• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I've been watching the 2024 NBA Draft class and it's been... weaker than usual

NBASupes

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

If he doesn't physically grow, his bust potential is off the charts. He just isn't athletic enough as 2 and is way too small for a 3. That said, he's high risk. 

if he doesn't grow then yes.   However, just look at his brother.  He's gonna grow and get a lot better, almost guaranteed.  Once he puts on weight he's got great size for the wing.   I'm willing to bet on the Williams family genes based on how good JDub has turned out to be.  CDub was better than JDub at the same age and he's got a bigger frame.

Given his lineage I would not put him in the high risk category.

Just now, shakes said:

if he doesn't grow then yes.   However, just look at his brother.  He's gonna grow and get a lot better, almost guaranteed.  Once he puts on weight he's got great size for the wing.   I'm willing to bet on the Williams family genes based on how good JDub has turned out to be.  CDub was better than JDub at the same age and he's got a bigger frame.

One of the things I've said on another site is there is this assumption he will grow because look at his brother but he doesn't have the same frame as his brother. His frame is more like Brandon Miller. Jaden frame is a bigger McCollum. That's why his boom potential as off the charts. 

I think this might be the Marquis to Jeff Teague situation. 

31 minutes ago, KB21 said:

To recap, picks 1-18 in this mock draft:

1. Detroit Pistons - Zach Rissacher, SF, France
  2. Houston Rockets - Alex Sarr, C, France
  3. Washington Wizards - Nikola Topic, PG, Serbia
  4. Charlotte Hornets - Reed Shepherd, PG, Kentucky
  5. San Antonio Spurs - Matas Buzelis, SF, Ignite
  6. Portland Trailblazers - Ron Holland, SF, Ignite
  7. San Antonio Spurs - Reed Dillingham, PG, Kentucky
  8. Memphis Grizzliers - Donovan Clingan, C, Connecticut
  9. Utah Jazz - Stephon Castle, SG, Connecticut
  10. Atlanta Hawks - Cody Willims, SF, Colorado
  11. Chicago Bulls - Dalton Knecht, SG, Tennessee
  12. Oklahoma City Thunder - Kyle Filipowski, PF, Duke
  13. Portland Trailblazers - Tidjane Salaun, PF, France
  14. New Orleans Pelicans - Jakobe Walter, SG, Baylor
  15. Miami Heat - Jared McCain, PG, Duke
  16. Philadelphia 76ers - Isaiah Collier, PG, USC
  17. Toronto Raptors - Tristan Da Silva, SF, Colorado
  18. Atlanta Hawks - Yves Missi, C, Baylor

Sorry buddy, but if you have Edey available at 10 or 18, you take him.  He's going to struggle to defend in space and will need a year+ to adapt to the pro game but he's a problem inside 12 feet that few people are.

Right now, we don't have a center with Edey's potential and its our biggest weakness.  You take Edey at 10 and hope he reaches his potential.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Sorry buddy, but if you have Edey available at 10 or 18, you take him.  He's going to struggle to defend in space and will need a year+ to adapt to the pro game but he's a problem inside 12 feet that few people are.

Right now, we don't have a center with Edey's potential and its our biggest weakness.  You take Edey at 10 and hope he reaches his potential.

No way in hell am I taking a sub package player who will be very limited defensively with the 10th pick.  

1 minute ago, KB21 said:

No way in hell am I taking a sub package player who will be very limited defensively with the 10th pick.  

Neither are any of us okay with that. But that player is not Zach Edey. 

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

One of the things I've said on another site is there is this assumption he will grow because look at his brother but he doesn't have the same frame as his brother. His frame is more like Brandon Miller. Jaden frame is a bigger McCollum. That's why his boom potential as off the charts. 

I think this might be the Marquis to Jeff Teague situation. 

I never saw his brother at the same age so don't know for sure, but CDub definitely appears to be much lankier.  It all comes down to him putting in the work.  As long as he follows his big brother's lead, it shouldn't be a problem.

I wouldn't hesitate to grab him if he dropped to ATL.  I would consider him with a top 3 pick in this draft.

Just now, shakes said:

I never saw his brother at the same age so don't know for sure, but CDub definitely appears to be much lankier.  It all comes down to him putting in the work.  As long as he follows his big brother's lead, it shouldn't be a problem.

I wouldn't hesitate to grab him if he dropped to ATL.  I would consider him with a top 3 pick in this draft.

We will see. I just see Cody as a deep fall in the draft. 

• Moderators

If that mock played out we could have both Williams and Edey which would be a very interesting draft.  Very risk/reward tilted.

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, AHF said:

If that mock played out we could have both Williams and Edey which would be a very interesting draft.  Very risk/reward tilted.

I wouldn't touch Edey with an Edey sized pole.  Unplayable on the defensive end.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, shakes said:

I wouldn't touch Edey with an Edey sized pole.  Unplayable on the defensive end.

How?

