Zach Edey Conundrum - Could Edey be the next great Atlanta Hawk or is he the next Cam Reddish

NBASupes

12 hours ago, Hawkmoor said:

His entire tournament has been like that.  The refs and media are ACTIVELY trying to make this guy be great. 😀  I mean he is hooking players like you said, jumping over folks backs for rebounds and setting moving screens and the whistle is silent.  You barely touch HIM and its free throws.   All this for a bench player in the NBA who might give you a few minutes.

come on....you could quite literally call a foul against whomever is guarding Edey every trip down the floor...

This thread needs some honesty. I'll start.

Zach Edey has some built in limitations (mobility, outside shooting and that big man fear he's too big for his feet to the take the pounding).

The game is called different against players like Edey who are hacked, undercut, held, hooked on almost every attempt.  When you are going to miss obvious calls that benefit a player, the whistle has to be loose going the other way as well. You can't call every time Edey breathes on someone if you are not going to call the 30 fouls against him that go uncalled every game.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, thecampster said:

come on....you could quite literally call a foul against whomever is guarding Edey every trip down the floor...

This thread needs some honesty. I'll start.

Zach Edey has some built in limitations (mobility, outside shooting and that big man fear he's too big for his feet to the take the pounding).

The game is called different against players like Edey who are hacked, undercut, held, hooked on almost every attempt.  When you are going to miss obvious calls that benefit a player, the whistle has to be loose going the other way as well. You can't call every time Edey breathes on someone if you are not going to call the 30 fouls against him that go uncalled every game.

LBJ in his prime got hacked every time drove to the basket.

Shaq used to get hacked all game. 

It's what happens when you are a giant at your position. No one can play you straight up so you get hacked. By nature refs aren't going to call 40 fouls on your defenders. So it's a valid strategy. 

But yeah, the guys that don't like him think he gets away with everything and never gets fouled. LOL

• Like 1

I know there is the height advantage, but I can’t wait to see when Burns goes up against Edey on Saturday. not sure what the game plan will be - but I want to see if Edey is able to keep It up against someone as strong as Burns is. 

if they matchup quite a bit, and Edey continues the dominance, I may start being swayed into buying in on him as a pro. I just see him bully a lot of smaller guys in ways that won’t work as a pro. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

LBJ in his prime got hacked every time drove to the basket.

Shaq used to get hacked all game. 

It's what happens when you are a giant at your position. No one can play you straight up so you get hacked. By nature refs aren't going to call 40 fouls on your defenders. So it's a valid strategy. 

But yeah, the guys that don't like him think he gets away with everything and never gets fouled. LOL

They hated Shaq for it and hate Embiid for it. 

1 hour ago, thecampster said:

D@MN IT!!! you got me on my soapbox.  Edit gets about 40 touches per game. Do you honestly think he's only gets fouled 9.6 times per game.

Not in the least.   I think he fouls more than that himself that goes uncalled.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, h4wkfan said:

I know there is the height advantage, but I can’t wait to see when Burns goes up against Edey on Saturday. not sure what the game plan will be - but I want to see if Edey is able to keep It up against someone as strong as Burns is. 

if they matchup quite a bit, and Edey continues the dominance, I may start being swayed into buying in on him as a pro. I just see him bully a lot of smaller guys in ways that won’t work as a pro. 

Edey is going to dominate Burns lol... that guy has fulfilled all his potential but he's not a special basketball talent.  My guess is NC state will be put away before half time.  Purdue has enough tape to not double Burns and let him kill you with passing and Edey will be able to handle him fine 1on1.  Love NC States run but I'll be shocked if they win the next one.

31 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Edey is going to dominate Burns lol... that guy has fulfilled all his potential but he's not a special basketball talent.  My guess is NC state will be put away before half time.  Purdue has enough tape to not double Burns and let him kill you with passing and Edey will be able to handle him fine 1on1.  Love NC States run but I'll be shocked if they win the next one.

Heck.  They have already called three fouls on Burns before the game has even started.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

Edey has the ceiling of Shaq and the floor of Tacko Fall

I'd take him just on the pure fact of having him against Wemby

Given how quick, mobile, and athletic Wemby is, I imagine he would be a tough matchup for Edey.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dream a little dream with me.

Hawks retain Bruno as their #1 center.  They draft Zach Edey as their #2 center.  Who do they sign for their #3 center?

I know.  The better the Hawks play, the further from the #1 pick they will be and the longer he stays in the current tournament, the closer he moves toward that #1 pick.  Zach Edey and the Hawks are moving further and further apart.

:bb:

14 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Dream a little dream with me.

Hawks retain Bruno as their #1 center.  They draft Zach Edey as their #2 center.  Who do they sign for their #3 center?

I know.  The better the Hawks play, the further from the #1 pick they will be and the longer he stays in the current tournament, the closer he moves toward that #1 pick.  Zach Edey and the Hawks are moving further and further apart.

:bb:

So where did OO go in this dream?  Edey isn't going in the lottery, much less going #1 overall.

28 minutes ago, KB21 said:

So where did OO go in this dream?  Edey isn't going in the lottery, much less going #1 overall.

He got traded or moved to back-up PF, depending on what deals might be out there.

No, Edey isn't going #1 but, as his team continues to win, he moves closer while, if the Hawks continue to win, they move further and further away from the #1 pick.  They were about #10 but they may end up at #14.  

🤔

20 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

He got traded or moved to back-up PF, depending on what deals might be out there.

No, Edey isn't going #1 but, as his team continues to win, he moves closer while, if the Hawks continue to win, they move further and further away from the #1 pick.  They were about #10 but they may end up at #14.  

🤔

Doesn't matter where Atlanta picks.  Edey will be on the board if they foolishly want him.  

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Doesn't matter where Atlanta picks.  Edey will be on the board if they foolishly want him.  

Maybe.  Maybe not.  The further we move away from #1, the more chances are that another NBA team will take him.  Yep.  Someone will pick him, whichever spot he falls to.  Not everyone will be as low as you are on where he will be drafted.

:smug:

Just now, GameTime said:

Someone needs to get fired if Bruno is the starting Center going into next year's training camp.

Yeah.  I'm fine with Bruno getting the chance to be OO's back up next year.  I think his played late this season has earned him that chance.  

OO is definitely the starter going into next year though.  

• Like 1