• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks looking to trade

Vol4ever

Trade every pick between now and 2030 to build a roster around Trae. Lets cash in on the potential of what those picks can become.

Either way we won't be contending until the next decade with the Lakers '29 pick🤷

Edited by skimaskway23

3 minutes ago, AHF said:

I'm glad you've conceded that picks later in time are worth less all things being equal.  The teams that Toronto dealt with are both obvious playoff teams right now that could collapse by 2029 but Toronto wanted picks sooner than that.  Just like every team does.  Which is why the 2029 pick isn't going to get you a lot when you turn around and try to deal it for a star.

Nobody rates it as a premium asset.  That is a joke.  If it was a premium asset, the Lakers would have dealt it before all the other picks they dealt so they could maximize their return in the short run.  The only reason they would be offering it to us is because it is the only pick they have left to offer.  

What matters for the Hawks right now are assets that will allow them to start next season with a core of Trae, JJ and Player to Be Named.  The Lakers 2029 pick doesn't move the ball on that front.  If our front office thinks they are going to (as in your words) "use [the Lakers 2029 pick] to facilitate a star trade for KAT or Zion or bi or whoever" they are beyond delusional.  We need a much better return than that for a trade like that and, again, it is much easier to do a trade like that with some valuable salary in it making Dejounte a better asset for that trade that the Lakers 2029 pick.  If Minnesota deals KAT it won't be to tank, it will be to try to get a good player at a lower salary.  The Lakers 2029 pick won't mean jack for them.  If NO trades Zion, they will be trying to find a piece that can be more professional and committed than Zion and help them win in the playoffs.  The Lakers 2029 pick won't help them. 

The Lakers 2029 pick is a sweetener not a core asset in any deal like that.  We need a core asset for a Murray trade in order to facilitate that next deal.  Garbage like this doesn't cut it.  Taking any deal like that is just a short walk to a complete rebuild and a Trae dump trade which is a terrible outcome for us right now.

Can you tell me a realistic core asset you think you could get for Murray? Emphasis on realistic. 

and you realize from previous deals that’s the picks the lakers were left with to deal. Both viewed by the league as great picks. They moved 1 to get off russ and get rotational players to vault them to a run. They gonna do the same with the other asset. You can disagree and are entitled to your opinion but I’m telling you how the league views those assets and it’s highly. A team like the t wolves needs picks (which they themselves done have) to draft those cheap players they need around their core. 

17 minutes ago, AHF said:

If we are going to trade for KAT, a deal that includes Dejounte gets them a core player at a discounted price.  You can add in the Kings pick this year and a couple of future second round picks and whatever else they want as filler.  You could even add the Hawks' own pick.  But the T Wolves will want a veteran player to be added to their rotation not just future picks and giving them one on a below market contract seems like a perfect fit.

I think we are much more likely to end up with KAT if we go this route than if we convert him into the garbage some team pukes up to absorb DLo's salary + the Lakers 2029 pick.

Honestly I think both would be equally as likely and DJM very well could live past the deadline and be in those talks in summer. 

But I understand what core piece you saying now. I thought you would have said a young player. For both our sake I hope they land on KAT or someone somehow with either package. 

• Like 1

Matter of fact, if the Lakers 2029 pick can land Murray, let's do a thought experiment.

We would be never give away our future picks but theoretically, what level of talent could we get for every 1st rounder we have left until say 2030? Pick swaps included of course.

Could we assemble a vet team win now roster with all that "potential"?

• Like 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, skimaskway23 said:

Matter of fact, if the Lakers 2029 pick can land Murray, let's do a thought experiment.

We would be never give away our future picks but theoretically, what level of talent could we get for every 1st rounder we have left until say 2030? Pick swaps included of course.

Could we assemble a vet team win now roster with all that "potential"?

You can't because other GMs aren't that desperate.  They will only go for a pick that far out if they can't find something useful within a much shorter timeframe.  For the same reason that we would never be able to trade the Lakers 2029 pick for a stud foundational player, our own picks would not fetch that kind of return either.  (I will say that our own picks should be more valuable than the Lakers pick.  There is no way we are signing LeBron or Shaq or someone as a FA.  The Lakers may very well do that again.)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AHF said:

You can't because other GMs aren't that desperate.  They will only go for a pick that far out if they can't find something useful within a much shorter timeframe.  For the same reason that we would never be able to trade the Lakers 2029 pick for a stud foundational player, our own picks would not fetch that kind of return either.  (I will say that our own picks should be more valuable than the Lakers pick.  There is no way we are signing LeBron or Shaq or someone as a FA.  The Lakers may very well do that again.)

