• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Shooter's Mock Off-Season

ShooterSays

A disappointing 22-23 season is officially in the books. A team with sky high expectations finishes off one of the most "mid" seasons in NBA history. Most will consider this season a failure. But with failure, often comes change and new opportunities:

image.png.1965187d61b9b3180b785191b04343fc.png

As we look to the future with one of the best basketball minds at the helm, here is my mock off-season:

Trade 1 –

In: Porzingis 

Out: Collins / Bruno / Mathews / Pick #15 / Sac Pick

The “Unicorn” shot 38.5% from 3 on almost 6 attempts this past season and averaged 23/8 with 1.5 blocks/game…ranking him in the Top 10 for blocks. According to Ant Edwards, “To me, the best rim protector in the league is (Kristaps) Porzingis.” KP spreads the floor, and most importantly, can play next to OO17. Did I mention he is 7’3”… and you can’t teach that. The man just has to stay healthy.

Washington should have started tanking years ago. I think Kuzma walks in FA’cy so they can replace him with Collins and they get 2 draft assets out of the trade. 

image.thumb.png.a881226bfcc8fafb0639c32a94c230cf.png

Trade 2 –

In: TH Jr / McGee

Out: Capela

Clint has to go to make room for more playing time for OO17 and now Porzingis. I got him going to Dallas for Tim Hardaway Jr. and JaVale McGee. Open to better trades for Capela, but wanted to get shooting and some center depth. This trade accomplishes both and I think Dallas would do it for a legit starting center to pair with Luka.

image.png.33c70f8d8185cf2b4bcdfe7a8fa0f07b.png

Trade 3 –

In: Jaylen Brown

Out: Murray / Hunter

Okay, hear me out, what if Boston gets bounced by Philly and Jaylen Brown is still acting disgruntled and asks out? What if he wants to come home? This is why you need to keep DJ away from any other trade packages. Bey & Vit could be subbed instead of Hunter...but that's tough with the cap. I'd rather keep Hunter IF Ressler is okay with the tax bill.

image.png.0778e4e1b0bed4ab692202c1f99cac31.png

Final Depth Chart:

PG - Trae / Jevon Carter / 2 Way

SG - Brown / Bogi / Vit

SF - Bey / TH Jr. / Griffin

PF - Porzingis / J. Johnson

C - OO17 / McGee / 2 Way

GO HAWKS!!!

Edited by ShooterSays
  • Like 3

I don’t think you need to give up 2 first rounders for Porzingis. The Capela trade feels like a trade just to make one. But I’m all over the JB trade. Perfect backcourt mate to Trae. Only way that works is if Brown asks out and names Hawks as one his destinations. Even then, we’ll probably have to give up AJ and or picks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, hylndr11 said:

Prolly rather porgy over Ayton at this point, we can find basically anything wrong with the type of guys we need to pair with trae other than Embiid and doesnt look like that would be possible. 

Yeah Embiid would be perfect, but I could get onboard with Ayton. What I like about KP in comparison is his 3 point shooting and he averages on his career almost 1 block better / game.

The other problem is porgy can't guard the perimeter he's pretty bad on ball and atrocious off  all defender, and 00 isn't good at that either, capela and porgy are more similar defenders, we would need a big that good guard the perimeter of we went this route or keep JC and trade clint

55 minutes ago, hylndr11 said:

The other problem is porgy can't guard the perimeter he's pretty bad on ball and atrocious off  all defender, and 00 isn't good at that either, capela and porgy are more similar defenders, we would need a big that good guard the perimeter of we went this route or keep JC and trade clint

Honestly, it's something OO is going to have to get better at given his size.

And I don't doubt that he can do it after the leaps he took this past year with his jumper.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, ShooterSays said:

Trade 1 –

In: Porzingis 

Out: Collins / Bruno / Mathews / Pick #15 / Sac Pick

Nope.

That's A LOT for a guy who has 1 year left on his deal at $36 million who you'd then have to pay a ton. You don't trade #15 for an expiring contract, you need a guy with 2-3 years left on his deal. Think back to the Capela trade.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, ShooterSays said:

Trade 2 –

In: TH Jr / McGee

Out: Capela

Yuck. 

Clint has more value than that and there is no cost saving for next season.

Then you have DJ, Bogi, AJ, Bey, Hunter at SG/SF.

