• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Ranking the top 24 SG’s 2023-24 per HOOPSHYPE

Spud2nique

I disagree here. I’m a Hawks biased fan and everyone prolly already knows that but I’m realistic as well…

Dejounte @JayBirdHawk’s boy 👦 should be ahead of:

Beal

Bane

Maxey

Lavine

I’d even go as far as to argue that the #1 guy on the list isn’t a 2 way player. 

#3 Mitchell and Dejounte is close but I prefer DJ due to height and again defense.

#2 Ant 🐜 he’s legit, I’d put him above.

I got:

1. Jaylen Brown

2. Ant 🐜 

3. Dejounte

Who is in your top 3, 5? Who is misplaced at their respective slots? Thoughts?

https://hoopshype.com/lists/nba-rankings-predictions-top-24-shooting-guards-2023-24-season/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

I disagree here. I’m a Hawks biased fan and everyone prolly already knows that but I’m realistic as well…

Beal

Bane

Maxey

Lavine

I’d even go as far as to argue that the #1 guy on the list isn’t a 2 way player. 

#3 Mitchell and Dejounte is close but I prefer DJ due to height and again defense.

I got:

1. Jaylen Brown

2. Ant 🐜 

3. Dejounte

https://hoopshype.com/lists/nba-rankings-predictions-top-24-shooting-guards-2023-24-season/

No Devin Booker???

• Haha 1

• Moderators
12 hours ago, Diesel said:

1.  Ant Edwards 

2.   Devin Booker

3.   Jaylen Brown 

4.   Spyda Mitchell

5.   Dejounte Murray. 

HM:  Desmond Bane

I agree.  Top 3 here could be in any order.  I was super disappointed by Mitchell's playoffs though.   So i'm hopeful DJ passes him.  

• Premium Member

I think the rankings are very accurate.  Only issue I have with top 9 is I'd have DJM #8 and Maxey lower than him.

But I wouldn't have DJM over Beal or Bane.  If we were offered Bane for DJM there isn't a person here who wouldn't jump at that deal and scream no take backs.

• Confused 1

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, shakes said:

I think the rankings are very accurate.  Only issue I have with top 9 is I'd have DJM #8 and Maxey lower than him.

But I wouldn't have DJM over Beal or Bane.  If we were offered Bane for DJM there isn't a person here who wouldn't jump at that deal and scream no take backs.

What about Beal?  I wouldn't take Beal.  Seems like he's been a low impact 'star' his whole career.  

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, shakes said:

Not sure about that.  Beal is 30 this season and coming off of two seasons where he averaged 23 PPG to go with around 4.4 RPG and 6 APG which compares pretty closely to 21 PPG, 5.3 RPG and 6 APG but which DM being the significantly better defender and earning almost half of what Beal will make.   It has been 5 years since Beal has played more than 60 games and he has averaged just 54 games played over the last 4 years (40 games, 50 games, 57 games, and 60 games).  The two have even shot comparably from 3 over the last two seasons (due to Beal's ugly 30% in 2021-22).  I'm not sure there are very many who would make that trade - especially if it meant having to cut salary elsewhere to compensate.  DM also kills him on recent advanced metrics.  Not clear at all.

Bane is a stronger case - especially being bigger, a better defender than Beal, and two years younger than DM.  It is notable that DM will be significantly cheaper than Bane over their upcoming contracts but the gap isn't nearly as large as with Beal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

What about Beal?  I wouldn't take Beal.  Seems like he's been a low impact 'star' his whole career.  

I'd like to see how he does this year being on a real team for the first time in his career.    

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, AHF said:

Not sure about that.  Beal is 30 this season and coming off of two seasons where he averaged 23 PPG to go with around 4.4 RPG and 6 APG which compares pretty closely to 21 PPG, 5.3 RPG and 6 APG but which DM being the significantly better defender and earning almost half of what Beal will make.   It has been 5 years since Beal has played more than 60 games and he has averaged just 54 games played over the last 4 years (40 games, 50 games, 57 games, and 60 games).  The two have even shot comparably from 3 over the last two seasons (due to Beal's ugly 30% in 2021-22).  I'm not sure there are very many who would make that trade - especially if it meant having to cut salary elsewhere to compensate.  DM also kills him on recent advanced metrics.  Not clear at all.

