several alley oop passes.  How cool is that?

In the same gym I got to shag balls for Jim Les when he was waiting to get drafted.  

• Like 4

This is gonna' sound really arrogant, but you asked ...
I have been able to meet lots of famous people, and befriend several, through four connections. 

First, my uncle was a well-known jazz musician who played with Charlie Parker, Oscar Peterson, and many others, and eventually became the international music director for Playboy Clubs worldwide.  Through him I got to meet, and sometimes perform with (I'm a drummer), Buddy Rich, Ella Fitzgerald, Oscar Peterson, Carlos Santana, and Buddy Guy.  They were all dear friends of my uncle and when I'd see them in concert they would usually invite me to sit in for a number or two.  I'm not a professional drummer, just pretty good.

Second, through my professional career as a fundraiser for non-profit organizations (Boys & Girls Clubs of America at the national headquarters in Atlanta when I lived there), universities, children's hospitals, environmental organizations, etc., I staged a number of large fundraising events that involved celebrity guests.  I got to meet and become friends with Deion Sanders, Dominque, Mike Fratello, and Evander Holyfield.  In fact, when I booked Mike Fratello to be the main speaker at a Boys & Girls Clubs event, he met me beforehand and said he was kind of nervous about public speaking.  I have worked with folks on that quite a few times, so we worked together.  Then I filmed his speech for him and we sent it to different networks and that's how he got auditions to be a color analyst on NBA broadcasts.  I'd have dinner with him and his family every once in a while as thanks. 

Third, I staged several concerts back in my Atlanta days, in the late 70s.  Through those events I got to hang out with with Charlie Daniels, Doc Watson, Earl Monroe, Cheech and Chong, and a bunch of other bands.  

Fourth, and finally (again, sorry, but you asked!), I was co-owner of a sports bar in Atlanta called Frankie's in the early 1990s.  It was in a shopping area called the Prado off 285 on the north side of town.  It was really big and we eventually sold it to Jocks & Jills (a larger chain of sports bars).  During those days we'd have every sports celebrity you could think of drop by.  I had dinner with Shaq, Mickey Mantle, Dan Marino, Tommy LaSorda, Johnny Bench, and others.  Really good times, to be sure!
Now I'm retired with an SUV living in my condo and my sons still don't think their old man was ever cool (all of this happened before they were old enough to understand it all).  F' them!  🤣

• Premium Member
46 minutes ago, LongTimeFan said:

Now I'm retired with an SUV living in my condo and my sons still don't think their old man was ever cool (all of this happened before they were old enough to understand it all).  F' them!  🤣

laughing-baby-gif-9.gif

• Haha 1

• Premium Member

I just happened to be there moments:

Evander Holyfield - Cheesecake Factory on Peachtree waiting for a table like everyone else
Shelvin Mack - checkout line at Walmart 
Jamal Crawford - at a Walgreens in Buckhead, I was walking out, he was walking in
Kevin Willis - walking across street from the old MLK center (he was coming from Church in a Royal blue suit), my cousin said, "what you talking bout Willis" :laugh1: he stopped and shook his hand.
Taurean Prince - walking in Cumberland Mall
Deandre Bembry - Lenox Mall (he was leaving, I was going in, he was wearing a @shakes special hat, a white one.
Clint Eastwood - walking on a sidewalk (we passed each other) in Savannah when he was filming Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil (they filmed a night scene on the street my apartment was on - they closed the street, I was able to see some of the action from my apartment window). They told us to stay inside and not turn on our lights.
Maya Angelou - speaker at my Graduation commencement
Steve Smith - at my Doctor's office: he and his wife came in - she was a patient.
Whitney Houston and Bobby Brown -Bank of America at the corner of Piedmont/Peachtree

• Like 2

• Moderators

Was picked to be a representative for my soccer league many years ago and attended an event with three other kids at Atlanta Fulton County Stadium.  That day was my best brush with greatness for sure.  I got to pass the ball back and forth with and chat for a minute with Pele (also got his autograph on a bunch of stuff and my picture with him) and then met Hank Aaron (and got my picture with him and his autograph).  Haven't had another day that touched that kind of greatness of meeting two of the all-time best in two different sports.

• Like 2

On 9/1/2022 at 9:58 AM, sturt said:

since Spud sent me down memory lane

If you don’t @ me I see it days later.. wait, that wasn’t an error was it? :er:

1987-  “Over the Top” star ⭐️ Sly… (that’s who I thought it was gonna be.. no Stallone).. rather the villain Rick Zumwalt. (My sister worked at a video store and they were promoting the movie 🎥)

1988- Manute Bol (local mall signing; signed a caricature NBA shirt of himself for me. Nicest guy ever.

1995- Bruce Wilhelm- World’s strongest man winner 1977, 78. I worked at a gas station and he came in to fill up. He caught me reading a Muscle fitness mag and told me “those are all bull$hit articles”.. I said, alrighty then! 😂 Funny dude who was mad real, I dug it.