My thoughts exactly. Just trying to highlight how pathetic that would be for us

Edited by skimaskway23

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Mikey said:

Okay if you guys think the pick is going to be bad (I disagree) the market has it priced as a premium asset. If they move it in the summer for someone anyways why the heck does it matter if it’s good or not. It’s essentially a three team deal just happening a bit later. If the returns of djm get you the star to help you win now who cares about these 2 months. They should have played better and not ended their season half way through 

If we still land KAT or Zion in the summer with whatever we get for DJM that makes any deal for DJM worth it.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Sothron said:

If we still land KAT or Zion in the summer with whatever we get for DJM that makes any deal for DJM worth it.

Big IF on KAT and Zion.  

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

Big IF on KAT and Zion.  

It is worth the risk to try to me. The only other logical solution if that doesn't work is trade Trae to SA for our picks plus some of theirs and start the rebuild over again.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Sothron said:

It is worth the risk to try to me. The only other logical solution if that doesn't work is trade Trae to SA for our picks plus some of theirs and start the rebuild over again.

Can't believe we went from pairing KAT with DJM and Trae to hoping and praying a DJM trade for picks will give us KAT in the offseason.

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, Diesel said:

There's nothing wrong with Murray.  Murray is a better player now with a good contract.  I don't see the value in trading him for picks.  Moreover, the picks will never be as valuable as the player.   I am just in adamant disagreement with the ideas that we must trade DJ and that Trae and DJ doesn't work.   Landry needs to do his job better and put together a Frontcourt that can enhance Trae+DJ. 

I think you misunderstood my friend i don't want to move murray either.  I want to add a 3rd star to him, trae, and jalen.  I was more so saying i have no issues taking picks back if we absolutely have to trade him because the FO is stupid.   I would rather picks back than meh or mediocre players is more so what i was getting at because those picks are easier to move in a trade for a star than meh players they prob. don't want back in trade for said star.

45 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Remember when the Knicks had dreams of Zion, bron, kd, and Kyrie?

17 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Rui straight up asschecks. He's terrible for modern Basketball. I would take everyone over him including Bey. I hate his game. 

Better college career than OO, bettee scorer than Capela, can shoot the 3 better than all Hawks bigs combined. Has more playoff experience than OO. Played alongside one of the greatest to ever play the game. 

17 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Rui straight up asschecks. He's terrible for modern Basketball. I would take everyone over him including Bey. I hate his game. 

Hawks have no value pieces other teams need. Why wouldn't you want Rui? His mid range is easy buckets all day. Greater than Hunter, OO, Capela. Rebuild young Hawks would benefit with Rui and Jalen. Hell, try to Emoni Bates. This team as is is not going anywhere. You see how much the Bucks care? Damn near 20 games over .500 and still aren't satisfied.

Hawks need to rebuild now because Orlando is locked in now. The Heat aren't going anywhere. Boston is a lock. 76ers are scary. Once Cavs figure out a replacement for Garland they will be serious. Hawks are a stick in the mud. 

• Like 1

Waiting for KAT or Zion to be available is a pipe dream. Whenever I see that I roll my eyes hard.

just go and be a fan of those players on their team. It’s not realistic for the hawks until it is.

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

Waiting for KAT or Zion to be available is a pipe dream. Whenever I see that I roll my eyes hard.

just go and be a fan of those players on their team. It’s not realistic for the hawks until it is.

Yeah, I see it at grasping at straws.  Both could be available but it'd take some pretty big collapses at both spots for that to happen.  Not something to hang one's hat on.

Equally ridiculous, for me, is the idea that we should tear it all down for 'our picks back'.  Folks are way too 2k with that.  The history of our current front office should not inspire confidence they'll make the right moves in that scenario.

We just need to make shrewd moves with the frontcourt guys not named JJ.  Pick teams apart that are looking to blow up.  Make advantageous trades with any playoff team that still values a capela or a bey.

A preponderance of smart moves is what saves us.  Not these hail mary non-plans fueled by hopes and dreams. 

Edited by kg01
  • Like 4