Bane is a stronger case - especially being bigger, a better defender than Beal, and two years younger than DM.  It is notable that DM will be significantly cheaper than Bane over their upcoming contracts but the gap isn't nearly as large as with Beal.

I didn't factor in contracts at all.

Like I said to MacDaddy, I'd like to see how Beal does now that he's on a good team for the first time in his life.  I think he'll do very well, but we'll see.

We already saw DJM transition from bad team to a mediocre playoff team and his performance was pretty good, not great.  Let's see how Beal does with that type of move.

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, shakes said:

I didn't factor in contracts at all.

Like I said to MacDaddy, I'd like to see how Beal does now that he's on a good team for the first time in his life.  I think he'll do very well, but we'll see.

We already saw DJM transition from bad team to a mediocre playoff team and his performance was pretty good, not great.  Let's see how Beal does with that type of move.

You may well be right.  I'm just saying a LOT of Hawks fans wouldn't trade DM for Beal at this stage in their career.  Some of them would do it for performance or fan reasons.  Others might also factor in the contracts which I think have to be part of the calculus for a GM if you were considering that offer.  

I personally expect to see a decline in many of Beal's counting stats but a big increase in his scoring efficiency.

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, shakes said:

I'd like to see how he does this year being on a real team for the first time in his career.    

I mean those wiz teams should have been good if Beal (and Wall) were as good as they claimed to be.  

• Premium Member
27 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I mean those wiz teams should have been good if Beal (and Wall) were as good as they claimed to be.  

meh

36 minutes ago, AHF said:

You may well be right.  I'm just saying a LOT of Hawks fans wouldn't trade DM for Beal at this stage in their career.  Some of them would do it for performance or fan reasons.  Others might also factor in the contracts which I think have to be part of the calculus for a GM if you were considering that offer.  

I personally expect to see a decline in many of Beal's counting stats but a big increase in his scoring efficiency.

I wouldn't trade DJM for Beal.  But that doesn't mean I think DJM is better than Beal.  better fit without a doubt.

• Like 1

• Moderators
36 minutes ago, shakes said:

I wouldn't trade DJM for Beal.  But that doesn't mean I think DJM is better than Beal.  better fit without a doubt.

As a mia culpa, I read your previous post as saying that no Hawks fan would jump on a deal of Beal or Bane for DM but I see now  you only said Bane.  I still don't think everyone would do that but definitely a lot more would trade for Bane than Beal, imo.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, macdaddy said:

I agree.  Top 3 here could be in any order.  I was super disappointed by Mitchell's playoffs though.   So i'm hopeful DJ passes him.  

Mitchell is still uber talented, especially on the offensive end.   One bad series doesn't make or break a player... hello Trae fans. 

On 8/6/2023 at 2:23 PM, Spud2nique said:

Beal

Bane

Maxey

Lavine

I got:

1. Jaylen Brown

2. Ant 🐜 

3. Dejounte

To be honest I just looked at the list and the only one I would change slightly is Desmond Bane to maybe number 10 as well as bump Anfernee Simons up a little more while possibly moving Herro back some.

If we're going on talent and potential I definitely get where you're coming from but if we're going on resumes to this date than it's hard to argue many of their choices. Me personally I would move Klay Thompson back a little more but his resume warrants him atleast being where he is.

So far though their list doesn't look too far off although I do expect some changes in the near future and yes DJ definitely has a chance to cement his name in atleast top 5 of that list in the near future.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, sillent said:

Me personally I would move Klay Thompson back a little more

How bout all the way out the top 24! It’s ovaaaa 

image.gif.9f9a426c64a54f658d73da7cfd202ba3.gif

Ps I knew I liked you 😉 

Edited by Spud2nique

• Premium Member
On 8/7/2023 at 11:46 AM, AHF said:

What I love about Bane is his shooting.   What I don't love about Bane is his ball handling... even though he made a ton of assists this past year with Ja being in and out.  Everything about him says that he can be a star but I wonder how much of it is based on system.   I ranked DJ a slight bit above him because of his ability to pass.  Both are decent rebounders.   Bane is definitely the better shooter but I wonder how much of Bane's scoring is because he's on a team with no other scorers (especially when Ja ia gone). 

• Like 1