• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Pacers

lethalweapon3

12 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

While this may be true, some of the other GMs didn't think that Luka's game would fully translate to the NBA style in a superstar like way. 

It's funny how we get the most grief for trading him, when Phoenix and Sacramento straight passed him up.  Even Memphis at 4, pretty much put out that they were taking JJJ, even if Luka was still on the board.  Luka was not a consensus slam dunk pick. 

So if you're a franchise like Atlanta, who have decided to tear everything down the year before and rebuild, you make a decision on which would be the best short and long term decision for the franchise.

Trust and believe with the way Luka plays, and the big shots he makes, he would absolutely be a hit in Atlanta.  But Trae IS more entertaining to watch, mainly because he's smaller and the things he does out on the court seem like it takes a lot more effort.  Luka, because of his size, looks to just coast throughout the game, much like James Harden does.  Stuff comes very easy to him. 

With Trae, you know he's working for everything he's trying to get, ala Allen Iverson.

I don't see this re effort.  Trae looks like he is loafing more than half the time.  The fact that he can hit deep shots while floating well beyond the three-line does not, in my mind, speak to effort, but skill.

2 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

If building a team around Luka is easier, why don' they have higher caliber players on his team?  And why are the Mavs just slightly better than the Hawks?   Luka's style is more ball dominant than Trae's.  So if you drop Luka in Atlanta, he'll shoot a higher percentage than Trae, but some of the same issues you have on this team would remain.

Does Luka make Hunter a better player?  How about Collins?  Is the lob threat to Capela there with Luka on the team?  Any spot up shooter around Luka would love him, but they'd still have to make shots.  So at best, what are the Hawks with Luka?  19 - 15?   Especially with the injuries we've had.

Eventually, Luka is going to have to learn how to play with another All-Star caliber player.  Or worse, he may have to give up playing the point and let someone else play it.  The addition of Kemba Walker actually helps that team, because it gives them another ball handler on the floor and Luka can play more inside the paint.

In my opinion, Luka's supporting cast is so much worse than Trae's.  The fact that the Mavs front office can't put people around him is a strong indictment of their abilities.

• Like 2

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Packfill said:

In my opinion, Luka's supporting cast is so much worse than Trae's.  The fact that the Mavs front office can't put people around him is a strong indictment of their abilities.

I was going to try to disagree with this but i can't really.  To me the problem is hanging on to Hardaway as their second best player.  He's one of the streakiest players i've seen

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Packfill said:

Supporting cast isn't great but it's not as terrible as it's being billed.  Coaching is far superior there. 

DAL, under Cuban, has always been terrible at team building.  Dirk won 1 in spite of it.  They're recreating history, so we'll see if the new guy can drag them to one.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I was going to try to disagree with this but i can't really.  To me the problem is hanging on to Hardaway as their second best player.  He's one of the streakiest players i've seen

I don't think anyone inside or outside of that organization views Hardaway as their second best player, or even fourth best.

1 minute ago, Packfill said:

Sadly for them, Dinwiddie.

If Dinwiddie were on our team, where would he rank?

16.5 ppg - 3.2 rebs - 5.2 asst - 46% FG - 41% 3FG - 84% FT

Just now, TheNorthCydeRises said:

If Dinwiddie were on our team, where would he rank?

16.5 ppg - 3.2 rebs - 5.2 asst - 46% FG - 41% 3FG - 84% FT

If we got that type of production from Hunter, we would be estatic.

2 hours ago, Packfill said:

I don't see this re effort.  Trae looks like he is loafing more than half the time.  The fact that he can hit deep shots while floating well beyond the three-line does not, in my mind, speak to effort, but skill.

He hasnt had God knows how many 1st rd picks like Travis has..

I think the Mavs have had 1 1st rdr since he was drafted..