• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Zach Edey Conundrum - Could Edey be the next great Atlanta Hawk or is he the next Cam Reddish

NBASupes

Posted (edited)

He's next level at screening, 1v1 offense, finishing in the paint, offensive rebounding, boxing out. He's not just elite at it, he's miles better than anyone in the NBA right now at it. We praising Clingan for only giving up 28 when it mattered while his team completely gassed Edey. Come on man, let's acknowledge that Edey is special at what he's special at. He would do wonders for Trae, Murray, Hunter, and JJ. Especially Trae. 

Dude put up 37 and 10 on one of the best defensive centers prospect in the last 20 years. Clingan metrics are off the charts on D. He made Lively and Filip his personal bitch. No one can guard him 1v1.

Edited by NBASupes

Seems to me that for those who don't like him, nothing he did or will do will ever be good enough to sway your opinion.  And if you do like him, it's easy to see his dominance and the things he does really well and use that to justify liking him.  He's that polarizing prospect that has a lot of fans and a lot of haters and not much in the middle, imo.  

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, thecampster said:

SBnation updated draft projection has Edey to Atlanta with #20 via the Kings.

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2024/4/9/24120282/nba-mock-draft-2024-post-march-madness-ncaa-tournament-first-round-projection

that's gotta be the worst mock I've seen yet.    CDub lasting to #13?  Topic #1?   Yea, that's a terrible mock.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Mikey said:

It was the perfect gameplan if you watched Purdue all tourney. Teams couldn’t stop edey so they helped and would kill teams with open 3s. They limited them to what 7 threes last night knowing if they took it out clingan can play edey straight. You want slow 2s every possession take it 

Good game plan but UConn was the only team that had a center to actually execute that game plan.  No other team had the size or height to just 1on1 Edey, so once again, nice coaching and all, but the level of talent on UConn was just far superior.  

I told my buddy last night during the second half, while watching that awful basketball, I don't think I've ever looked forwarded to seeing Garrison Matthews play more than right now lol

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Seems to me that for those who don't like him, nothing he did or will do will ever be good enough to sway your opinion.  And if you do like him, it's easy to see his dominance and the things he does really well and use that to justify liking him.  He's that polarizing prospect that has a lot of fans and a lot of haters and not much in the middle, imo.  

Those of us who do not like him see how his athletic limitations will affect his outlook in the NBA.  Those that like him refuse to admit that he has those athletic limitations.  

3 hours ago, shakes said:

never good when I need @NBASupes to come in and explain my jokes to people.    Never good, but always appreciated 🙂

For some reason I was thinking Jalen Hardy (g-league alum and now on Mavs) versus Jaden Ivey.  My bad.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Just now, Packfill said:

For some reason I was thinking Jalen Hardy (g-league alum and now on Mavs) versus Jaden Ivey.  My bad.

no worries, my jokes aren't that funny so you didn't miss much.

2 hours ago, AHF said:

This is such strange framing.  There has been extensive discussion from a lot of different people on this thread and even Edey's most zealous advocates admit his physical limitations.  The real debate is to what extent they will affect his outlook in the NBA.  They are different players and will likely have very different careers but this is kind of like with Trae.  Everyone admits his limitations but his biggest advocates thought he would be strongly positive in spite of them while his biggest detractors thought he would be a bench player because he wouldn't be able to get off his shot or defend anyone.  

So I'm fence riding on Edey.  I see the offensive upside and hear the different views on whether his defensive limitations will make him unplayable or whether they will be something the team has to deal with but can deal with since the positive outweigh the negatives.  But to say that anyone refuses to admit he has any athletic limitations is just strange because I literally can't think of anyone who hasn't raised their hand and admitted to him being limited in some important ways in mobility.

Seems a lot like an "agree with me or you're wrong" position. IDK

Edited by REHawksFan

3 minutes ago, Marvin24Williams said:

Bring on Edey. I've had enough of Capela

You will have the same issues.  No perimeter offensive game.  Can’t create off the dribble. Lacks foot speed to switch and defend on perimeter.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, KB21 said:

You will have the same issues.  No perimeter offensive game.  Can’t create off the dribble. Lacks foot speed to switch and defend on perimeter.  

Same issues huh? Edey can score easy baskets. Edey can score tough baskets. Edey is an elite screener. Edey has elite touch, Capela has poor touch. Edey has potential as a shooter, Capela doesn't. Edey is an elite Helper, Capela used to be a good one but now is inconsistent at it. There are massive differences especially offensively. 

Edey has instant offensive value to any team he lands but put him with us and life just becomes massively a lot easier on offense. Clint came in a phonemenal athlete for a center who could run the floor like a gazelle and had a terrific frame but needed physical and mental growth. He's now at the stage where he has to adjust his game and it's limited as his athleticism has drop considerably. 

I still believe in CC on defense but offensively, he's becoming a liability which he used to never be. It's nearly impossible for helpers to be liabilities but Capela is just inconsistent these days as he's aged. 

Edited by NBASupes

His offensive value is derived mostly from post up possessions.  Those post up opportunities are going to go from 17-18 a game that he’s getting now to around 3-4 a game in the NBA.  That will be even less with the Hawks, who just do not post up their bigs.  

Sure.  He’s a great screen setter, but his value after setting the screen is limited because he’s so slow when he rolls to the basket and he can’t score on the move.  He has to stop, gather himself, and then go through all his slow moves while getting away with elbowing the defender in the face.  NBA teams aren’t going to roll him just to post him up like Purdue did.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, KB21 said:

His offensive value is derived mostly from post up possessions.  Those post up opportunities are going to go from 17-18 a game that he’s getting now to around 3-4 a game in the NBA.  That will be even less with the Hawks, who just do not post up their bigs.  

Sure.  He’s a great screen setter, but his value after setting the screen is limited because he’s so slow when he rolls to the basket and he can’t score on the move.  He has to stop, gather himself, and then go through all his slow moves while getting away with elbowing the defender in the face.  NBA teams aren’t going to roll him just to post him up like Purdue did.  

Im not an Edey believer (not a hater either), but it feels like youre judging him based on what he is and Supes judging him based on what he can be.  The guy only started playing ball when he was 17, so he probably has more upside than your typical 4 year college prospect.  I dont know what that looks like but I would be shocked if he wasnt adding to his bag under NBA development— especially under Snyder and his team all the way down to College Park staff.