As a drop defender, he's protects the paint, the rim, he's an elite box out and defensive rebounding package not to mention, tremendous mental acuity. These are three of the five most important things teams look for in a center. 

That baseline means at the very least, he's going to be a solid drop defender. Not as good as any of our current 5s or even as good as Hawks Dedmon but better than Damian Jones and Alex Len. 

It's hilarious how off the wall Edey takes are from those who don't like him. 

You would think he's Tacko Fall when they mention him

Edited by NBASupes

1 hour ago, shakes said:

Agree.  He's not even going to be a strong drop defender because he's not a great rim protector.  He simply lacks the quickness and agility to adjust even in a short area.  Don't let some of these Edey fans convince you that he will be Rudy Gobert defensively.  He's not even close.  Rudy in his prime could guard in space.  Edey can't guard in space AT ALL.  The issue with his drop defense is because he is so slow transitioning from above the free throw line to the basket.  Slow, slow, slow.  Teams are going to target and take advantage of this in the NBA.  

• Like 1

I'm convinced that those who want Edey and want to bring back the low post offense that has gone the way of the dodo bird are the same people who rail against launch angle, fastball velocities, and spin rates in baseball.  

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

How?

As a drop defender, he's protects the paint, the rim, he's an elite box out and defensive rebounding package not to mention, tremendous mental acuity. These are three of the five most important things teams look for in a center. 

That baseline means at the very least, he's going to be a solid drop defender. Not as good as any of our current 5s or even as good as Hawks Dedmon but better than Damian Jones and Alex Len. 

It's hilarious how off the wall Edey takes are from those who don't like him. 

You would think he's Tacko Fall when they mention him

How?

Can't guard in space and will get eaten up in the PnR.    This isn't rocket science.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
22 minutes ago, KB21 said:

There may not be a worse defensive pairing than Trae and Edey.  Good lord that would be shitastic.  

plus you want some other sucker/team to take Edey so Trae can exploit him in the PnR if teams are dumb enough to play him.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KB21 said:

To recap, picks 1-18 in this mock draft:

1. Detroit Pistons - Zach Rissacher, SF, France
  2. Houston Rockets - Alex Sarr, C, France
  3. Washington Wizards - Nikola Topic, PG, Serbia
  4. Charlotte Hornets - Reed Shepherd, PG, Kentucky
  5. San Antonio Spurs - Matas Buzelis, SF, Ignite
  6. Portland Trailblazers - Ron Holland, SF, Ignite
  7. San Antonio Spurs - ROB Dillingham, PG, Kentucky
  8. Memphis Grizzliers - Donovan Clingan, C, Connecticut
  9. Utah Jazz - Stephon Castle, SG, Connecticut
  10. Atlanta Hawks - Cody Willims, SF, Colorado
  11. Chicago Bulls - Dalton Knecht, SG, Tennessee
  12. Oklahoma City Thunder - Kyle Filipowski, PF, Duke
  13. Portland Trailblazers - Tidjane Salaun, PF, France
  14. New Orleans Pelicans - Jakobe Walter, SG, Baylor
  15. Miami Heat - Jared McCain, PG, Duke
  16. Philadelphia 76ers - Isaiah Collier, PG, USC
  17. Toronto Raptors - Tristan Da Silva, SF, Colorado
  18. Atlanta Hawks - Yves Missi, C, Baylor

Sorry to be that guy. I hate myself. 

• Haha 1

• Premium Member

I trust Landry to take someone with high upside and let our staff develop them.  I don't know who that is in this draft, but we have leeway with the rotation next year to let guys develop in college park.  Look at Vit recently, looking like a serviceable bench piece on both ends.  I'm excited for year 2 under Snyder, even more excited for years 3 and 4.

1 hour ago, shakes said:

How?

Can't guard in space and will get eaten up in the PnR.    This isn't rocket science.

You sure?

The metrics says otherwise. The film has blemishes but we see the metrics don't lie

Metrics wise, he doesn't have bad stats defending on the perimeter. The tape isn't pretty but he's not a total liability. There is promise

1 hour ago, shakes said:

plus you want some other sucker/team to take Edey so Trae can exploit him in the PnR if teams are dumb enough to play him.

It's not gonna be anywhere near as bad as you think. Trae has improved a lot as a PnR defender this year. He's still ass off the ball but Edey rim and paint protection helps in that area. 

Ya'll think Edey is way worse on defense than he actually is. The data, film, and possession by possession play just doesn't bad that statement. 

25 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

I trust Landry to take someone with high upside and let our staff develop them.  I don't know who that is in this draft, but we have leeway with the rotation next year to let guys develop in college park.  Look at Vit recently, looking like a serviceable bench piece on both ends.  I'm excited for year 2 under Snyder, even more excited for years 3 and 4.

Promise is all about the player. Bruno and Vit are known hard workers. It has to be the right people. They have to be smart, understand and take to coaching, willing to always improve. If anything, this makes me want guys like Edey and Kolek even more than if I wasn't a supporter of them with Hawks University. They would be clear and obvious fits from a personality stance.