• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Hawks trades that didn't happen!

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

Moving up in the Draft:

Trade Package: Trading up in the draft never made much sense to me from the Hawks perspective. In contrast, they had been linked to Grant for several months. The Hawks would have packed Collins, a 2022 second-round pick-swap, a 2023 first-round pick (via Charlotte Hornets), and two future second-round picks.

Roster: Trading for Grant would have precluded the Hawks from acquiring Murray. It would have also created a hole at the starting power forward position. However, four of the Hawks starting five would have likely included Trae Young, Kevin Huerter, Jerami Grant, and Clint Capela.

Deandre Ayton

Trade Package: Acquiring Ayton would have required a sign-and-trade for the Hawks. Ayton would still get his four-year, $133 million contract, while the Suns would receive Capela and perhaps a combination of contract filler and draft picks. 

Roster: Signing Ayton would have restricted the Hawks in future moves. The Kevin Huerter trade still probably happens since it was essentially a cost-cutting measure. The Hawks starting five would have likely included Trae Young, Bogdan Bogdanovic, De'Andre Hunter, John Collins, and Deandre Ayton. 

Rudy Gobert

Trade Package: Using the Timberwolves trade as a framework, trading for Gobert would have likely cost the Hawks Clint Capela, Kevin Huerter, Jalen Johnson, AJ Griffin (No. 16 pick), 2023 first-round pick (via Charlotte Hornets), 2025 first-round pick, 2026 pick swap, 2027 first-round pick, and a 2029 first-round pick.

Roster: The Hawks roster and future would have been gutted had the trade talks with the Jazz come to fruition. The starting five would have likely included Trae Young, Bogdan Bogdanovic, De'Andre Hunter, John Collins, and Rudy Gobert.

Donovan Mitchell 

Trade Package: Using the Cavaliers trade package as a model, the Hawks would have had to package John Collins, De'Andre Hunter, AJ Griffin, 2023 first-round pick (via Charlotte Hornets), 2025 first-round pick, 2026 pick swap, and a 2027 first-round pick.

Roster: The Hawks would have still made the Kevin Huerter trade in this scenario. But just the thought of that trade package is enough to make Hawks fans squeamish. The Hawks new starting five would have likely included Trae Young, Donovan Mitchell, Justin Holiday, Moe Harkless, and Clint Capela. 

Kevin Durant

Trade Package: The Hawks would have had to mortgage their future to acquire Durant. A package consisting of John Collins, De'Andre Hunter, Onyeka Okongwu, four first-round picks, and three pick swaps would be the cheapest possible trade package. 

Roster: The star-laden Hawks starting five would have likely included Trae Young, Dejounte Murray, Bogdan Bogdanovic, Kevin Durant, and Clint Capela.

Knowing what you know now - would you do any of these trades as an alternate?

• Thanks 2

Both the last two seasons were flukes to me.  Two years ago we sorta lucked our way deep into the playoffs.  Last year mainly the covid replacement roster thing killed our playoff seed, which doomed us.  Both years we still needed more talent.  I think this offseason moved us up a few slots, but we will see.

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Knowing what you know now - would you do any of these trades as an alternate?

If I didn't long ago make myself clear on any of those acquisitions, then either somethin funky is going on and the Hawksquawk gremlins have completely befuddled my attempts at communication, or I'm just a terribly inept communicator.

But for the record. No. No. No. And, you guessed it, but it's a far far far more emphatic... NO. 😉

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sturt said:

If I didn't long ago make myself clear on any of those acquisitions, then either somethin funky is going on and the Hawksquawk gremlins have completely befuddled my attempts at communication, or I'm just a terribly inept communicator.

But for the record. No. No. No. And, you guessed it, but it's a far far far more emphatic... NO. 😉

If we make squawk “stand pat” T 👕’s can we put a pacman logo patch on the right sleeve to go with it? Yellow and red color scheme of course. 

AND A BIG BRAVEHEART IN THE MIDDLE!

8D61C5A6-64C2-4210-BF4A-9FEAD1CFD9C6.jpeg

• Premium Member
17 hours ago, Sothron said:

Trading for Ayton and Murray could still have happened and should have IMO. We still have Capela who gives you nothing on offense but terrible free throw shooting and zero spacing. 

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/questions-deandre-aytons-character-attitude-173054914.html

"There's a reason they didn't max him Stephen A., there's a reason they didn't max him," Redick said, "Has nothing to do with playoff performance. He was good in the playoffs last year. The reason they didn't max him was because there's questions about his attitude and character. Boom. There you go."

I'm sure that Ayton was picked up immediate because the Suns do want to move him with a contract so that they can get something back for him.  Maybe a Gobert like Haul.  But there's a lot of questions.. especially that game.  Clint has limitations but Clint is loyal.