• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Zach Edey Conundrum - Could Edey be the next great Atlanta Hawk or is he the next Cam Reddish

NBASupes

16 hours ago, NBASupes said:

The pg even looks like ur watching Trae back with capella a few years ago.  You can easily see the fit because of Trae, but that is the key.  This won't be a high bb iq team running these type of play but it won't have to be, just need those shooter on the perimeter.   Just doesn't seem like Quinn would want to to run this stuff, but maybe he can adjust and come up with something that is unique 

Edited by hylndr11
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, hylndr11 said:

The pg even looks like ur watching Trae back with capella a few years ago.  You can easily see the fit because of Trae, but that is the key.  This won't be a high bb iq team running these type of play but it won't have to be, just need those shooter on the perimeter.   Just doesn't seem like Quinn would want to to run this stuff, but maybe he can adjust and come up with something that is unique 

Quin runs a lot of this stuff right now with Capela. In fact, we run more variations that Purdue can't run because outside of Smith, they simply lack the personnel. We also try this with OO but he's always late for some reason. Bruno is on time but he just doesn't have the size and his screens are all over the place. Bruno just lacks too much body control on his screens and his decision making for the type of screen is off as well and I know this because OO nor Clint have this issue. 

This is why I keep saying, idk how people say this isn't a modern NBA center prospect. He does more modern things offensively than every center in this class and it's not close but people are obsessed with shooting. 

Edited by NBASupes

I can see some cool stuff we could do with JJ bringing the ball up and this guy forcing teams to play too much drop coverage and then JJ dishing out to whomever is open outside.  Also some games u can play where these two could manage enough attention.to where Trae really can run around more freely and start getting a better feel for off ball stuff 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, hylndr11 said:

I can see some cool stuff we could do with JJ bringing the ball up and this guy forcing teams to play too much drop coverage and then JJ dishing out to whomever is open outside.  Also some games u can play where these two could manage enough attention.to where Trae really can run around more freely and start getting a better feel for off ball stuff 

I've said something like this early in this thread that Edey will take away Trae off ball weakness because of his movement gravity. This will remove Trae -10 which is a killer considering how value Trae offense is and it will basically turn Trae into a perennial MVP candidate along with Edey. He's essentially, Trae's Draymond. 

Posted (edited)

Edey essentially from my personal scout and his fit with the Hawks is worth +30 extra wins for us. 

The next closest, Clingan at +10.

Next closest after that, Risacher +1.5 

A part of this is due the massive need at center but the other is due to these two players but Edey value removes -10 from Trae. That maybe his biggest value period. He can't do that for any other team but ours. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Edey essentially from my personal guard and fit is worth +30 extra wins for us. 

The next closest, Clingan at +10.

Next closest after that, Risacher +1.5 

A part of this is due the massive need at center but the other is due to these two players but Edey value removes -10 from Trae. That maybe his biggest value period. He can't do that for any other team but ours. 

So as of today, Atlanta holds picks 10 and 20.  If Edey is more valuable to the Hawks than any other team, should they just pick up a 2nd and draft him in the 2nd?  If it works out, it's the steal of the draft.  If it doesn't, no big deal.  But if they use a lottery pick or even the 20 pick on him when the consensus is he's not a 1st rounder, Hawks either look like geniuses or idiots depending on how it plays out.  

5 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

So as of today, Atlanta holds picks 10 and 20.  If Edey is more valuable to the Hawks than any other team, should they just pick up a 2nd and draft him in the 2nd?  If it works out, it's the steal of the draft.  If it doesn't, no big deal.  But if they use a lottery pick or even the 20 pick on him when the consensus is he's not a 1st rounder, Hawks either look like geniuses or idiots depending on how it plays out.  

I believe Edey will be a top 10-24 regardless if it's the Hawks or not. At the end of the day, he adds high end rotational value as a backup to any team that valued drop coverage centers and he obviously adds no value to those who don't. 

As Keith Smith stated, he's getting comps to Kessler in NBA circles 

Go to the 9:10 mark

I know you will see sites where he's in the late 1st or early 2nd but ESPN/DX got him around 13-15 overall. I believe that's probably his landing spot unless the Hawks which they should and in my eyes must do and thru take him at 10th overall. 

In my eyes, there are two picks that are obvious. 

Memphis drafting Clingan at 6. 

Atlanta drafting Edey at 10. 

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

I'm OK taking Edey at 20, definitely not at 10.

There is also the possibility of trade down options if available to get another pick.

37 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I'm OK taking Edey at 20, definitely not at 10.

There is also the possibility of trade down options if available to get another pick.

You gotta get him. Clingan is the only fall back at center that even adds value next year. The rest don't. 

• Premium Member
Just now, NBASupes said:

You gotta get him. Clingan is the only fall back at center that even adds value next year. The rest don't. 

Not at 10 I don't.  

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Not at 10 I don't.  

I disagree. If someone gets him at 11 like OKC and we are stuck with limited choices and there is no trade in the horizon at the 5, we are essentially f***ed for the next two years then the next 5 years as Trae will be gone. Let's not overthink obvious shit. 

