• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Give us a rundown of your Basketball fandom history

NBASupes

10 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Deion/49ers fan.

Shoulda ended when he left the Falcons. Go Andre Risen baby!

11 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I was finally coming into my body

Pics or it didn’t happen. :batman:

12 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Glenallen Hill,

Indians were bad a$$, we beat them down in the World Series but they had some foo dudes in Ramirez Thome and Albert “don’t call me Joey” Bell.

13 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

When I say no one liked the Hawks, I mean no one but just me. I started lurking on here because it was so hard to find other Hawk fans. 

Dry days yes. I woulda befriended anyone wearing red and yellow even Ronald McDonald.

15 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I was a ladies' man, handsome, tall, confident, and charismatic.

Pics :huh:

Nice story Supes.

• Like 4

I played basketball in rec/church leagues starting at age 9 in 1962.  I was very short for my age (only 5 feet tall my junior year of high school and then grew 10 inches before graduating a year or so later!!).  So, I was quick but not very good, TBH.
That destined me to be a fan more than a player, though I continued to play recreationally until just a few years ago (now 69 years old).  I would chop off the ice from my driveway in Chicago and shoot baskets in the freezing cold.  LOVED the sport.  
Anyway, I really became a fan of pro basketball when in 1966 Lew Alcindor (later Kareem Abdul-Jabbar) became a phenomenon at UCLA and the Chicago Bulls franchise debuted that same year.  Loved the early Bulls teams.  Went to several games over the years.  Also loved the Artis Gilmore years in the late 70s with the Bulls.
I moved to Atlanta in the fall of 1977 and then became a Hawks fan immediately.  I was fortunate enough over the years to have friends with great tickets (courtside) so I was at many games.  Also, in my job as chief fundraiser for the Boys & Girls Clubs of Atlanta during my long career there, I was able to meet many Hawks players and spent time with some of them socially on a few occasions. And, when I was a part owner of Frankie's (a sports bar off of 285 and Roswell Road in the Prado shopping center) in the early 90s, I got to meet and hang with a few of them as well.
The Hawks have been my #1 sports team since 1977, and remain so, even though I relocated back to Chicago in 2008.
Screw the Bulls now!  🙂

1 minute ago, bird_dirt said:

Gotta love Supes. You’ll have a hard time finding a man more humble than him. 

My family’s from Cincy, so I grew up a Reds and Bengals fan. Basketball-wise, I’ve always been a UK fan, starting with Sam Bowie and Kenny Walker. Rex Chapman was my favorite player. I never cared for NBA too much. 

I was always into playing soccer and skateboarding. Still skate, but retired from soccer after breaking my leg a few years ago playing indoor. Recovery in my forties is not fun. 

After undergrad, I moved to Atlanta in 99, so that’s when I started following all Atlanta teams. Hawks sucked, so it was easy to get free tickets to games. Lots of Braves games, and some Thrashers (RIP). 

After my son was born, my wife at the time wanted to move back to KY. Honestly, this board has been a big part of me staying connected to the Hawks. 

My first connection to the Hawks was playing bball at my neighbors house when I was a kid. He was from GA, so he was always Nique, my best friend was Spud, and I was Isiah Thomas. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
29 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Saw the Danny Ainge BYU march madness game in the Omni where he hit a last second shot to win it.   dribbled full court i think.    Ralph Sampson and UVA played the other game.  

yep, he sure did.  one of my earliest basketball memories.

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Then there was Dale Murphy,

I loved Dale Murphy growing up.  had the Nike power alley poster framed in my bedroom.  Used to get in arguments all the time with Cubs fans over Andre Dawson vs Dale Murphy.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, shakes said:

I loved Dale Murphy growing up.  had the Nike power alley poster framed in my bedroom.  Used to get in arguments all the time with Cubs fans over Andre Dawson vs Dale Murphy.

As a Braves fan, I am not mad at the Cubs.. I only hate one team....well maybe two... Dem Yankees and Dem Damn Blue jays...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Diesel said:

As a Braves fan, I am not mad at the Cubs.. I only hate one team....well maybe two... Dem Yankees and Dem Damn Blue jays...

As a lifelong White Sox fan I feel about the Cubs the way Hitler felt about my people.

• Sad 3

• Premium Member

Off topic...

Maddux, Glavine, Avery and Smoltz....

Has there ever been a more dominant group than that???

Sometimes, I sit and wonder why didn't we win more??...  I know we were cheated by the Blue Jays.    But Damn.

Alright, I got to book an appointment with my therapist now. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
Just now, Diesel said:

Off topic...

Maddux, Glavine, Avery and Smoltz....

Has there ever been a more dominant group than that???

Sometimes, I sit and wonder why didn't we win more??...  I know we were cheated by the Blue Jays.    But Damn.

Alright, I got to book an appointment with my therapist now. 

yea those guys were amazing, but there has never been a more dominant pitching post season than the 2005 White Sox.  Sox pitchers strung together 4 complete games in a row to win the ALCS.

• Premium Member

OK... here you go...   SPORTS EQUIVALANCE IN ATLANTA.... Something else to argue over...  Once you see the pattern.. fill in the blanks...

Trae = Deion = Maddux  

???(Collins)  = Matty Ice = Glavine 

DJ = ???(Risen) = Chipper 

Capela =  ???  =  Pendleton 

Hunter  = ???    =   Blauser

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, shakes said:

yea those guys were amazing, but there has never been a more dominant pitching post season than the 2005 White Sox.  Sox pitchers strung together 4 complete games in a row to win the ALCS.

That's great against the same team.  And those guys were pretty good.   BUT Maddog.. was special.  In 1995, his win% and ERA were freakin historic.  I don't remember what it was, but sheez...  It would be an interesting pitching duel...  1995 Braves vs. 2005 White Sox.   I think the Braves are topheavy in this one... I don't know the Whitesox numbers or players for that matter but if there's a weak spot, it may have been Avery. 

• Premium Member
26 minutes ago, Diesel said:

That's great against the same team.  And those guys were pretty good.   BUT Maddog.. was special.  In 1995, his win% and ERA were freakin historic.  I don't remember what it was, but sheez...  It would be an interesting pitching duel...  1995 Braves vs. 2005 White Sox.   I think the Braves are topheavy in this one... I don't know the Whitesox numbers or players for that matter but if there's a weak spot, it may have been Avery. 

I think the Sox set all sorts of records in 2005 post season.  One of only two teams to go 11-1 in the post season.  Only team in MLB history to have 4 consecutive complete games in the playoffs.