• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I thought Nate was a defensive coach!

Peoriabird

• Premium Member

Is this possible?

In an interview with The Athletic last March, Capela pointed to the shortened offseason, "Sometimes, you just feel like you have to regenerate. At the end of last season, I was gassed. I needed some time away. I was drained."

This offseason was a full five months - twice as long as last summer. Assuming Capela is fully healthy and well-rested (or regenerated), he can easily work his way back into the conversation for NBA's best defender.

To be in the conversation as the league's best defender, Capela would need to be near the top in all of the following categories: blocked shots, defensive rebounds, and defensive rating.Last season, Capela finished 20th in blocked shots, 12th in defensive rebounds, and 17th in defensive rating. However, Capela was often pulled out of position to clean up the mistakes of the Hawks' woeful perimeter defenders. Adding Dejounte Murray and a slew of defensive-minded veterans will resolve that problem.

Capela's case for best defender will still rely heavily on his teammates. The past five DPOY winners played for teams that finished the regular season with a top-three defensive rating. The Hawks finished 26th last season

• Premium Member

If we can get our defense to start the year like we ended the 2nd half of lastyear, we'll be on to something:

After 42 contests, a five-game losing streak had the Hawks sitting at 17-25. They had the league’s second-best offense and third-worst defense. In the final 40 games of the season, the Hawks went 26-14, and they had the third-best offense and 16th-best defense during that stretch

• Like 3

It's a fact.  If you want to build a new house you are limited to the materials that are available for your use.  Example:  You can't build a log cabin if you have no logs.

Nate was limited by the players that was available to him for the Hawks to be a great, dinamic defensive team.  It now seems that this main excuse has been removed.  Changes in the roster of the Atlanta Hawks feature more defensive able players.  Time to step up.

🧑‍🔧

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I see us playing good defense.  The thing that has me stoked is seeing Trae make the effort.   He actually made the effort to guard his man and took a charge.  (THE MITTEN). 

Our rotations look good.  I was watch Trae with the 2nd team and even though the chemistry is not there yet, the effort is there. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member

In reading the title, I had to think about the difference between last year and this year.   I think you can talk about how good a coach Nate but it's somewhat dependent on the caliber of defensive players he has.   This year, we have better defensive players.  Still miss Delon.   I just watched the defensive mistakes video.  I expect those to clear up with more time and more coaching.   However, it's different than just having no guys (save Delon and Clint) who knows what's going on on defense and can anticipate.

I look forward to a strong showing defensively from this team.  Maybe not top 5 teams but hopefully somewhere in the top 18. 

I saw it mentioned somewhere tht our newest assistant coach was a pretty good defensive coach.  True or false?  You tell me because I sure don't know.  Just something I have heard.

Big defenders can stop a lot of "at the rim" scoring.  They can't stop all shooting, however.  Just the players who come at them.  We have saw this recently and we know it is true.  These same players are hard to stop when they are on offense, especially those who can make a free throw.

Ball movement, player quickness and the ability to hit shots are hard for anyone to stop and this is what the Atlanta Hawks have!  Grabbing some rebounds and we really are in buisness !!

:smug:

Edited by Gray Mule

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

I saw it mentioned somewhere tht our newest assistant coach was a pretty good defensive coach.  True or false?  You tell me because I sure don't know.  Just something I have heard.

Big defenders can stop a lot of "at the rim" scoring.  They can't stop all shooting, however.  Just the players who come at them.  We have saw this recently and we know it is true.  These same players are hard to stop when they are on offense, especially those who can make a free throw.

Ball movement, player quickness and the ability to hit shots are hard for anyone to stop and this is what the Atlanta Hawks have!  Grabbing some rebounds and we really are in buisness !!

:smug:

This coaching staff needs to teach this team how to play pick and roll defense period.  Its just atrocious at times.  Also they need to preach one of the most basic and fundamental elements of transition defense which is hustling back during the transition from offense to defense.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

As much as the offense has struggled, on the defensive side - this is encouraging:

Hope we can keep it up! Collins has been in beast mode defensively and currently in the top 20 for defensive win shares.

• Like 2

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, JTB said:

Hope we can keep it up! Collins has been in beast mode defensively and currently in the top 20 for defensive win shares.

Whether we can keep it up or not, I'm reading it as an early sign that we should be much better than last year.  And there is still time for getting used to each other on D just like there is on offense.

• Like 2

We have shown that we could play good defense under Nate, it usually just happens in stretches at the end of the season.

Glad that we are coming out of the gates strong on that end. We will have to keep it up while our shooting comes around.

• Like 2