• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Zach Edey Conundrum - Could Edey be the next great Atlanta Hawk or is he the next Cam Reddish

NBASupes

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BangHolman said:

Edey performed much better than I anticipated at the combine, but I'm not sure he's anything more than Boban in today's NBA still. If this were the 90s and early-00s, sure, but I don't see it right now.

I really don't know how you can't see it. It's crystal clear to me

Edited by NBASupes

1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

I just took it from this article showing Boban's max vertical of 23" compared to 31" for Edey.  That's a pretty huge difference that i think highlights what you can watch yourself.  Boban is much stiffer and less agile to me. 

Get to know Boban Marjanovic - Pounding The Rock

They are essentially the same player.  Slow.  Can't change directions.  Cannot navigate traffic.  

18 minutes ago, KB21 said:

They are essentially the same player.  Slow.  Can't change directions.  Cannot navigate traffic.  

How do you reconcile he outperformed Clingan, Missi and Sarr at the combine?  The only one of the big centers to beat him in speed/agility drills was Ware???

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, thecampster said:

How do you reconcile he outperformed Clingan, Missi and Sarr at the combine?  The only one of the big centers to beat him in speed/agility drills was Ware???

Pretty easy.  It's very clear that they all move much better than he does on the court.  It doesn't take someone with 20/20 vision to see that.  Sarr is the fastest 7-footer I have ever seen.  It's obvious on tape that he moves better, is more agile, changes direction better, has more vertical pop...etc.  

I saw Edey's run.  He runs like the clunky f***er he is on the court.  

1 minute ago, KB21 said:

Pretty easy.  It's very clear that they all move much better than he does on the court.  It doesn't take someone with 20/20 vision to see that.  Sarr is the fastest 7-footer I have ever seen.  It's obvious on tape that he moves better, is more agile, changes direction better, has more vertical pop...etc.  

I saw Edey's run.  He runs like the clunky f***er he is on the court.  

So now not only should you not believe me, not believe @NBASupes, not believe his stats but we should also ignore measuring tape, stop watches, sensors and cameras and trust solely in you? As long as I understand the rules of the fantasy, I can adapt.

• Haha 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

I just took it from this article showing Boban's max vertical of 23" compared to 31" for Edey.  That's a pretty huge difference that i think highlights what you can watch yourself.  Boban is much stiffer and less agile to me. 

Get to know Boban Marjanovic - Pounding The Rock

Thanks.  That is a helpful comparison with a sizable gap in that one area.  My guess is that if we had Boban agility, sprint, etc. numbers that he would have finished behind all these guys but I'm just guessing or eyeballing it based on old tape.  That is why I'm excited about having these numbers for everyone going forward.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, thecampster said:

I think based on the absurd "slow", "clumsy", "can't switch on the pick n roll" comments where the preference was Clingan....the below is all you need to know.

image.png.583e86b4048d413dab56d26090708ec0.png

I do think these numbers may hurt Clingan in the draft.  He got smoked by all of these guys in all of these drills whic raises some flags for Donovan.  Wouldn't be surprised if he dropped past where I was expecting him to go because of this unless he steps it up in workouts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AHF said:

I do think these numbers may hurt Clingan in the draft.  He got smoked by all of these guys in all of these drills whic raises some flags for Donovan.  Wouldn't be surprised if he dropped past where I was expecting him to go because of this unless he steps it up in workouts.

So here's where I contradict myself. Yes he performed poorly against the competition but his fundamentals, specifically his positioning, is solid and at his size, he'll be fine. Size wize, Clingan is pretty much Lopez. With good footwork, that will help him. He'll still go top ten.

But the narrative on Edey just isn't correct. This is just one more proof of that and why the stats make more sense now.

Clingan should also not go top 10, but that’s another argument.  You shouldn’t use high picks on drop bigs that have slow feet and can’t guard on the perimeter.  

I was good, even excited about Edey at #10 in this year's draft.  Moving up to #1 means that I must also move up.  Whoever we pick, and I hope it's Sarr, would not have been there at #10.

Someone is going to get a very good NBA center when they draft Edey.  There may be a lot of things that he can't do but there are things he will excel at.

:smug:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KB21 said:

So essentially every credible talent evaluator is wrong about Edey.  Got it.  

Many talent evaluators really like Edey. Just because you think anyone who doesn't agree with you is not credible is a you issue, not a we issue. 

I would take Edey over Clingan but it would have to be after #3

1. Sarr

2. Sheppard

3. Castle

4. Edey

5. Riscacher

6. Holland

7. Clingan

I'm not buying Topic and Dillingham or even Knecht or Buzelis until after 7

Sheppard has the chance to be the guard that people will look back and say.. yeah thats the guy (Donovan Mitchell, SGA, Curry, blah blah)

Edited by theheroatl

Posted (edited)

I still strongly believe, if Trae is staying, he's the only pick that makes us significantly better. Clingan makes us better. Sarr has the most long term upside but he's gonna be in College Park next year and the bench in year 2 unless we are tanking. 

Edited by NBASupes

2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I still strongly believe, if Trae is staying, he's the only pick that makes us significantly better. Clingan makes us better. Sarr has the most long term upside. 

Edey's age plays a factor in how GM's view him. 22 year old's don't necessarily get the same flash that 19 year old's do.. it is what it is.

They think of it as getting a used tire

Edited by theheroatl