Let's never do Marvin Williams over CP3 again. But but, he's too small. He doesn't have the size. We passed on the Point Gawd to go with "upside". 

Take the proven successful player that fits your best player like a Cinderella glass slipper. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Thanks 1

I'm going to stand by what I've said.  Edey is not a fit for the Hawks for two reasons:

1.  Trae is going to prefer a quicker player as the rim runner on his pick and roll and someone that routinely plays above the rim as a lob threat.

2.  Quin wants to get into his sets offensively and run the plays fast, and Edey is going to slow that process down.

Yes, he can screen and understands how to use his body to position himself as open, but defenses will sag defenders into the paint and leave him wide open on the perimeter.  Similar to how Clint causes congestion in the lane for Trae, Edey will ultimately make the lane very congested for Trae.  

If he moved like a younger version of Rudy Gobert, I could potentially see it with Quin.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

At the end of the day, he adds high end rotational value as a backup to any team that valued drop coverage centers and he obviously adds no value to those who don't.

So as a backup is his value? Is that what you're saying?

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

As Keith Smith stated, he's getting comps to Kessler in NBA circles 

From the Video:

Not as quick as Kessler, Kessler moves much quicker

Edy has better touch around the rim, score inside well, but doesn't step out and shoot the ball

He is a traditional Old School player that only plays on the block

Will he be able to step out to 15 feet, 3 pt line ala Brook Lopez at some point?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

I'm going to stand by what I've said.  Edey is not a fit for the Hawks for two reasons:

1.  Trae is going to prefer a quicker player as the rim runner on his pick and roll and someone that routinely plays above the rim as a lob threat.

2.  Quin wants to get into his sets offensively and run the plays fast, and Edey is going to slow that process down.

Yes, he can screen and understands how to use his body to position himself as open, but defenses will sag defenders into the paint and leave him wide open on the perimeter.  Similar to how Clint causes congestion in the lane for Trae, Edey will ultimately make the lane very congested for Trae.  

If he moved like a younger version of Rudy Gobert, I could potentially see it with Quin.

1. Clint is Trae best PnR threat in his career and he's a patience rim runner and even then, Edey has tremendous catch radius and hands which make him a completely different type of lob threat. Also, please, let's not forget how value screens are. Edey is an elite screen setter. In the class of Sabonis and Gobert. That's a massive value add especially for attacking as a PnR ball handler for anyone, much less a juggernaut like Trae. 

2. Purdue offense is fairly quick when they run their offense through Smith with Edey as the helper. So I don't find this to be a valid statement. Yes, it's slow when it's high lows and running through Edey but it's also extremely efficient and effective. Our pace has gone down without Trae as we have to rely on ball movement to score. What's our pace without Trae, 23rd and it's not like our offense is that bad. We are what, 14th since Trae been out?

They can sag all day, if he's coming at you with his gravity and ability to finish and draw fouls, you got to keep him out of the restricted area. That's not a worry for anyone with Capela. Poor hands, more of a lob threat, no one is worried about Clint on the roll and it's not a lob. He doesn't have the ability to finish through contact due to his coordination and body control for his size. Edey does and he can draw fouls at an elite rate. 

The problem we have is you see Edey as this scrub who's just big. You don't see him for what he really is. A movement monster who has movement as a big and he has the low post movement we haven't seen since LA/Miami Shaq. 

Every year, we see Clint at the bottom of finishing at the rim and you wonder why teams sag. Come on @KB21, let's be honest, don't lie to yourself. We got his data and his film. This is obvious to a blind man. His production is his production. If he couldn't do it, then the data would show it. 

28 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

From the Video:

Not as quick as Kessler, Kessler moves much quicker

Edy has better touch around the rim, score inside well, but doesn't step out and shoot the ball

He is a traditional Old School player that only plays on the block

Will he be able to step out to 15 feet, 3 pt line ala Brook Lopez at some point?

He's a movement big and those aren't old school by nature of how the game played at the time. Even low post movement has only been a thing from Shaq 01-06. Likely due to the fact that you have to be great a getting position on the block and of course, that's something Edey is renowned for.

what do you think?

• Premium Member
On 2/23/2024 at 5:17 PM, hylndr11 said:

At this point we are so bereft of size I'm fine with drafting a tree and planting it anywhere in the paint as long as someone will come by and water it.

How did I miss this :laugh1::laugh1:

On 2/27/2024 at 9:51 AM, NBASupes said:

He does have Shades of Capela. The athleticism and he moves well. The rebounding isn't there nor is passing. He's somewhat a blackhole. I call him diet Capela.

...and this :laugh1:

On 2/27/2024 at 9:54 AM, NBASupes said:

I like to forget the D12 era in Atlanta. Horrendous basketball 

:laugh1:

I'm re-reading this thread...and I missed some chuckles.

I'm going to make it a point to watch Edey in the tournament.  Highlight videos are ok but they show the best of everything. I want to watch the action at game speed to see where a player is in the scheme and how well he does or doesn't do.

• Like 1