1996- Ronnie Lott- Gas station; I didn’t work at this one but ran into him pumping gas near his house. 

1998- Friend worked at KRON channel 4 for his internship. He got us press passes for the Braves/Giants game. We ended up going back to the locker rooms after the game and met Bobby Cox. There was quite a big spread of food waiting for them after the game. Cool stuff. 

2001- Baywatch actress: Alexandra Paul who played Stephanie Holden. Vegas airport.

2005- Andre Carter; Jamba Juice; got a pic with him. X Cal Bear and Niner. A total beast on the field back in the day. Laid back dude. My gf got a pic of us. 😊 

2006- Steve Young was at the airport in SF. Very few people were there. We locked eyes, he gave me a look like.. please don’t come over I know you know who I am… the nonverbal communication was received. I nodded at him and he acknowledged and we left it at that.

2008- Lance Armstrong was running 🏃‍♀️ at a park in Washington DC. We were there on vacation with a few friends. We all noticed him as he ran by and me being me yelled:

AYYYYYYEEEE LANCE, WHERE’S MATTHEW (McConaughey)??? I was being a smarta$$ because the whole year I had seen them together in magazines on newsstands everywhere 🗞 :huh:

2011- Patrick Willis. Was eating with another Niner at a restaurant. We were drinking with a friend. I went up to him to see if I could get an autograph. He said he was just tryin to eat.. aka nah. Prolly shouldn’t have been all up in his when he was tryin to eat but I felt he was being a a$$ so the drunker I got the more I started staring him down. My friend said… and I quote:

I swear Spud if you start funk with Patrick Willis I will help him beat your a$$. 🤣 

2013- Joey Chestnut, supermarket, his girlfriend, also a competitive eater was there as well, I have a picture with him. Superstar eater.

2022- Max Kellerman in NYC got a pic with him. Trailing him was Keyshawn Johnson who slipped into the cab 🚕 before I got over there.

I think that’s it. I may have missed a couple. If I remember I’ll post. 

• Like 1

On 9/1/2022 at 10:32 AM, shakes said:

Met John Candy

image.gif.0a2f7df6b5e62e95dee9f0833f9c5380.gif

On 9/1/2022 at 12:08 PM, LongTimeFan said:

Carlos Santana,

Oh baby! Nice!

I got to meet and become friends with Deion Sanders, Dominque, Mike Fratello, and Evander Holyfield.

I beg your pardon? 😳 

Cheech and Chong,

:sleeping:

I had dinner with Shaq, Mickey Mantle, Dan Marino, Tommy LaSorda, Johnny Bench, and others.  Really good times, to be sure!

That’s awesome.

F' them! 

🤣 

I met Mohamed Sanu with a mutual friend one time and literally have a couple articles of clothing from Sanu's closet that he gave me, cast offs. 

My mom took me with her to a grand opening of a fitness club in Morrow back around 82 or 83 and Richard Simmons was part of the opening.  I sat right next to Richard Simmons as he presented and he kept giving me swigs from his can of Tab.  So Richard Simmons and I have exchanged saliva.  

I've been on the same flight with Brandy/Moesha and another with Heather Locklear, but I usually don't bother celebs the few times I have seen them out and about.  

My sister lives in LA and hung out with Urkel from Family Matters one night at a friends house.  They literally played charades or something.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member

During my football playing days... There were many but these stand out.

Steve Bartkowski  & Alfred Jenkins.   Met them at Atlanta Fulton County Stadium on the field.

Ronnie Lott and Mike Kenn at a football camp. 

Angela Bassett on a flight. 

Dusty Rhodes, Thunderbolt Patterson and Wahoo McDaniels Backstage.

Alonzo Morning and J.R. Reid at a Club in D.C.

Ice T and Darlene...

14 hours ago, Diesel said:

It was shocking how small Alonzo was.  Reid was bigger.  Zo had that dog though...

Zo was nice. Always liked that tough mentality. That draft in 92 was sick Shaq and Zo. Of course 91 brought Deke. 3 HOF bigs in 2 years.

• Premium Member
18 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Zo was nice. Always liked that tough mentality. That draft in 92 was sick Shaq and Zo. Of course 91 brought Deke. 3 HOF bigs in 2 years.

Don't you dare forget about this guy!!!!

5 Surprising Things We Know About Christian Laettner | News, Scores,  Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report

• Haha 2

• Premium Member
46 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

:laugh1: I actually didn’t mind him with us, we had a nice lil group with him and Deke Mookie Smitty. He had the corner pocket 15-20 footer down. 

He was a failure for what he was coming out of college... and I was glad because I hate Duke.  But when he played for us, he did OK.  It's gotta be a bad thing to go from being the golden boy of college Basketball to being a punchline in a Shaq Song. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1