• Like 1

Shooter has his own thread 🧵? Has he been here long enough to warrant this type of brash behavior? I mean, there’s a pecking order, is there not? 

image.gif

7 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Yuck

🤮 Great sense of awareness by McGee though.. smart..

image.gif.98545654f9a27205aa1ab6603ab9ca2a.gif

Edited by Spud2nique
  • Haha 4

50 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Nope.

That's A LOT for a guy who has 1 year left on his deal at $36 million who you'd then have to pay a ton. You don't trade #15 for an expiring contract, you need a guy with 2-3 years left on his deal. Think back to the Capela trade.

He’s a 7 footer who can space the floor, score, and give you top 10 in blocks. To get something of value you have to give something up. And if JC had much trade value, he wouldn’t still be here. 

If you want to debate on 1 vs 2 first round picks, then tomatoe tomato. I’d happily keep 15 but doubt Washington would ever bite.

52 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Yuck. 

Clint has more value than that and there is no cost saving for next season.

Honestly struggled finding a good trade for Capela. Even ran some scenarios through 2K and there wasn’t much there. 

I’d happily keep him but I don’t think it’s a good use of resources to pay a BU center what he’s going to be making. 

48 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Shooter has his own thread 🧵? Has he been here long enough to warrant this type of brash behavior? I mean, there’s a pecking order, is there not?

True…I mean the Squawk is practically The NY Times of message boards. Only the best of the best should be able to contribute.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, ShooterSays said:

He’s a 7 footer who can space the floor, score, and give you top 10 in blocks. To get something of value you have to give something up. And if JC had much trade value, he wouldn’t still be here. 

If you want to debate on 1 vs 2 first round picks, then tomatoe tomato. I’d happily keep 15 but doubt Washington would ever bite.

This is what he was traded for, a decent PG and a bad contract.

The Dallas Mavericks traded center/power forward Kristaps Porzingis and a second-round pick to the Washington Wizards for guard Spencer Dinwiddie and forward Davis Bertans.

Wiz included Dinwiddie to salary dump Bertans. Porzingis had a decent season with the Wiz, but I dont trust his health. In the back of my mind this feels like playing well in a contract year.

5 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

This is what he was traded for, a decent PG and a bad contract.

The Dallas Mavericks traded center/power forward Kristaps Porzingis and a second-round pick to the Washington Wizards for guard Spencer Dinwiddie and forward Davis Bertans.

Wiz included Dinwiddie to salary dump Bertans. Porzingis had a decent season with the Wiz, but I dont trust his health. In the back of my mind this feels like playing well in a contract year.

I mean Dinwiddie can play. But I might be a little high on the comp then including #15, but still think it’d cost JC and that Sac pick. KP’s value is a lot higher now. 

No argument on the injury concern. It’d be a risk for sure. 

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, ShooterSays said:

I mean Dinwiddie can play. But I might be a little high on the comp then including #15, but still think it’d cost JC and that Sac pick. KP’s value is a lot higher now. 

No argument on the injury concern. It’d be a risk for sure. 

Also, Porzingas didn't like playing with ball dominant Luka and just standing at the 3pt line waiting for shots...something to consider.

What kind of money are you going yo extend him for?

28 minutes ago, ShooterSays said:

True…I mean the Squawk is practically The NY Times of message boards. Only the best of the best should be able to contribute.

:laugh1: … yes. :mellow: ze best.

27 minutes ago, ShooterSays said:

You just need him to

Get something off the roof for me I lost my ladder 🪜

• Haha 2

Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

Also, Porzingas didn't like playing with ball dominant Luka and just standing at the 3pt line waiting for shots...something to consider.

No one likes playing with Luka lol

All these centers are going to have some sort of drawback or reason they're not perfect. The one who probably is perfect for us (and 99% of teams) is Embiid and that's exactly why he's not available. 

So when you start going down the list of these centers, you have to start asking yourself which drawbacks you're okay accepting and which you aren't. 

For someone like KAT, it's the cost to get him. Minny will be out for blood in any trade after what Utah did to them. A trade for KAT takes someone like Jaylen Brown completely off the table. 

Then you have guys like Porzingis or Ayton who you can get for a reasonable price and it will probably just come down to most posters preference. I like KP's ability to drill 3's and also that he's top 10 in block...and he's 7 ft freakin' 3. But you also have the injury concern and I get that. I'm more willing to risk that than on Ayton who doesn't look like he even gives a damn right now.

• Like 2