• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What we have right now...

Diesel

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Sometimes, I think we fictionalize Deke.   Deke was what he was... The Best rim protector in the history of the game.   But apples for apples, I would be willing to guess at the same age/stage  Clint is a better scorer than Deke.   More efficient and more points.

I loved Deke.  Still do.  But kid me always thought he looked like Frankenstein on the block getting ready to do his hook shot.  But that defense!  ☝🏽

• Like 2

None of us knows what goes on behind closed doors.  After signing Favors, Hawks go on a 4 game winning streak.  One thing had nothing to do with the other.  Really?  Can you prove it?

Hawks are healthy, at last!  We all agree, this has made a huge difference.  What is being said behind closed doors?  Could it be the wisdom of a new vet player?  

As Yogi would say, "Half of the game is 90% mental."  Something or someone has made our Hawk team into believers.  They believe they can, therefore they do.

:smug:

• Like 1

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

None of us knows what goes on behind closed doors.  After signing Favors, Hawks go on a 4 game winning streak.  One thing had nothing to do with the other.  Really?  Can you prove it?

Hawks are healthy, at last!  We all agree, this has made a huge difference.  What is being said behind closed doors?  Could it be the wisdom of a new vet player?  

As Yogi would say, "Half of the game is 90% mental."  Something or someone has made our Hawk team into believers.  They believe they can, therefore they do.

:smug:

Whenever i hear behind closed doors i always think of this song

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Final_quest said:

We haven't really had a next man up for Capela.  Last season we didn't put things together until he regained form.  I can't think of a stretch of success we've had that doesn't include healthy and effective Capela.  

This was last year: https://theathletic.com/3212409/2022/03/28/clint-capela-on-his-frustration-with-hawks-defense-his-health-and-this-season-being-a-wake-up-call/

Capela has missed 16 games if I'm correct.  The Hawk's are 6-10 without him.  The other 29 games have been a mixed bag of...bad basketball.  All posters have concluded that health is a problem for this team as the core hasn't been together to jell for a sustained amount of time.  

That said OO filed in admirably beginning Jan.8th to Jan 13th against the Pacers and then the Raptors.  I'd say he performed at a next man up level, albeit he's not Clint.  This run coincided with him stepping up too. With Clint back, I think the level of play picks up.  

DJM backed up my thoughts that this team hadn't put together a full game of basketball ALL year until recently (he didn't ask me about that though). My guess is that now is the time to cement this run with consistent play.  Regardless of how we got here.

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, deester11 said:

That said OO filed in admirably beginning Jan.8th to Jan 13th against the Pacers and then the Raptors.  I'd say he performed at a next man up level, albeit he's not Clint.  This run coincided with him stepping up too. With Clint back, I think the level of play picks up.  

sometimes it's all about matchups as well.  He is so young in his career 142 games played and 22 years.  Sometimes we want it all at once.  Development is not always linear - give him time to grow into his game and development process.

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Diesel said:

I think what we are learning is that JC doesn't have to be in the PNR to score.   Nor does he have to be on the three point line.   We have ignored JC's transition scoring and his midrange scoring.   

2 hours ago, Diesel said:

JC is good.  We just don't make him the focus on offense.   That's the problem.  .....   We should be allowing him to find mismatches and sending the ball to him when he has a mismatch. 

Whether you and I agree on the same approach for JC, I think both of us agree that "we" here is "Nate."

• Thanks 2

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Trae usually puts the ball where bringing down isn't even an option though.   I don't know.  it'd be interesting to see but Capela does seem like the ideal fit.  If healthy

That's the best argument... Health. 

CC has a motor.   He's a player.  He's an ideal fit with Trae...   But Health.

i would hate to take a lesser player because he's going to be healthier but that's a consideration.   I think that's why we got him in the first place. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, deester11 said:

Capela has missed 16 games if I'm correct.  The Hawk's are 6-10 without him.  The other 29 games have been a mixed bag of...bad basketball.  All posters have concluded that health is a problem for this team as the core hasn't been together to jell for a sustained amount of time.  

DJM backed up my thoughts that this team hadn't put together a full game of basketball ALL year until recently (he didn't ask me about that though). My guess is that now is the time to cement this run with consistent play.  Regardless of how we got here.

I was listening to Van Gundy yesterday... I think he summed it up nicely.   He said, you will always have injuries.   Your Key players will be injured.  That's why it's important to develop a bench that can fill in. 

viola.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
21 minutes ago, swanlee said:

We need a legit big guy off the bench when Cap misses a month or more every year. OO is good on offense but he does not replace Cap Defense and size. We need one spot for a big center when Cap is injured

Dwight Howard is sitting next to his phone....

Los Angeles Lakers: Evaluating what went wrong for Dwight Howard

38 minutes ago, swanlee said:

We need a legit big guy off the bench when Cap misses a month or more every year. OO is good on offense but he does not replace Cap Defense and size. We need one spot for a big center when Cap is injured

Cousins..should have sign A Drum..Howard could help if he didn't goof around 

Edited by ABH

31 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I was listening to Van Gundy yesterday... I think he summed it up nicely.   He said, you will always have injuries.   Your Key players will be injured.  That's why it's important to develop a bench that can fill in. 

viola.

Agreed definitely!

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I thought for sure I was gonna open this thread and @Diesel was gonna just say:

....is a failure to communicate

You let me down Diesel, you let me down.

Edited by shakes

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, shakes said:

I thought for sure I was gonna open this thread and @Diesel was gonna just say:

....is a failure to communicate

You let me down Diesel, you let me down.

@shakes

No.. That post starts...

"What We Have Here....."

I posted that back during the ASG years.

It had this picture inside:

Remembering when Hawks defined dysfunction with a rejected handshake

I know... You're new around these parts...

• Haha 4

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, Diesel said:

@shakes

No.. That post starts...

"What We Have Here....."

I posted that back during the ASG years.

It had this picture inside:

Remembering when Hawks defined dysfunction with a rejected handshake

I know... You're new around these parts...

Damn I missed my window for that joke/reference.

• Haha 1

• Premium Member

In keeping with the theme of the post...  one more thing needs to be fleshed out. 

Nate has to go... not because of any one thing he's doing this season.. I think he's doing a fine coaching job despite the complaints of a lot of Monday morning QBs...  but Nate has to go because I don't think he sees the future or he knows how to creatively coach the future. 

What I am talking about it Aj. 

IN another thread a few days back, I said that AJ has some Kobe in him.   Actually, he has a lot of Kobe in him.   And Just like Kobe, when Kobe came to the league, it took him a little time to figure it out.   Well, Kobe was matched with a Hall of famer...   So is AJ.   Kobe had to fight for PT.. So is AJ.

But the turn of Kobe's career was when Del Harris was let go and Kurt Rambis was brought in with marching order to play Kobe.   Kobe led the Lakers in scoring that year.  The next year... enter Phil Jackson.  Phil's offense was catered to Sgs... 

Nate is our Del Harris.   Not a bad coach at all.   I liked Del too.  However, was not creative enough to know how to rightly use a young star.   The sad thing is that he was fired after a 61-21 season that had him in the WCFs. 

AJ is the future. 

Get ready for   Trae, DJ, and AJ...

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, swanlee said:

Yea Nate stepping down after the season would be better for all involved, he can stay as an advisor if he wants but we need a younger coach in their prime that can steer this roster into the future.

I don't think Younger is even necessary.  Just innovative.   Innovative doesn't mean younger... it doesn't mean complex.  It just means that we need somebody with a plan for each player.  We're not built like the classic team so we should not be made to conform to the classic team's way of play.